“We keep coming back every year!”
Review of Ansonborough Inn

Ansonborough Inn
Ranked #12 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 21 March 2013

My husband and I got engaged in Charleston in Battery Park and then we got married there 13 years ago. Every year on our anniversary weekend, we go back to Charleston to celebrate. We have stayed in many bed & breakfasts and hotels in the area over the years, but in 2008, we discovered Ansonborough Inn and we haven't stayed anywhere else since. The rooms & lobby are beautiful, the furnishings & amenities are elegant and the location is ideal. All of the restaurants that we like and the shopping district are within walking distance and it is right across the street from a grocery store and a Starbucks, which is convenient if you've forgotten anything or just feel like going to grab a latte first thing in the morning!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CRSTucker
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2013

Wow! It is such a great feeling to hear that we have become a part of your Charleston anniversary celebrations. Thank you so much for choosing us year after year and for taking the time to share this in a TripAdvisor Review! I am so happy to know that you have enjoyed everything about the Ansonborough Inn. I can't wait to see you next year!

There are newer reviews for Ansonborough Inn

Reviewed 21 March 2013

We enjoyed a wonderful overnight stay here. We hadn't been in 20 years and it was as good or better than we remembered. Terrific room - huge and well furnished with a comfortable king bed, leather couch, 2 chairs, desk, flat screen TV and tons of room - and we had a small studio room!
We enjoyed the happy hour with free red or white wine, appetizers and the breakfast the following morning was great with hot and cold cereals, sausage on biscuits, fresh fruit, muffins and danishes etc.
We didn't have to check out till noon so we had time to check out the historic district and then we were told we could leave our car in their lot while we continued to check out the sites and take a wagon ride throught the Battery and surrounding area.
All staff we dealt with were very helpful and friendly.
It won't be 20 years before we return - maybe next year!
A great way to celebrate our 40th anniversary as it had been celebrating our 20th!

Room Tip: If you're looking for a hotel in the historic district that's easy to access and a great pla...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review on TripAdvisor! I am delighted to hear that you found the hotel to be as wonderful and charming as it was on your prior visit. It is great to know that everything about your stay was perfect and that you enjoyed the room, the breakfast, and the wine & cheese. Thanks again for the great review--I can't wait to see you in the future!

Reviewed 16 March 2013

Know before you book. As other Trip Advisor reviewers have noted, the Ansonborough Inn is not a quiet property; noise carries everywhere. When we checked in I specifically asked for a quiet room because I am a very light sleeper. I was assured that the junior suite on the first floor would be quiet because it faced away from E. Bay Street. However, it overlooked the dumpster that was visited each morning; it is located by the back stairway to the upper floors; and it is located barely off the lobby. So we heard everything. Fortunately, when the Inn was completely booked for two of the four nights that we were there, the group that was there was considerate of the Inn and its residents, rather than a louder crowd that might be there for a celebratory weekend. And we got past the fact that the 2000 major renovation obviously didn't consider how sound travels as part of the project. However, there was an air freshener in the space--because more than half the time, the room and the hall outside smelled like a sewer. Something is seriously wrong (and other TA reviewers have noted the same thing). The breakfast was fine--simple and adequate. The lovely evening cocktail hour could seriously use a dry white and a dry red--not everyone drinks sugary sweet wines. Did there used to be bathrobes based on some reviews I read? Was there supposed to be some sort of AAA discount per the AAA guidebook, which the Inn said "oh no, it's season." (Perhaps an error on my part?) We enjoyed our stay at The Inn, which is well located and beautiful from the outside; inside, one should just know what to expect before booking.

Room Tip: insist on a quiet room. there are probably a few.
2  Thank itsmyturnow
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor--I am glad to hear that all-in-all you enjoyed your time at the Ansonborough Inn. I am, however, surprised to hear about the issues you encountered during your time with us. I sincerely wish that I had been given the opportunity to address them while you were here and accommodate you in a room more to your liking. Although most of our guests love our location, it does mean that the sounds associated with a city do occassionally occur outside our property. First floor junior suites are quiet rooms and we rarely receive complaints about them; our 24 hour staff ensures that the lobby is kept quiet even when a "louder crowd" might be here. AAA members always receive the lowest available rates, as you did for the nights that you stayed with us. Although our honeymoon-class rooms (Premium Plus and the Admiral Suite) have bathrobes provided, we could have certainly placed some in your room if we had only known that you would have liked them. Thanks again for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor.

