“Wonderful place to stay while in Charleston”
Review of Ansonborough Inn

Ansonborough Inn
Ranked #12 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
“Wonderful place to stay while in Charleston”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Using Trip Advisor's reviews we stayed at the Ansonborough Inn along with two other couples and we were not disappointed. The rooms were large and the beds were very comfortable. We enjoyed the breakfast that was available in the morning. The wine and cheese hour was a wonderful addition to our stay and a great way to mix with other guests. The Inn was also close to many restaurants and the City Market. We would stay here again if we returned to Charleston.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Thank you very much for choosing the Ansonborough Inn and for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor! I am so happy to hear that your research paid off and that you and your friends were delighted with our hotel throughout your stay. We all love knowing that our guests have enjoyed everything about our property and that they hope to stay with us again in the future. Thank you again for this great review--I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
Bluffton, South Carolina
Reviewed 13 May 2014

My husband, 3 year old daughter, and I planned a last minute getaway and there was a great deal at the Ansonborough Inn. Parking was great! Check in was super easy and the staff was friendly! Our room was amazing! I love the old charm of this hotel! We did a two room suite and loved it. The wine and cheese hour was yummy! Breakfast the next morning was delicious! Love how close this hotel was to downtown and the Aquarium! Will stay again for sure:)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank SBCoey
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Thank you so much for this great TripAdvisor Review! I am so happy to hear that we were able to accommodate you at the last minute in a great room at a great rate. I am also happy to hear that you found everything about the hotel to be friendly, comfortable, and convenient. Thank you very much for choosing the Ansonborough Inn--it is so wonderful to know that we are part of your family's happy memories of their visit to Charleston. I hope to see you again soon!
Saginaw, Michigan
Reviewed 12 May 2014

There are just so many wonderful things to say about this inn that I don't know where to start! We were fortunate enough to stay in a premier loft room which had a king sized bed upstairs & a double bed downstairs. This inn thought of everything to make your stay comfortable - the hospitality center has 24/7 coffee, sweet tea, lemonade, ice water, fruit & cookies. The wine & cheese spread they serve daily was just delicious! The inn also has wonderful air conditioning which was great since it was in the 90's last week. All of the original oil paintings were beautiful & fun to look at. I would only stay here if I were returning to Charleston.

