“In the Heart of Charleston”
Review of Ansonborough Inn

Ansonborough Inn
Ranked #12 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I'm 21, I stayed here with my mom, we had a lot of fun on our trip. I highly recommend staying here. The Inn itself is beautiful... but there is an astounding amount of framed paintings of dogs... very strange. It is within walking distance of many activities (market, tours, food, etc...), though I do not think that parking is included if you have a car with you. There is a 24/7 supermarket directly across the street, which is convenient. The beach is a short drive away. Breakfast and happy hour included; coffee, tea, water, juice, and cookies are available all day next to the lobby. I have to agree with some of the other reviews about the acoustics, you can hear the noise from the city, but I can't say that you could hear people in nearby rooms. The fitness center, however, sucked; one extremely noisy treadmill, one elliptical, and something of a mediocre Bowflex in a closet-sized room.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Ekrause65
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review the Ansonborough Inn on TripAdvisor! I am so happy to hear that you and your mom had fun on your trip to Charleston. It is great to know that you enjoyed our location and complimentary amenities. I am also happy to find out that you found the hotel beautiful. Most people love our dog paintings--but there are plenty of non-dog paintings throughout the hotel as well. Although our fitness center is small, we have found that it suits the needs of most of our guests that want to use exercise equipment. Thank you again for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. I hope you have the chance to come back soon!

Reviewed 13 June 2014

...by the acoustics in this boutique hotel. If you drop a pin on the ground floor; you'll hear it drop on the 3rd floor. Our party was returning from dinner one night. Got back in our room and rec'd a call from the front desk. Apparently they could hear us laughing -- and we were in a corner room on the 3rd floor. Trust me when I say we were not loud. It's just impossible for noise to stay contained in your room apparently. And because we were in a corner room...we heard EVERYTHING happening outside starting at 6:45 am.

Loved the rooftop -- but don't expect the bar to be open on Sunday night. And for that matter, the bar is only open for a short amount of time any other night.

The rooms had a funky vibe which we enjoyed. They were clean and the loft situation allowed some space & privacy without having to get separate rooms.

In fact, now that I think about it, the rooftop was probably the coolest feature. You had a good view of the ships coming & going as well as the Ravenel bridge.

There's a Harris Teeter grocery store right across the street; very convenient. Suggest you bring your own libations & snacks and adjourn to the roof for the sunset.

Not a bad place but I doubt I would stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank GypsyAtLast
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

First and foremost, I would like to thank you for choosing the Ansonborough Inn. The great majority of our guests have truly wonderful experiences at our hotel and look very forward to coming back. I am truly sorry that you do not feel this way, despite the fact that your ratings make it appear that you actually found a lot to like about your time with us!
In regards to hotel noise, most of our guests do not experience noise issues, but certainly one of the challenges of an historic building is the fact that some sounds carry. In many cases, after a lovely evening out on the town, guests don't realize just how boisterous they are being when they return. In these cases, we do make a courtesy call just to remind them of the situation and to request that they please be courteous of the other guests.
In regards to the pub, I am not sure why you thought it had such limited hours. It is actually available all day long for guests to enjoy a cocktail, including at breakfast, should a guest like a Bloody Mary or Mimosa. There is a sign in the pub that states that the front desk agents also serve as bartenders, so although the pub is not continuously staffed, we are always ready to make drinks. I can't tell for sure if you thought there was a separate bar on the rooftop, so perhaps that is why you thought there were such limited hours. And you are absolutely correct about Sunday alcohol sales: we do not have a Sunday liquor license; therefore our pub is not open on Sundays. I am sorry that you found this to be such an inconvenience that you specifically mention it in your review. With the Harris Teeter right across the street and so many bars open nearby on Sundays, yours is the first criticism I have received in regards to our lack or alcohol sales on Sundays.
I am glad that you enjoyed the time that you spent on the rooftop and that you also enjoyed the "funky vibe" of the property in general. I am also happy to hear that the loft room suited your needs for two beds and privacy between the beds. It appears from your ratings that you found much to like about the Ansonborough Inn, so I am sorry that the you do not think that you would choose to stay with us again.
Thank you for taking the time to post this review--if you do chose to return to the Ansonborough Inn, please feel to contact me personally and I will do my best to ensure that you have a wonderful visit.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

