“Couldn't have been better”
Review of Ansonborough Inn

Ansonborough Inn
Ranked #12 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Had a great stay at the Ansonborough Inn. It is a visually beautiful place. We liked the fact that it was not on a heavily trafficked area but close enough to walk to the major sites. The breakfast was fine and it was great having their own parking area. The staff was very friendly and extremely helpful. The wine and cheese at 5 every day and the rooftop terrace were bonuses. We loved the city of Charleston and if we ever return, we will stay here.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank calitri
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Thank you very much for choosing the Ansonborough Inn and for taking the time to write this terrific review on TripAdvisor! I am so happy to hear that your time with us "couldn't have been better," as we strive for all of our guests to feel that way! I am so happy to hear that everyone you encountered in the hotel was helpful and friendly and that you found our location to be convenient. I am also glad to hear that you enjoyed the rooftop terrace. Thank you again for this great review--I hope you DO have the opportunity to return to Charleston and I am able to say, "Welcome back!"

Reviewed 19 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at this beautiful inn for 2 nights on our southern honeymoon. This was hands down THE best place we stayed our entire trip from Myrtle Beach to Savannah, GA! The Ansonborough is so unique and charming. The parking is so convenient and so is the grocery store right across the street. You are relatively close to everything with just a few minute walk to the main sites.

The rooms were so beautiful, clean, and spacious! Yes, you do get a lot of noise traveling from other guests in their rooms, but it IS an old building with high ceilings. Nothing was so bad that we needed to complain.

The complimentary breakfast was very good...but the wine social?! FANTASTIC. Such a delightful perk for guests who are enjoying a vacation. It's a very nice touch to make you feel welcome and make your stay even more special.

Finally, the staff is so helpful and sweet. Any question we had about dining, tours, sightseeing, parking, etc - they were more than willing to help. We ended up visiting a restaurant that was the best on our whole trip - thanks to the lady at the front desk.

All in all, we would definitely recommend this inn to anyone visiting Charleston and would love to come back for an anniversary some time!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 1210emily
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

WOW! Thank you so very much for choosing the Ansonborough Inn as part of such a very special occasion. I am delighted to hear that we are part of your happy memories of the beginning of your "happily ever after!" I cannot fully express how delighted I am to learn that everything about your time with us perfect. It is wonderful to know that you found our location convenient, your room beautiful, and the staff helpful.
It is also great to know that you give our complimentary amenities such glowing reviews, as well. We have tried really hard to make wine and cheese an "event" that our guests look forward to attending.
I am also so pleased to hear that the staff was yet another aspect of your time with us that contributed to your enjoyment of the Ansonborough Inn! It is wonderful to know that we were able to provide you with some great suggestions of places to go and things to do!
Thank you again for this truly wonderful review--all of us here at the Ansonborough Inn read these reviews and it means a great deal to us when our guests can't wait to return! Congratulations on your nuptials and we, too, hope to see you on your anniversary! (Feel free to request the same room and we will do our best to make sure you get it!)

Reviewed 18 June 2014

In May my friend and I stayed at the Inn for three nights. We were immediately impressed by the beautiful lobby with exposed brick and interesting woodwork. What began in the lobby was continued in the comfortable, spacious guest rooms. This converted factory has charm and character. Every evening wine and appetizers were offered in the lounge/breakfast room, a room decorated with wonderful oil paintings. One night we brought our wine to the rooftop lounge where we could relax and look out on the harbor. Breakfasts are also worth mentioning. A wide selection of breakfast foods were provided by pleasant, friendly and gracious staff. The inn is an easy walk to the market and also has a well-lit parking lot across the street.

Room Tip: We chose a mini-studio which had a separate seating area, microwave, fridge, and sink. It was very...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank DJMADM

Wow! Thank you so very much for this wonderful TripAdvisor Review. And thank you, as well, for choosing the Ansonborough Inn! I am so delighted to know how thoroughly you enjoyed everything about the time you spent with us. I am so happy to hear that you appreciated the charm and character, as well as the decor, of the hotel. It sounds like you loved the Ansonborough Inn as much as I do! I am also so pleased that all of our complimentary amenities surpassed your expectations. Perhaps most importantly, I am so pleased to be told that the breakfast staff was pleasant, friendly, and gracious. Your review has been posted in our break room, so EVERYONE can see how much their assistance means to our guests! Thank you again for this great review--I hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future!

Reviewed 18 June 2014

I was truly impressed with the Ansonborough Inn. Not only is it a beautiful hotel, located in an renovated paper warehouse, but the hospitality we were offered was wonderful. We contacted the hotel fairly late in the day for a reservation that same night, but they still had two rooms available for that night. The concierge actually showed us both rooms and explained the amenities of each before offering us our choice. The room was impeccably clean, and the bed was comfortable. We felt that the price was very reasonable, especially given the Ansonborough's proximity to Charleston's top restaurants and attractions. I would definitely stay here some other time.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Katie S

Thank you very much for choosing the Ansonborough Inn and for taking the time to write such a great review on TripAdvisor! I am so happy to hear that we were able to accommodae you during a very busy week in Charleston. I am also delighted to know that the front desk agent gave you your choice of rooms and you were able to select the ideal one for your time with us! I am glad that everything about the room was perfect--cleanliness, comfort, AND price! Thank you again for this great review--I sincerely hope that you have the opportunity to visit us again in the future!

