“Charming historic hotel”

Ranked #12 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
uk
“Charming historic hotel”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

This hotel is quite delightful. The rooms are spacious and quite charming. The staff very helpful. It is in a great location. Complimentary bottle of champagne on New Year's Eve was a nice touch. Free wine and cheese in the afternoon. No evening dining.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Thank you so much for choosing the Ansonborough Inn and taking the time to write this review on TripAdvisor. I am so happy to hear that you found our hotel delightful and that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us. I am also glad to hear that you had a memorable and enjoyable New Year's in Charleston. I hope we recommended some great spots just seconds from the hotel for your evening meal--there are so many great restaurants within walking distance from the hotel that it would be impossible for us to compete. Thanks again for choosing the Ansonborough Inn and for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Atlanta
Reviewed 31 December 2013

I've been coming to Charleston for many, many years, and this was my first stay at Ansonborough Inn. We loved the location because it was close to many of the E Bay classic restaurants as well as the new restaurants on Upper King. It's about a mile walk to The Ordinary, but it's a really nice walk (you can always hop on a rickshaw).

Back to the hotel ... the rooms are very spacious with lots of exposed brick and gorgeous hardwood ceilings. We stayed in one of the suites which was super nice - big, comfy leather sofa and a little sink/bar area where we could keep drinks and snacks. The bed is very comfortable, nice artwork on the walls, and the bathroom is also spacious.

We did not experience any major problems with noise, but I bring my white noise maker everywhere I go. We also stayed on the 3rd floor (top floor), so we didn't have to worry about hearing footsteps above us.

The rooftop terrace has a beautiful view of the Charleston skyline - make sure you go up at sunset. They also have a daily wine & cheese hour, which we enjoyed.

One of my favorite things about this hotel is that you can hang the "do not disturb" sign outside and they will bring you a little basket filled with fresh towels, shampoo and soap. Big two thumbs up on this idea!!!

Lastly, I loved being able to walk next door to Harris Teeter for a bottle of wine, water, snacks, etc. Super convenient. We most definitely recommend this inn and would stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay on the 3rd floor if you can.
1 Thank SandBAtlanta
Wow! I cannot tell you how pleased I am to hear about your wonderful experience at the Ansonborough Inn! Thank you so much for taking the time to share this superb review on TripAdvisor. We want nothing more than to be our guests "home away from home" while they are in Charleston and it certainly sounds like we succeeded in this goal. It really sounds like you were able to enjoy all the different amenities and aspects of our hotel. I am truly delighted to hear that you found the walk to Charleston's many points of interest reasonable and that you were even able to enjoy sunset from the rooftop terrace! I am glad that you appreciated the courtesy basket of toiletry items--even when guests don't want their rooms made up, we know they still sometimes need extra toiletries and towels. Thank you again for this wonderful review--I hope to see you again soon!
Australia
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Five of us booked a loft room and it was ideal. We enjoyed the morning breakfasts. The staff were always very helpful.The location was a 10 minute walk from the center of the old town so it was quite convenient. We spent three lovely nights there and felt quite at home.

Room Tip: We booked a loft room and it was a very economical option for 5 adults.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Esther A
Thank you so much for choosing the Ansonborough Inn and for taking the time to write such a lovely review on TripAdvisor. "Elegance" and "Comfort" are certainly adjectives we strive for and I am glad that you found those words to be appplicable. It sounds like you found the perfect room for your party--there are only two premium lofts in the building and they are almost always reserved early. I hope that you have the opportunity to visit Charleston again and I am able to say "Welcome Back!" Thank you again for this terrific review!
Georgetown, Kentucky
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Everything you need for a stay. Extra touches like wine in the afternoon , cheeses and tasty snacks, , cofee available 24/7, cookies and hot cider. This is a special accomodation that is now my favorite. Can walk to all the sights in the historic part of town.

Room Tip: We had suite 337 , large and fabulous
1 Thank goodneighbor7
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Thank you! I cannot tell you how happy reviews like yours make all of us here at the Ansonborough Inn. There is nothing more rewarding than knowing we have succeeded in our #1 goal of pleasing our guests and being part of a wonderful and memorable trip to Charleston. I am so flattered to hear that the Ansonborough Inn is now your "favorite." I sincerely hope that I have the opportunity to welcome you back soon. Thank you again for this wonderful review, and more importatnly thank you for choosing the Ansonborough Inn!
WNC
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We spent a weekend with family & friends. One room was the loft which I highly recommend. Plenty of space and privacy for a family or two couples. Queen bed and half bath "upstairs" with a king bed, full bath, & living area (sofa, comfy chair, desk & bar area with sink & fridge) on entry level. The wine & cheese hour was a nice way to relax before going out on the town for dinner, especially on the rooftop terrace. The hotel staff from those behind the desk to those working the "dining" room to the maids were all extremely friendly and helpful. Some things were left behind when we checked out and a phone call was waiting for us when we got home before we even noticed we had left anything. Breakfast was plentiful and uncrowded. We had end rooms and did not notice any noise from other patrons nor the street. Highly recommend this inn.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Thank you so much for choosing the Ansonborough Inn and for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor! It is great to know that you enjoyed your time with us. There are only two premium loft rooms in the hotel--they are extremely popular, so it iswonderful that you were able to book one. I think that they are some of the best rooms in Charleston for families or a few friends to share. It is also very nice to hear that everyone you encountered was friendly and helpful and made you feel at home. I am happy to hear that we were able to reunite you with your left-behind items. I hope that if you return to Charleston we are able to say, "Welcome Back!" Thank you again for this great review!
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 25 December 2013 via mobile

