“Not what you would expect”
Review of J Paul'z - CLOSED

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: James Island
Cross street: Folly Rd
Charleston, South Carolina
“Not what you would expect”
Reviewed 24 January 2014

This restaurant had been under constant discussion as to if it would be hit or miss for months, but it was a pleasant surprise in the end. I didn't know how you could fuse a tapas/sushi/grill, but it all made sense after going. It wasn't so much as "tapas" as "quality appetizers," the sushi had hints of a grill in it (several steak sushi rolls), and the entrees were good. The decor is really nice as well, but the best aspect we saw was the service via our server, Lindsey. For her service alone, we will return. Still, however, we would come back. The prices were good, the food was well worth it, and I really liked the selection. They basically have everything you want.

• Visited January 2014

Charleston, South Carolina, United States
“Quiet NYE”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I recently went to J Paulz to have a late dinner on NYE. I was surprised by how quiet and empty it was in the restaurant. I guess everyone else headed downtown. We selected the trio of dips and pita as an appetizer. This was a nice bite to curb my appetite until the rest of the food arrived. Because their two specialties seemed to be mac and cheese and sushi, I ordered a roll and the bacon and blue mac and cheese. I would have to say the Mamahoohoo roll I ordered was just average, but I really enjoyed the mac and cheese. It was even still tasty when I reheated the leftovers the next day. My husband ordered the ribeye and he said it was delicious. Overall, I would recommend.

• Visited December 2013
“Pleasant Surprise”
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Having seen the mixed reviews, but considering the convenient location three of us went to dinner on a Saturday night and were pleasantly surprised. The food was across the board excellent, having ordered from the tapas, sushi, and regular menu. The service was very good, and the place was casual but interesting. We will return.

• Visited October 2013
Charleston, South Carolina
“Not As Good As I'd Heard”
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I went to J Paulz during this past restaurant week with some coworkers. I haven't been to this establishment in several years, since it first opened, so I was surprised at how much quieter and less busy it was than in my memory. However, I had recently heard some pretty good things about the food from other locals, so I thought it would be worth giving another shot.

Brendan, our server, was pleasant, attentive, and helpful. Kudos to him. After perusing both menus, I chose to go with the restaurant week options since they sounded pretty tasty. I started with a cup of the roasted red pepper soup. It was alright, but a bit more on the sour flavor profile than I care for. Honestly, I have had some amazing roasted red pepper soups homemade in other Charleston restaurants, and this one did not live up to those. For my entree, I chose the shrimp risotto with spinach and basil. I was tempted at first to go with the sushi assortment, but after learning that the "assortment" almost exclusively contained tuna, I chose the risotto instead. The portion was on the small side which didn't surprise me since it's for restaurant week. However, the risotto was disappointing. The shrimp was seasoned perfectly but the risotto beneath it was bland and flavorless. Finally, for dessert, I had the creme brulee and no disappointments there. It's hard to do creme brulee wrong, in my opinion, so kudos on the delicious dessert.

Overall, the meal was just okay. I don't know if it was just sub-par because it's restaurant week and they don't want to put too much effort or money into a discounted meal or what, but I won't be in a hurry to go back. It used to be that restaurant week was a chance to impress people who otherwise might not come to your establishment. These days, however, it seems to have turned into a quick money-making scheme for restaurants to lure as many customers in as possible and churn out mediocre dishes on the cheap.

• Visited September 2013
“Consistently Good”
Reviewed 7 September 2013

J Paul'z is a regular stop for us after the movies for several years now. One side of the menu is Sushi and the other has lots of item as tapas and smaller dishes. Even if you order several items, they come out one by one. We have never been disappointed and it's always delicious. They also take food allergies seriously and have never had a problem. We'll continue to go there as we enjoy it so much

• Visited September 2013