“Very Nice”

Ranked #12 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Charleston, South Carolina
“Very Nice”
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights. Really enjoyed it. Rooms are very clean and comfortable. A few things to be aware of (wouldn't call them negatives).

Positives:

-Great location, a few blocks north of Market St and an easy walk down Hasell St to Meeting & King
-Nice amenities, free wi-fi, free breakfast, cookies and refreshments throughout the day, wine social in the evening
-Good value compared to other historic district hotels
-Across the street from 24hr Harris Teeter. Came in very handy a few times.
-Convenient parking right across the street. Not free, but no waiting for a valet or having to walk to a garage
-Roof top terrace. Nice views of the river and historic district.

Things to be aware of:

-There was a lot of noise in the room. Some street noise, but mainly from other rooms within the hotel. I guess it's the design of the place due to the high ceilings or something. Could clearly hear conversations in the next room and then we returned to the room one night after midnight to hear someone loudly snoring in either the room next door or below us.
-There was an odd odor in the room the first time we entered after checking in. I don't know if it was a cleaning agent that was used or if one of the staff used the toilet just before we got there, but that's what I would associate the smell with. If it was a cleaning agent or fragrance (and I hope it was) then you might want to consider changing to something else.
-The window was somewhat small and the sofa was in front of it. I understand the design of the building probably limits the size of the window and also placement of the sofa. There was a nice view of the river and Ravenel Bridge that could sort of be seen.

Like I said these were not negatives, but something for other travelers to be aware of in case such things might bother them.

Overall it was a great stay and we would definitely go back again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Thank you very much for choosing the Ansonborough Inn anf for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. I am so happy to hear that you really enjoyed your time with us and that you found our hotel to be comfortable, convenient and impeccably clean. It is great to know that you found our property to be a great value and the the Harris Teeter proved useful during your time with us. It is also nice to know that you had the opportunity to enjoy the great views from the rooftop terrace. Thank you again for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor--I hope that we have the opportunity to see you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 11 February 2014

This hotel had it all character, location, and service. Loved the lobby; the rooms were a bit dated but very clean and huge. The bed was SO comfortable, and I slept incredibly well. The location is perfect -easy to get to all the attractions, easy walk to restaurants/shopping/the market. This location would be particularly great in the height of tourist season to avoid the traffic chaos you will encounter with some of the other hotels in the area. The staff was great...very friendly and helpful. They even found us an umbrella as we forgot to bring one. We would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mariah G
Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review on TripAdvisor! I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed so much about the Ansonborough Inn. It is wonderful to know that our staff was able to assist you with all of your needs and that you found the location to be ideal for sightseeing. I am sorry you expereinced some inclement weather well you were in town, but it's great to know we had a loaner umbrella to offer you! Thanks again for writing this lovely review on TripAdvisor--I hope to see you again soon!
cork
Reviewed 2 February 2014

this hotel is great for location and also the lovely staff
we booked a suite one large bedroom and one tv room
with a pull out sofa bed and there was plenty of room
for everyone the breakfast was good and the wine
and cheese in the evenings was part of the deal
with plenty of both for everyone

Room Tip: all rooms seem big and the street was quiet
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor! I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed the Ansonborough Inn and found our accommodations to be pleasant and our staff to be helpful and friendly. It is also wonderful to know that the location of the hotel was perfect for you. I am also delighted to know that you enjoyed both the wine & cheese and breakfast. I hope that you have the opportunity to return to Charleston and that I have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Ansonborough Inn. Thank you again for taking the time to write this review and thank you, as well, for choosing the Ansonborough Inn!
Reston, Virginia
Reviewed 29 January 2014

We were searching for a nice place to stay with our grown daughter in Charleston. After looking at places for more than twice the price (because we needed at least 2 beds, one that had to be a king bed) we stumbled across the Ansonborough Inn. In addition to a spacious main "bedroom" with the required king, a spacious sofa and additional side chair, wet bar and mini fridge, the suite also offered a second loft bedroom with its own half bath. The beds were plenty comfy, the rooms commodious and the price a real bargain. If you are travelling with an adult child or two adult parties, the Ansonborough Inn is a a great place to stay. Within walking distance of everything.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Thank you so much for choosing the Ansonborough Inn and for taking the time to write this great review on TripAdvisor! I love our loft rooms and think that they are some of the most unique hotel rooms in Charleston. Since we only have two of them, they fill up fast and are frequently booked quite early. I am glad to know that you were able to reserve one and that it was exactly what you were looking for in a hotel! I am also happy to hear that you found our location convenient and the short walk to Market Street reasonable. Thank you again for taking the time to write this review on TripAdvisor! I hope to see you again soon!
North Carolina
Reviewed 24 January 2014