We made a quick trip to Charleston. We made a reservation just three days before we arrived on Christmas Eve. We were not disappointed. Charming! Exposed beams, gilded framed paints of ships, dogs and more dogs. The staff were warm and friendly. The location is walking distance to many of Charleston's attractions. Close to the water but the views are not great. Breakfast was average continental fare. On Christmas morning to our surprise, we found a Christmas gift outside our door from the Inn staff!

Stayed December 2013
Thank you so much for choosing to spend Christmas at the Ansonborough Inn! I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that you enjoyed the hotel itself, as well as our location. It is great ot hear that the staff were able to assist you with whatever you needed. I am also so happy that you liked the Christmas stocking we placed on your door--it is always a treat to hear the surprised exclamations from people on Christmas morning when they relaize Santa found them at the Ansonborough Inn! Thank you so much for choosing the Ansonborough Inn and writing this wonderful review--I hope to see you again soon!
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 25 December 2013

I will start with the good and then provide a very few concerns.
1. The rooms are huge and very well appointed. We were in a Junior suite and it had two rooms and a bathroom. There was a large leather couch and two chairs along with a table with two chairs, a refrigerator and microwave and sink in the living room. We really enjoyed the old secretary and the armoir. There were actually books in the secretary that we used while we were there. 16 food wood beam ceilings and a very comfortable bed with a large bathroom completed the suite. There were two flat screen TV's and many original art works on the walls. All in all a magnificent setting.
2. The staff were amazing. we asked about places to eat and were guided to several wonderful restaurants that we sampled during out visit. All were really wonderful. However, it gets better, there was one day that my husband became quite ill and was in bed all day. The housekeeper must have stopped by several times and saw the "do not disturb" sign up. At the end of the day, I left to go to the wine and cheese reception (see next area) and there was a basket with everything that we could need to replace in the room, new towels and washcloths, additional coffee and tea, more shampoo and soap etc, even chocolates for the pillow. We could not have been more pleased, I guarantee that a Hilton, or Hyatt would not have been so thoughtful.
3. Breakfast and wine and cheese every day. Some days the breakfasts were largely carbs when they offered french toast sticks (yes there were hard boiled eggs, however...) there was lots of fruit and cereal and toast and cinnamon buns. Some days there were eggs (other than hard boiled) and I preferred that but nice spread, and then the wine and cheese in the evening was lovely. During the weekdays it was really wine and cheese, (but all you wanted of that) but weekends had more interesting items. We were talking to some folks one evening and they were extolling the wonders of the Brie, we were not going to be able to be there the next evening when the Brie was going to be served. The server offered to bring some to our room so that we could try it. When we returned the next night, lo and behold, there was a plate of brie for us to try. How wonderful is that. Again, not what one would find in a Hyatt or Hilton!
4. Location. The location was quiet and right up the street from the majority of the restaurants. My husband and I are walkers so we walked the entire city several times over and found the location of the hotel to be perfect. We actually took our rental car out of their lot (a great perk) ONCE during the week that we were there. In addition, it turned out that it was a huge advantage being directly across the street from a full service grocery store. The day that my husband was ill, I walked over and got him some supplies and bought a meal that I could put in the microwave for myself. Perfect!
5. Now, the only negative, I guess because of the spectacular ceiling, we could hear every step when the people above us walked around. In addition, we could hear the folks in the next room like they were standing outside our door. I am not at all sure what can be done about this, but as it is clear that the hotel folks read these, I would suggest that you see fi there is some way you can soundproof the rooms. We were fortunate that there were very few people there the week that we were there in the beginning of December, AND that they all seemed to be on the same schedule as we were, so we, personally, were never disturbed by the sounds, however others might be.
All in all a great hotel and well worth the stay!

Room Tip: in order to avoid noise from above take a third floor room, preferably not under the roof terrace
1 Thank clscpnp
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a fantastic review on TripAdvisor! I am absolutely delighted to hear such wonderful things about the staff here at the Ansonborough Inn, as well as the property itself. I encourage all of our staff to try to find the little things that will make our guests stay just that much more memorable. It is apparent that we were able to do that for you on more than one occassion. It is also great to know that our location was ideal for your exploration of Charleston. Thank you again for taking the time to write such a wonderful TripAdvisor review and more importantly, thank you for choosing the Ansonborough Inn--I hope to see you again soon!