My daughter and I stayed at the Ansonborough Inn a few nights ago, and I can't recommend it highly enough. We usually stay at a very upscale, large hotel in the area but were looking for a different experience. The Ansonborough Inn delivered in every way! The location is great and is within walking distance to everything. We were very pleasantly surprised when we opened the door and found extremely high ceilings, two fluffy beds, exposed brick walls, leather sofas, chandeliers (with dimmers), and a lovely bath. It is very charming! We loved the rooftop terrace! The staff was courteous and helpful, assisting us with restaurant recommendations and directions. Don't hesitate to book here. It is a hidden gem!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you very much for choosing the Ansonborough Inn and for taking the time to post this great review on TripAdvisor! I am delighted to know that you and your daughter had a wonderful visit to Charleston and to our hotel. It sounds like your room was perfectly suited to your needs and that everything about your stay exuded Southern Hospitality and Charm. I am happy to hear that the staff was able to assist you with any requests and needs that arose and that the weather was pleasant enough to enjoy our rooftop terrace. Thank you again for this great review and for choosing the Ansonborough Inn! I hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 11 June 2014

Not only was the location superb (easy walking to restaurants, shopping, bars, the Harris Teeter across the street and a few simple turns to be at Folly Beach in around 20 minutes), but the interior decor and the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff exceeded expectation. You feel as if you're staying in a bed and breakfast, with exposed beams and lovely oil paintings on every wall. And even the complimentary breakfast was surprising in how many options you are offered. You can tell that everyone, from front desk staff to the lovely young women who serviced our room were happy and enjoyed their jobs. I coordinated several rooms and had to adjust them several times, which the front desk staff was more than happy to accommodate - I will always come back to Charleston, and now I will always book at the Ansonborough!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

I cannot thank you enough for this wonderful review on TripAdvisor. It is reviews like yours that really make our day, as we know that we have succeeded in providing guests with a memorable and happy visit both to Charleston and to the Ansonborough Inn. You are correct in stating that we enjoy your jobs. This is part of the reason reviews like yours bring a smile to everyone's face. Not only do we love our jobs, we love the Ansonborough Inn, so it is particularly rewarding when our guests love it as much as we do! I am so glad to hear that you had multiple rooms and that everything went smoothly with any adjustments and changes that you needed to make your reservations. Thank you again for writing this great review and, even more importantly, thank you for choosing the Ansonborough Inn. I look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Traveled to Charleston on vacation and enjoyed our stay at this quiet spot close to downtown. The rooms were well appointed, the bed very comfortable, and with soaring 15-16 foot ceilings and giant oak beams, it felt like being in a castle. The staff was very accomodating, always pleasant and courteous. The rooftop terrace was a wonderful retreat. There is no service up there, but you're welcome to bring your own refreshments. Breakfast was included, and had a wealth of fresh fruit, pastry and one hot item. The wine and cheese hour in the evening was also very nice and included fresh fruit as well. We spent the time on the roof enjoying the snack in that peaceful setting. No restaurant, pool or spa, but we wouldn't have used them anyway, and there are great restaurants and other services very close by. Definitely recommend this place, and we will be back.

Room Tip: The Junior Suite is worth the extra money for an even more spacious room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for choosing the Ansonborough Inn and for sharing this wonderful review on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to hear that we were a "restful retreat" after your days exploring Charleston. It is great to know that you found the hotel convenient, the room comfortable, and the amenities to be substantial and pleasant. I am glad to see that you were able to enjoy some time on the rooftop and take in the great views of Charleston. Thank you very much for saying that you would recommend our property to others--it is wonderful to hear that we have been recommended by previous guests when new guests check in. Thanks again for choosing the Ansonborough Inn and for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor! I hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Very large room and very friendly staff. Location is great and almost anything is reachable by walking or pedicab. Nice rooftop deck. Old Stationary warehouse converted to an Inn. We rode our tandem locally for breakfast and then over the Ravenel bridge. Charleston is much more bicycle friendly then in the past.

Room Tip: We had a basic room and it was very large.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for choosing the Ansonborough Inn and for posting this great review on TripAdvisor! I am so happy to hear that everything about your stay with us--from the room, to the staff, to the location--were exactly what you were looking for and that you had a great visit to Charleston! I am also happy to hear that you found Charleston in general to be more bicycle friendly than on previous visits. It must have been delightful to ride a tandem bike over the gorgeous Ravenel Bridge! Thanks again for this great review--I hope that we see you again soon!

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Walking distance to the Market, great staff, great bar and a beautiful room. This place is worth the money for a romantic get away but close to the action. Some people might not like being street level but it's not too loud.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for sharing your great experience at the Ansonborough Inn on TripAdvisor! It sounds like everything was perfect during the time that you spent with us and I am delighted to hear that this was the case. Reviews like yours means that we have fulfilled our goal of ensuring that our guests go home with wonderful memories not only of Charleston, but also of the Ansonborough Inn. Thank you so much for choosing the Ansonborough Inn and for taking the time to write this review. I hope to see you again soon!