We stayed at the Ansonborough Inn over the MLK weekend. Our junior suite on the third floor cost $209. plus tax and parking. Parking was $15.00 per day and was conveniently located across the street. The junior suite was two large rooms, fridge, microwave, wet bar. It was comfortably and attractively furnished.
Problems: One television did not work and the internet was very spotty. I did tell the front desk on checking out. Breakfast was very ordinary.
Real plus: It was very quiet. The location was an easy walk to shops and restaurants. Access from the highway was very easy and that is a really nice quality in Charleston. Traffic is wretched and downtown the pedestrians are apparently unfamiliar with the use of sidewalks or crosswalks. Best course of action is to park and walk.Even though it was chilly and very windy, the rooftop bar was a perfect vantage point for the Holy City.
Recommended.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
I will add you to our fan club with pleasure! :-) Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review. I am glad to hear that all-in-all you enjpyed your time at the Ansonborough Inn.
I am sorry that you had any difficulties during your time with us, but I want you to know that after you brought the internet situation to my attention on the morning of your departure, we added an additional wireless transmitter to the third floor in order to "boost" the signal to even the farthest corners of the third floor rooms. I do wish that you had brought the television issue to me sooner--there was actually nothing wrong with the TV other than it was on a very high-numbered station that we simply do not receive. Once I changed the cable station back to single or double digits, the TV worked perfectly!
Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review on TripAdvisor and, more importantly, thank you for choosing the Ansonborough Inn. I hope to see you again in the future!
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Perhaps you've heard of "FOMO" - Fear of Missing Out. It's that feeling that something excellent is going on and you're not part of it. I have a bad case of travel FOMO, especially as it applies to hotels. I'm always looking for the best hotel for the best price (aren't we all?), not because I just have to have the best, but because I don't want to miss out on an awesome experience! This makes searching for a hotel in a city like Charleston a difficult experience because there are so many great hotels and inns to choose from. My requirements: historic property, walking distance to restaurants and shopping, and loaded with charm.Thank you Trip Advisor for leading to the Ansonborough Inn this time!

While the Ansonborough is in a more residential area and not right in the thick of the tourist area (a plus), it is just a couple of easily walked blocks from everything. It is across the street from a grocery store which comes in handy since the rooms have a refrigerator and microwave. There is also plenty of parking, a luxury in Charleston. Our package included free parking which is also rare. Our room was actually a suite with a large sitting area and a separate bedroom with a king bed. From the third floor I had the perfect view of the Cooper River Bridge. There is a roof top bar (not open when it's 20 degrees outside!) that has the same view. The sheets on our bed were exquisite! The hotel has a definite maritime feel since it's named after an admiral - lots of oil paintings of ships, and huge wooden beams everywhere. The lobby is beautiful with a fireplace and lots of seating. Off of the lobby is the lounge where breakfast is served (a great selection of hot and cold foods), where coffee and cookies are available during the day, and where wine and cheese is served every evening. There is also an authentic pub which we did not visit.

From the warmest welcome from the manager to the people serving in the lounge and the people behind the desk, everywhere we turned Southern hospitality was at its finest. I think I've finally found my "go-to" Charleston inn!

Room Tip: Third floor rooms have beautiful views!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
WOW--thank you so much for such a great TripAdvisor review! I am so happy that you didn't miss out, too! It is reviews like yours that truly make my day, because it means that we have been successful in creating a warm and welcoming hotel that people look forward to returning to after a day in our incredible city. I love knowing that when our guests think back on their trip to Charleston, the Ansonborough is actually a part of the memory, rather than an unremarkable back drop. I am so happy to hear that everything about the hotel lived up or surpassed your expectations and that you are already looking forward to return visit. I can't wait to say, "Welcome Back!" Thank you again for taking the time to find us on TripAdvisor and for sharing this wonderful review!
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Spent New Year's in Charleson visiting friends for New Year's and stayed at the Ansonborough Inn on Hasell Street. Overall, visit was very positive with great price point, nice ambiance and a fun location.

Strengths: You are not in the busy tourist section, but you are a short walk away from many great restaurants and shops. Location is also near a Harris-Teeter which is handy for beer runs and snacks. Rooms are large, with high ceilings and fun, unique layouts. Excellent value for Charleston. Hotel has a rooftop deck that is really nice and a fun hangout. Staff is friendly but not overly intrusive. Definately planning on going back.

Weaknesses: For a fine hotel, the breakfast is quite...well, mediocre. But, I always hit one of the local places for shrimp and grits. The place is well-maintained, but there are "shabby" spots where wear is starting to show. No real bar or restaurant but who wants to eat in a hotel restaurant in Charleston!

Overall, great value, good location, nice "vibe" and good staff. A definate "keeper".

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have roofs that get direct rainfall. The rooms have really high roofs, so the rai...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review on TripAdvisor! I am so happy to hear that the Ansonborough Inn was a part of your memorable New Year's festivities. It is also great to know that the staff provided the perfect level of service and that our location was ideal for all your needs. I am also happy to hear that although it must have been chilly, you were able to take some time to enjoy the rooftop terrace. Thank you again for this great review-- I hope to see you in 2014!