“Delightful historic hotel with very nice amenities”
Review of Ansonborough Inn

Ansonborough Inn
Ranked #12 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 25 December 2013

I will start with the good and then provide a very few concerns.
1. The rooms are huge and very well appointed. We were in a Junior suite and it had two rooms and a bathroom. There was a large leather couch and two chairs along with a table with two chairs, a refrigerator and microwave and sink in the living room. We really enjoyed the old secretary and the armoir. There were actually books in the secretary that we used while we were there. 16 food wood beam ceilings and a very comfortable bed with a large bathroom completed the suite. There were two flat screen TV's and many original art works on the walls. All in all a magnificent setting.
2. The staff were amazing. we asked about places to eat and were guided to several wonderful restaurants that we sampled during out visit. All were really wonderful. However, it gets better, there was one day that my husband became quite ill and was in bed all day. The housekeeper must have stopped by several times and saw the "do not disturb" sign up. At the end of the day, I left to go to the wine and cheese reception (see next area) and there was a basket with everything that we could need to replace in the room, new towels and washcloths, additional coffee and tea, more shampoo and soap etc, even chocolates for the pillow. We could not have been more pleased, I guarantee that a Hilton, or Hyatt would not have been so thoughtful.
3. Breakfast and wine and cheese every day. Some days the breakfasts were largely carbs when they offered french toast sticks (yes there were hard boiled eggs, however...) there was lots of fruit and cereal and toast and cinnamon buns. Some days there were eggs (other than hard boiled) and I preferred that but nice spread, and then the wine and cheese in the evening was lovely. During the weekdays it was really wine and cheese, (but all you wanted of that) but weekends had more interesting items. We were talking to some folks one evening and they were extolling the wonders of the Brie, we were not going to be able to be there the next evening when the Brie was going to be served. The server offered to bring some to our room so that we could try it. When we returned the next night, lo and behold, there was a plate of brie for us to try. How wonderful is that. Again, not what one would find in a Hyatt or Hilton!
4. Location. The location was quiet and right up the street from the majority of the restaurants. My husband and I are walkers so we walked the entire city several times over and found the location of the hotel to be perfect. We actually took our rental car out of their lot (a great perk) ONCE during the week that we were there. In addition, it turned out that it was a huge advantage being directly across the street from a full service grocery store. The day that my husband was ill, I walked over and got him some supplies and bought a meal that I could put in the microwave for myself. Perfect!
5. Now, the only negative, I guess because of the spectacular ceiling, we could hear every step when the people above us walked around. In addition, we could hear the folks in the next room like they were standing outside our door. I am not at all sure what can be done about this, but as it is clear that the hotel folks read these, I would suggest that you see fi there is some way you can soundproof the rooms. We were fortunate that there were very few people there the week that we were there in the beginning of December, AND that they all seemed to be on the same schedule as we were, so we, personally, were never disturbed by the sounds, however others might be.
All in all a great hotel and well worth the stay!

Room Tip: in order to avoid noise from above take a third floor room, preferably not under the roof terrace
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank clscpnp
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a fantastic review on TripAdvisor! I am absolutely delighted to hear such wonderful things about the staff here at the Ansonborough Inn, as well as the property itself. I encourage all of our staff to try to find the little things that will make our guests stay just that much more memorable. It is apparent that we were able to do that for you on more than one occassion. It is also great to know that our location was ideal for your exploration of Charleston. Thank you again for taking the time to write such a wonderful TripAdvisor review and more importantly, thank you for choosing the Ansonborough Inn--I hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 9 December 2013

We recently spent four nights at this beautiful boutique hotel that was once a historic warehouse. This gem, has its own parking lot and is conveniently located near the city market, many shops and restaurants. The decor of the entire place is superb with its many art pieces that adorn the walls and the central elevator with the glass wall that gives you a stunning view of everything as it transports you to your room. Our room was spacious with a wet bar at one end and a couch and chairs, at the other end with a very comfortable king bed in the middle.
I also loved the little desk area where I had no trouble connecting to the Wi-Fi...a must for me. The bathroom was also spacious and everything was very clean and kept that way the entire stay. We were both impressed with the hearty breakfast provided with many choices including a hot dish. There was also a complimentary "Happy Hour" that we really enjoyed. The staff went above and beyond to help you and certainly gave 100% towards your having an excellent stay at their establishment. That is why we give an A+ to the Awesome Ansonborough Inn !

