“Don't Ever Cancel Your Reservation.....You will still be charged” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ansonborough Inn

and 1 more site!
Ansonborough Inn
Ranked #14 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Don't Ever Cancel Your Reservation.....You will still be charged”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

I really couldn't believe this happened to us. After doing my research and reading a dozen or so reviews, my wife and I decided to stay at this hotel for a long weekend. We reserved one of the better rooms that they had. Unfortunately a huge winter storm came through a few days before we were to arrive and I knew we were not going to be able to make it since we live in a remote area. Some of the major roads/interstates were closed and the city projected that they would not be open for some time.

DURING the snow storm, I called the hotel, (48 hrs prior to us arriving), and they seemed VERY upset with me for cancelling. I informed the reservationist that we would love to make it, but the snow/ice would not allow us to make the 3-1/2 hour drive.

The reservationist stated we would be charged the full amount because she felt we should be able to make the drive in the ice/snow. I was someone taken back with this response. I told her unfortunately we will not be able to make it due to the inclimate weather and I requested again for her to cancel our reservation. She told me we would be charged the full amount and their was NOTHING I could do about it. She would not give me a cancellation confirmation number.

After I hung up the phone, I immediately called my credit card company and told them about the incident and to let them know I tried to cancel the reservation but we were not allowed to.

Just recently I got a letter from my credit card company informing me that Ansonborough Inn told them I DID NOT CANCEL THE RESERVATION THEREFORE I WAS BEING CHARGED THE FULL AMOUNT.

I could not believe Ansonborough Inn stated I did not attemp to cancel the reservation. Fortunately I called the credit card company the same day I tried to cancel with Ansonborough Inn to let them know I attempted to cancel the reservation. The credit card company has it on record that I tried to cancel the reservation but was not allowed to. I was informed I would get a full credit back on my credit card.

If I did not call the credit card company prior to the check in date, It would have been my word against this dishonest hotel and they would have gotten their money.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank DallasCowboyFan704
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear TripAdvisor User: I have read this review and appreciate your concerns. First and Foremost our potential guests can ALWAYS CANCEL a reservation without penalty, as long as it is outside of our cancellation policy. You actually state that you cancelled the reservation 48 hours before arrival. Weather reports had predicted potential inclement weather prior to 72 hours before your reservation, when you could have cancelled without penalty. Some guests chose to do this. Furthermore, this was a Special Event weekend. We had a large number of guests who travelled from North Carolina on that Friday and fulfilled their reservations as expected. We send out confirmation letters and tell all of our guests our cancellation policy when they make reservations, so there is no confusion as to when they may cancel without penalty. I was not the least bit upset with you for cancelling, but I did tell you the policy and explained the situation. I am sorry that you chose not to come to Charleston on what turned out to be a lovely weekend for the Southeastern Wildlife Exposition and regret that that our policies have left you so dissatisfied. Sincerely, Carrie Huston, Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

A truly unique inn right in downtown Charleston, only 2 blocks to the City Market. The Inn is in a building that was built in 1900 and was originally a warehouse I believe. It has been remodeled into a charming Inn. We were lucky enough to be in their Scarborough Suite, it was wonderful with a massive main room with vaulted ceiling and a wall of windows (only criticism of the suite is that it did front on East Bay Street and the traffic noise was a bit loud at times). The Inn also offers a complementary wine and cheese hour every afternoon plus a delicious continental breakfast. They also have their own parking lot (there is a charge but well worth it in busy Charleston) we left our car there and walked everywhere!
We would definitely return and highly recommend!

Room Tip: The Scarborough Suite is a great choice despite the traffic noise.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Longlkburd
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Thank you so very much for choosing the Ansonborough Inn and for sharing this wonderful review with the TripAdvisor Community. The Scarborough Suite is one of my favorite rooms, so I am so glad to hear how much you enjoyed it. I am also delighted to know that you found our location and parking to be convenient and that you thoroughly enjoyed our complimentary amenities. I cannot overstate how much it means to us to know that our guests have enjoyed the services and facilities that we provide. Thank you for making the Ansonborough Inn part of your visit to Charleston; I hope that we see you again in the future!
Palm Harbor, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

Charleston has maintain its historical look and the Ansonbough hotel follows that theme. It is a we'll maintain hotel with good size room that make you feel right at home. From the time we arrived to the time we left we where acknowledge and treated with great southern hospitality. The rooms where very clean and had all the comforts of home. The bed was a very comfortable king but the pillows where a little hard, which is not our preference. No fault of hotel. Once we got use to Charleston, we realized everything was within walking distance. So it was a plus because all our activities, our tours, and restaurants where within walking distance which we like. The best part was the price. You got a lot for what you paid for especial in Charleston

Room Tip: We had a room on the 3rd floor which I would recommend
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Thank you so very much for this terrific review of the Ansonborough Inn! I am so happy to hear that you were able to experience Southern Charm first hand during your time with us! It is also delightful to know that you found our hotel to be such a great value, with a convenient location and comfortable rooms. I am glad that you found us to be a good value for Charleston. I sincerely hope that you have the opportunity to visit us again in the future and that I am able to welcome you back to the Ansonborough Inn! Thank you again for taking the time to write this lovely review on TripAdvisor.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