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I'm 21, I stayed here with my mom, we had a lot of fun on our trip. I highly recommend staying here. The Inn itself is beautiful... but there is an astounding amount of framed paintings of dogs... very strange. It is within walking distance of many activities (market, tours, food, etc...), though I do not think that parking is included if you have a car with you. There is a 24/7 supermarket directly across the street, which is convenient. The beach is a short drive away. Breakfast and happy hour included; coffee, tea, water, juice, and cookies are available all day next to the lobby. I have to agree with some of the other reviews about the acoustics, you can hear the noise from the city, but I can't say that you could hear people in nearby rooms. The fitness center, however, sucked; one extremely noisy treadmill, one elliptical, and something of a mediocre Bowflex in a closet-sized room.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Ekrause65

Thank you for taking the time to review the Ansonborough Inn on TripAdvisor! I am so happy to hear that you and your mom had fun on your trip to Charleston. It is great to know that you enjoyed our location and complimentary amenities. I am also happy to find out that you found the hotel beautiful. Most people love our dog paintings--but there are plenty of non-dog paintings throughout the hotel as well. Although our fitness center is small, we have found that it suits the needs of most of our guests that want to use exercise equipment. Thank you again for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. I hope you have the chance to come back soon!

Reviewed 13 June 2014

...by the acoustics in this boutique hotel. If you drop a pin on the ground floor; you'll hear it drop on the 3rd floor. Our party was returning from dinner one night. Got back in our room and rec'd a call from the front desk. Apparently they could hear us laughing -- and we were in a corner room on the 3rd floor. Trust me when I say we were not loud. It's just impossible for noise to stay contained in your room apparently. And because we were in a corner room...we heard EVERYTHING happening outside starting at 6:45 am.

Loved the rooftop -- but don't expect the bar to be open on Sunday night. And for that matter, the bar is only open for a short amount of time any other night.

The rooms had a funky vibe which we enjoyed. They were clean and the loft situation allowed some space & privacy without having to get separate rooms.

In fact, now that I think about it, the rooftop was probably the coolest feature. You had a good view of the ships coming & going as well as the Ravenel bridge.

There's a Harris Teeter grocery store right across the street; very convenient. Suggest you bring your own libations & snacks and adjourn to the roof for the sunset.

Not a bad place but I doubt I would stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank GypsyAtLast
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

First and foremost, I would like to thank you for choosing the Ansonborough Inn. The great majority of our guests have truly wonderful experiences at our hotel and look very forward to coming back. I am truly sorry that you do not feel this way, despite the fact that your ratings make it appear that you actually found a lot to like about your time with us!
In regards to hotel noise, most of our guests do not experience noise issues, but certainly one of the challenges of an historic building is the fact that some sounds carry. In many cases, after a lovely evening out on the town, guests don't realize just how boisterous they are being when they return. In these cases, we do make a courtesy call just to remind them of the situation and to request that they please be courteous of the other guests.
In regards to the pub, I am not sure why you thought it had such limited hours. It is actually available all day long for guests to enjoy a cocktail, including at breakfast, should a guest like a Bloody Mary or Mimosa. There is a sign in the pub that states that the front desk agents also serve as bartenders, so although the pub is not continuously staffed, we are always ready to make drinks. I can't tell for sure if you thought there was a separate bar on the rooftop, so perhaps that is why you thought there were such limited hours. And you are absolutely correct about Sunday alcohol sales: we do not have a Sunday liquor license; therefore our pub is not open on Sundays. I am sorry that you found this to be such an inconvenience that you specifically mention it in your review. With the Harris Teeter right across the street and so many bars open nearby on Sundays, yours is the first criticism I have received in regards to our lack or alcohol sales on Sundays.
I am glad that you enjoyed the time that you spent on the rooftop and that you also enjoyed the "funky vibe" of the property in general. I am also happy to hear that the loft room suited your needs for two beds and privacy between the beds. It appears from your ratings that you found much to like about the Ansonborough Inn, so I am sorry that the you do not think that you would choose to stay with us again.
Thank you for taking the time to post this review--if you do chose to return to the Ansonborough Inn, please feel to contact me personally and I will do my best to ensure that you have a wonderful visit.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

My daughter and I stayed at the Ansonborough Inn a few nights ago, and I can't recommend it highly enough. We usually stay at a very upscale, large hotel in the area but were looking for a different experience. The Ansonborough Inn delivered in every way! The location is great and is within walking distance to everything. We were very pleasantly surprised when we opened the door and found extremely high ceilings, two fluffy beds, exposed brick walls, leather sofas, chandeliers (with dimmers), and a lovely bath. It is very charming! We loved the rooftop terrace! The staff was courteous and helpful, assisting us with restaurant recommendations and directions. Don't hesitate to book here. It is a hidden gem!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you very much for choosing the Ansonborough Inn and for taking the time to post this great review on TripAdvisor! I am delighted to know that you and your daughter had a wonderful visit to Charleston and to our hotel. It sounds like your room was perfectly suited to your needs and that everything about your stay exuded Southern Hospitality and Charm. I am happy to hear that the staff was able to assist you with any requests and needs that arose and that the weather was pleasant enough to enjoy our rooftop terrace. Thank you again for this great review and for choosing the Ansonborough Inn! I hope to see you again soon!