Reviewed 15 March 2013

We stayed with our daughter, and we loved our two-room suite. Our daughter (who is a good traveler) especially enjoyed our stay. Most of the guests were older; there were few children, and the few we saw were teens/pre-teens.

As the other visitors stated, the rooms are large, the architecture is interesting (loved the high ceilings with exposed beams), the staff are very nice —esp the dining room staff (Melisha) and the front desk. We also appreciated the large bathroom.

I believe another reviewer commented that the inn is not in the center of the historic district, but we found it to be a plus to walk through some beautiful residential neighborhoods (Hasell St, for example) instead of being next to a busy restaurant or another hotel or to hear the noise of busy streets, plus we have always enjoyed walking and exploring new cities.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank c i c

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor! It is great to know that you and your family enjoyed your time with us and that you found the room comfortable and large enough for all of you. I am also happy to hear that you found our location to be both convenient and quiet! It's great to know that you found the two block walk to the City Market and restaurants to be an enjoyable stroll. Thanks again for the terrific review on TripAdvisor--We hope to welcome you and your family again in the future!

Reviewed 15 March 2013

Early March in Charleston is a bit pricey, but I scoured Trip Advisor and found what seemed to be a lovely hotel in a good location at a fair price (less than many comparably rated and about 70% of the Marriott Courtyard rate...which I ROUTINELY pass up because it is ALWAYS too high.) That said, the lobby was beautiful and welcoming, and the staff friendly. But when we walked into our rooms...WOW!!! They were gorgeous, very high loft-type ceilings, comfortably (and stunningly) appointed. I never wanted to leave, but there was Charleston outside... I actually turned to my daughter and said this was NOT the most expensive hotel we'd been in, and don't tell Dad how luxurious it was (it was a girls-only trip). The staff made several good recommendations and they were friendly. Breakfast, with cereal, lots of fresh fruit, boiled eggs and sausage biscuits was included. There were fresh cookies, tea, coffee, etc. during the day in the same well-appointed, large hospitality room. But the late afternoon wine and cheese bar could easily been an inexpensive dinner. It included a FABULOUS freshly-made pimento cheese spread, fresh fruits and one or two more appetizers and red/white wine. The hospitality room at breakfast and late afternoon made a delightful gathering place for our group of 4 moms and 4 college age daughters. Once we gathered in the small, private PUB area and a few times by the beautiful fireplace setting in the lobby. The small group gathering spaces were part of the reason I picked the hotel...along with other Trip Advisor ratings. My Trip Advisor referrals have never led me astray!

Room Tip: We had four rooms and they all were beautiful. The only complaint was that one group had a honeymoon...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank bctravels54

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a fabulous review of the Ansonborough Inn! I am delighted to know that all of you enjoyed your time with us and that you found the hotel to be a good value, with enjoyable amenities. I am also glad to know that you found the staff friendly and that the whole hotel "worked well" for your group. It's great to hear that you loved wine and cheese, too! Thanks again for the great review and we hope to welcome all of you again in the future!

Reviewed 12 March 2013

This was booked on my behalf by clients in the area and I was absolutely delighted to be staying there. The space is architecturally very interesting, the staff is gracious and easy to deal with (even when arriving very late), the rooms are comfortable (and huge), and the location is fabulous. You are a couple of blocks from 'downtown' Charelston with tons of great food, gorgeous walking, and history galore.
I have only stayed on business but see lots of couples and families as well and everyone seems to be having a positive experience. The only thing that could make it better would be windows that open, but I ma from California so maybe that is just me...

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank OaklandMags

Thank you so much for the terrific review on TripAdvisor! It sounds like everything about your visit was exactly as you hoped for and I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your experience with us. Thank you so much for taking the time to write this great review and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you to the Ansonborough Inn again!

Reviewed 10 March 2013

Weekend in town to visit with friends, attend a function and host visitors from up North. As usual, the Ansonborough was excellent with spacious room and pleasant surroundings. Daniel and Jake were very courteous and helpful. Our favorite stop in Charleston.

2  Thank Al N

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor! I am delighted to hear that we have become your favorite stop in Charleston and that we have consistently provided you with an excellent experience. It's great to know that Daniel and Jake were both able to help you with anything you needed. Thanks again for the great review--we can't wait to see you again!