This is a Great place to stay. Centrally located, wonderfully courteous staff. Breakfast included and quite good. Could not be better. Highly recommend as you will get an old South quaint feel. Had a car but never used it as it sooooo easy to walk everywhere you wanted to go! Good way to work off the calories from the Shrimp and Grits!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
WOW! Thank you for such a wonderful TripAdvisor Review. I am absolutely delighted to hear that you had such a perfect time at the Ansonborough Inn! I am so happy to know that everything about the Ansonborough Inn was exactly what you were looking for and needed during your visit to Charleston. It is wonderful to hear guests rave about our staff, our location and our rooms. The satisfaction of our guests means everything to us, so when we read these great reviews we are elated. I cannot thank you enough for choosing the Ansonborough Inn and then for sharing your rave review on TripAdvisor. I sincerely hope that I have the chance to welcome you back to our hotel!
Sewickley, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

We booked the Inn last year for the annual get together of six three couples (family) primarily based upon recommendations on Trip Advisor. All of us have been to Charleston previously but we wanted to try someplace different. The Inn is not quite as centrally located, meaning it's about a two block walk from Market St. The hotel is a bit eclectic and seems to have been created out of an old warehouse, with some interior brick walls and exposed beams. The rooms are well-sized and our suite (337) was especially large, seemingly a corner of the the building, with 20' ceilings and a very effective A/C system. Bedding was adequate. Housekeeping was good. Staff were very friendly. Pleasantly, the room rate included breakfast and wine and cheese in the evening, the latter an especially easy way to transition into dinner in town. There is a lovely potpourri smell in and near the elevator which perhaps would be nice if introduced very lightly into the rooms; having said that, I realize that might not suit everyone. The sign on the building's entrance said it had been updated in 2000, which seems to describe current conditions, although the furnishings are traditional rather than modern, with some older pieces thrown in for interest value. Everyone liked the place.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Thank you very much for choosing the Ansonborough Inn and for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor! I am so happy to hear that you and all of your friends liked the hotel and enjoyed the time spent with us. It is great to know that you found your suite comfortable (337 is a guest favorite!) and that the housekeeping was to your satisfaction. I am also happy to hear that you particularly enjoyed the ambient scent in the hotel, as well as the complimentary amenities we offer. I hope that you have the opportunity to visit us again in the future and we have the pleasure of saying, "Welcome Back!" Thanks again for this great review on TripAdvisor!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

Stayed in the Junior Suite. Very nice for 3 friends on a girls weekend. But Lobby can get noisy at night, the junior suites are off the lobby. Just be aware of that. Other rooms are up away from lobby but might not have the wonderful high ceilings we enjoyed. Breakfast each morning, not elaborate but fills you up. Nice wine & cheese spread in the evenings. Ask about rooftop terrace, fantastic views of city & seating up there to enjoy your wine & cheese. Staff was very courteous & efficient at all times. Parking is right next to hotel for $15 /day, off street which is nice & very rare in Charleston!

Room Tip: Higher rooms have less noise. But junior suites in first floor have high ceilings.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Thank you so very much for choosing the Ansonborough Inn and for taking the time to write this review on TripAdvisor! I am so glad that you enjoyed the hotel and the complimentary amenities that we offer. I am happy to hear that you were able to enjoy your wine and cheese on the rooftop terrace. It is also great to know that the staff was able to help you with whatever you might have needed during your time with us. Thank you for making the Ansonborough Inn part of you girls weekend! We hope if you have the opportunity to return to Charleston that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back! Thanks again for this great review!
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

We just returned from a 3-night stay at the Ansonborough Inn in March 2014. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone. The Inn is a cool, warehouse style building with enormous exposed wood beams visible throughout the 3-story lobby. We had a "king suite" on the third floor (which wasn't a traditional suite, but a roomy single room with a couch.) The room and bathroom were spacious and clean. There is an enormous art collection throughout the Inn, which adds to its uniqueness and charm. The staff was friendly and helpful with dinner recommendations and reservations.

The complimentary breakfast is fantastic, with lots of options. There is also a complimentary wine and cheese offering every evening (the wine wasn't great, but it was free and the pimento cheese was amazing!)

My only two criticisms:
1.) While the main areas of Charleston (Amen St, etc) are a very short walk, the Inn itself is located in an industrial area adjacent to the cruise terminal. A Carnival cruise was departing on our second day in Charleston, which led to lots of traffic, police activity and noise in the area. The Inn is on a corner, and is really surrounded by abandoned, weedy lots and garages.

2.) We were traveling with our 5 year old son, and I wouldn't necessarily consider the Inn (or Charleston in general) super child-friendly. Most of the other guests at the hotel seemed to be of retiree-age and we didn't see any other children there.

For couples traveling without children, I would highly recommend this hotel!!

Room Tip: Request the third floor!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank heatherbessie
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this lovely review on TripAdvisor! I am so happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your time in Charleston and your lodging at the Ansonborough Inn!
As far as the cruise ships go, Charleston is debarkation/embarkation port for the Carnival Fantasy every five days. The police do an excellent job of routing traffic out of the major tourist areas and the ship leaves promptly at 4:00pm, which limits the duration of activity. Without the police, the traffic would be far worse! You also mention "abandoned lots" in our vicinity, but there is not a single abandoned lot that I cank think of near our building. Perhaps you were mistaking some of the Port of Charleston?
I am sorry that you were not wholly satisfied with the kid-factor of Charleston, but with Carriage Rides, the Children's Museum, the Aquarium, and Harbor Tours most people who are travelling with kids anticipate an educational visit to this historic city.
Thank you again for this lovely review on TripAdvisor--and, of course, thank you for choosing the Ansonborough Inn!