Room Tip: Our room had a view of the water and was on the third floor. I did not see inside any other room but...
1  Thank Michelle W

Thank you so very much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review on TripAdvisor! It sounds like you love the Ansonborough Inn as much as we do. There truly is nothing better than knowing we have made our guests so very happy! It is wonderful to know that you found everything about the hotel to be so perfect for you. We are flattered to be on your hotel "Honor Roll" and hope that we have the pleasure of seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 1 December 2013

We visited Charleston for the first time in November with friends and were very impressed with the Ansonborough Inn for its location, comfort, friendly and helpful staff, and beautiful decor. The Ansonborough is perfectly located to all the sights in Charleston ... a short walk to the harbour for the ferry to Fort Sumper and water taxis to Patriot Point, the historic City Market, King Street, Waterfront Park, residential Historic District. The staff was exceptionlly helpful with tour suggestions and directions. The room rate includes a continental breakfast and late afternoon wine & cheese; both nice and convenient amenities. Our Petite Suite on the second floor was large, beautifully decorated, clean, and the bed was very comfortable. My only complaint would be that the walls were thin and you could easily hear conversations in adjacent rooms and hallways, however, it would not prevent me from staying there again. And, the Rooftop Deck is a MUST!!! Take your complimentary glass of wine/cheese/grapes and enjoy the beautiful scenery from the rooftop. I would highly recommend the Ansonborough Inn for your stay in Charleston!

1  Thank Diane M
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Thank you so much for choosing the Ansonboruogh Inn and for sharing your experience with the readers of TripAdvisor. I am delighted to hear that you found the inn to be perfect in so many ways and that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us! It is great to know that the front desk staff were able to help you plan your time in Charleston and that you found your room to be quite comfortable. It is also wonderful that you were able to enjoy some time on our rooftop terrace. Thank you again for your great review--I hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 1 December 2013

We stayed at the Ansonborough Inn for 2 nights during a tour we were with. The Inn is a beautiful space in a convenient location. Big and spacious rooms with comfortable beds. There was quite a bit of late night and early morning street noise. Besides that the accommodations were very comfortable.
Breakfast was provided each morning as part of our package. The breakfast was ok. The coffee was never really hot, but there seemed to be a rather large selection of breads and yogurts.
What surprised me the most about the hotel was the lack of service. Everyone at the front desk seemed cold. There were never any smiles- and many times there wasn't even anyone AT the desk.
I did not feel as though we were given a warm welcome. It felt more like we were an imposition. The first evening after returning from dinner we arrived back at the hotel around 10pm. And there was NO ONE at the desk. There was a note saying they had stepped away. I wanted an early morning wake up call so I waited for a few minutes but no one returned. I then went to my room and later called the desk for my request but there was no answer. I left a message and thankfully received my wake up call. But, it did concern me that the front desk was left unattended and anyone could come in to the hotel- I think I would choose another hotel when I return to Charleston. And that is too bad because this Inn has such potential.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road traffic
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to post this review on TripAdvisor. It is wonderful to know that you found your accommodations comfortable and that you received your wake up call as expected. I am terribly sorry that you found the hotel's service lacking. If you have read other reviewers on TripAdvisor, I am sure you have noticed the Ansonborough Inn is considered by most to have top-notch service. I am truly surprised that this was not what you experienced, as my staff goes to great lengths to ensure that our guests feel welcome and comfortable at the Ansonborough Inn.
The hotel is staffed twenty-four hours a day and our front door is only key-entry after 10:00pm. Please rest assured that people cannot just wander in to the hotel. The front desk employee left the sign saying they had stepped away for the very purpose of assuring guests that they were in the building, but had been called away from the desk. In the evenings our front desk agents have many responsibilities and take care of any requests our guests have. If your call was not answered and the desk was not attended, I am sure that my front desk agent was busily assisting a guest somewhere else in the hotel. As you mention, you did receive your wake up call as requested and anticipated; I am sorry no one helped you directly with the request.
Thank you again for taking the time to write this review on TripAdvisor. If you do return to Charleston, please consider contacting me personally, as I would love to have opportunity to assist with your reservation and assure you a pleasant stay.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