Room Tip: If you can afford to, book a premier loft suite. Unbelievable!!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sharon G
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
WOW! I cannot thank you enough for sharing this great review on TripAdvisor! I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed everything about your stay---from your room, to wine & cheese, and even the air conditioning. It is also great to know that we were able to accommodate you in a premium loft and that it perfectly suited your needs. There are only two premium lofts in the building and they are some of our most popular rooms, so it's great to know you were able to stay in one. Thank you again for this great review and thank you choosing the Ansonborough Inn! I look forward to seeing you in the future!
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We also had a room under the stairs behind the front desk. My husband and I enjoyed the hotel very much - the breakfast was good, and the wine and cheese every night was lovely...loved the housemade pimento cheese. The people at the front were very helpful, and apologetic about the guest who dragged her suitcase down 2 flights of stairs, hitting every step...what can you do about that? This hotel has a unique layout, and I imagine every room is a little different, since it was a converted 19th century building. We had 2 chandeliers, one in the bedroom and one in the living room, but not much of a view. Lovely artwork (originals?) on the walls all over the hotel. Our room was a little noisy, but I think an older, converted space is just not going to be as quiet as a brand new box. Lovely rooftop deck. I was happy with our stay and we will stay there again next time we come to Charleston. Handy location, close to lots of restaurants and sites - the only time we got in our car is to go out to Kiawah. Just down the street from the store if you need anything.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank A_and_Zs_Mom
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Thank you for this great review! I love knowing that our guests have had a great visit to Charleston, as well as to the Ansonborough Inn! It is wonderful to hear that our staff was able to make you feel at home and assist you with whatever you needed. (I still can't believe that suitcase situation and I stopped it as fast I could get up the stairs! Most people use the elevator, so that virtually never happens!) Thanks for understanding some of the challenges that come with having a historic building--we do everything we can to minimize the occurrence of noise issues. I am glad to hear that you also enjoyed the rooftop terrace, as well as the convenience of our location. Thanks again for taking the time to write this review--I hope to see you in C-Town again soon!
Germantown, Tennessee
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We enjoyed our 3 night stay at the Ansonborough Inn. The staff was pleasant and professional and our room was spacious with frig, microwave and wet bar. The Inn's location is excellent for walking - half way between the Battery and the Aquarium. The window in our room was high, so there was not an actual view, which may be a negative for some, but did not bother us. The room was clean, but the carpeting was a bit tired and the bathroom lighting was too dark for applying makeup. However, none of these things were deal killers and we would definitely stay there again - especially to enjoy taking some drinks up to the rooftop deck in the evening.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank choctaw914
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to post this review to TripAdvisor. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time in Charleston and at the Ansonborough Inn. It is great to know that you found the staff pleasant and professional and the room was comfortable for your stay. I am glad to hear that you were able to enjoy some time on the rooftop terrace and that you found our location to be central and convenient. Thank you again for reviewing us on TripAdvisor and, of course, for choosing the Ansonborough Inn! I hope to see you again soon!
Hampstead, New Hampshire
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I just returned from a short visit to Charleston and staying at the Ansonborough Inn. I can't say enough about the Inn and what a pleasant experience it was. It started with parking which was located directly across from the Inn with easy access. Our room was extremely spacious with 15+ foot ceilings. The room had everything you needed and more which included a coffee maker, sink, and refrigerator. The next morning breakfast was served from 7-10 and included eggs, pancakes, fruit, muffins, and much more. All this was included in the room price. A wonderful wine and cheese cocktail hour was held from 5-6. The Inn also has a rooftop terrace for a quiet getaway with a beautiful view of Charleston and it's surrounding. The Inn definitely made a lasting impression. I would not hesitate to stay at the Inn the next time I visit Charleston.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paula a
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Thank you so much for this great TripAdvisor Review! There is nothing that makes me happier than knowing our guests have had a fantastic and memorable experience at the Ansonborough Inn! It is great to hear that from beginning to end your time with us surpassed your expectations. I love knowing that you had the opportunity to enjoy our rooftop terrace and that our hotel is now part of your great memories of a wonderful visit to Charleston. I hope I have the opportunity to welcome you bacl in the future. Thank you again for this terrific review!
NJ
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Our room was located on the first floor right by the stairs. The first night of our stay we had arrived after driving over 12 hours so we went to bed fairly early that night. We woke up several times due to people walking up and down the stairs and the lobby noise. Nothing crazy but just people talking. The walls must be very thin because you can hear people in the next room or above you as well. When we arrived it was in the middle of a bad rain storm. The room had a very strange smell which we were told was due to the area being damp and by the water. Otherwise the hotel was very neat and clean and has a lot of charm. It is a shame the noise and smell take away from that. They have a unique facility and would be really nice minus those two things. The breakfast was nice and the people who worked in the dining area were very pleasant. I really wish it worked out differently because we will be returning to the area frequently and would have loved to return given a different experience.

Room Tip: Maybe a room on the second or third floor would be better???
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank tratrh
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review the Ansonborough Inn on TripAdvisor. I am sorry to hear that there were aspects of your room that you were not pleased with. The city of Charleston is very near sea level and occassionally experiences street flooding during high tide and significant rainfall. Additionally, the Ansonborough Inn is located in a 100 year-old historic renovated paper warehouse. From time-to-time some of our rooms will have a slight odor that is not offensive to all of our guests. This odor dissipates once the flooding decreases and the water evaporates. I am sorry to hear that this was so detrimental to your time at the Ansonborough Inn that you would not stay with us again.
I would encourage you to please give me a call on your return visit to Charleston--I would love the opportunity to have you stay with us again, perhaps in a room on a higher floor and hopefully in drier weather!
Thank you for taking the time to write this review--I hope to hear from you in the future!