We spent one night at the Ansonborough Inn in Charleston and truly enjoyed the experience. As one other reviewer titled it, the Inn has a lot of character, with the large wooden beams and high ceiling. Our room was very spacious and comfortable. The breakfast selections were plentiful, and the wine and cheese a nice added touch. The people at the front desk were friendly and helpful. They recommended an excellent restaurant and made us a reservation.
The Inn is a short walking distance from the heart of the historic quarter, and we were happy to park the car and not have to drive to get anywhere. Finally, the price was very good.

The only downside was that, like any large building, noise carries. Our room was right by the front desk and we could hear anyone speaking in that area. We could also hear a couple talking in another room either next or above us. Fortunately, that didn't last very long, and we didn't find it a major issue at that time of the year.

We would definitely go back.

1  Thank Suzmo
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Thank you so much for taking the the time to write this lovely review on TripAdvisor. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your time with us and that you found the Ansonborough Inn to be comfortable and convenient. I am also delighted to hear that the front desk was able to assist you with all your needs and that they recommended an enjoyable restaurant. Thanks so much for choosing the Ansonborough Inn--I hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 20 November 2013

The Ansonborough Inn is a little to the east side of Charleston Centre but nicely between North and South so you can easily walk both.
It is an old warehouse and they left the big beams exposed, lots of art, old oil country paintings in keeping with the style. Rooms are very generous, clean, with a microwave. Good enough breakfast. Very helpful service. Nice roof terrace, not very much view though.

Room Tip: Try to be not under the roof terrace
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you so much for choosing the Ansonborough Inn and for sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor Community. It is great to know that you thoroughly enjoyed the character of our hotel! It is also great to know that you found our staff to be friendly and that your room met all your expectations. Thank you again for posting this review on TripAdvisor--I hope to see you back at the Ansonborough Inn again soon!

Reviewed 17 November 2013

I will not stay there again in spite of a very friendly and helpful staff. The location, although close to a very pretty area is not attractive. There are no pleasant views from this hotel at all. Not even from the deck. The decor, although elaborate but gloomy. No robes in a **** hotel?! But the most disappointing was a dismal breakfast.

Room Tip: our deluxe king room was spacious with a large bathroom. Depressing view.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

I would like to thank you for taking the time to offer a review on TripAdvisor, except that I am not entirely sure you are describing the Ansonborough Inn. I am certainly happy to hear that you found the staff friendly and helpful, but the rest of the review is surprising. The Ansonborough Inn offers panoramic views of Charleston's skyline: one can see the USS Yorktown, the beautiful Arthur Ravenel Bridge over the Cooper River, the rooftops of this incredible city and the working Port of Charleston. I do not entirely understand this view being referred to as "depressing;" perhaps it was simply not to your taste. As far as our breakfast is concerned, I also fail to see how fresh, hot Cinnamon Rolls, fresh fruits, a variety of cereals, breads, and yogurts, as well as a daily hot item could be termed "dismal." We promote our breakfast as a "deluxe continental" and we provide an exceptional breakfast of that nature. If you were looking for a made-to-order hot breakfast, I can certainly see why you were disappointed, but we definitely do not imply that this is what we provide. I am truly sorry that you were did not find the Ansonborough Inn to be the wonderful and special place that so many other reviewers on TripAdvisor describe.