We stayed at the Battery Carriage House Inn for our 1st wedding anniversary/my birthday celebration, from 9/30-10/2/07.
My top 10 descriptions/comments on the inn:
1.) Wine and cheese in the afternoon is VERY nice, and is common among many of the B&B's. Definitely use this opportunity to catch up with other travelers/front desk staff and discuss dining/touring options.
2.) Call the inn directly for a better rate, or check online directly at their web site.
3.) Some of the furnishings are outdated, but so is everything in Charleston. Understand that antiques and old fixtures add to the charm and ambiance of this B&B and a historic city. You will rarely find "new" furnishings, and if you do, then you aren't really getting a feel for the old city charm that Charleston offers.
4.) We didn't see anything spooky, but we weren't in room 8 or 10 either. We stayed in room #1, and there was a bit of mold in the shower, but it's an old house and it didn't bother me.
5.) Breakfast was fine, coffee and juice of excellent quality! We had it delivered to our room, but there was a beautiful porch area right outside our front door with table and chairs, as well as the arbor (common) area. We walked in and out of our room with our breakfast, it was delightful. The croissant and jam were delicious, and I always eat raisin bran, so it was a normal breakfast for me. The fruit was missing though; that would be a nice addition. If you eat a giant "hot" breakfast, you will not find it here. So, don't book and complain about it later, as they describe the breakfast on their web site.
6.) Staff were INCREDIBLY friendly, all the time. At check-in and check-out, so very helpful. Cleaning staff were exceptionally friendly too. Always patient and willing to assist.
7.) The previous review is correct, you cannot tour the home...but there are several homes to tour, including the Calhoun Mansion, located nearby on Meeting Street, and the Edmonston/Alston Home, just around the corner on East Battery Street. Really neat homes, check them out! $15 to get into Calhoun...the gardens alone are free and worth stopping to see.
8.) "The Battery" and the white point gardens are right out the front door, and parking is free and right on the street. You can't beat it! If you stay up near the Market, you will have a problem parking and it will cost you.
9.) Make sure you take a walking tour...I recommend "America By Foot," as the front desk staff recommended to us. The carriage rides are ok, but the walking tours are more worth your money if you can tolerate a lot of walking, and it's great exercise. Make sure you go to the very top of the upper roof at the Vendue Inn, great view of the ocean, and yummy cocktails.
10.) The Battery Carriage House Inn is nice, and about average for what you will pay for Bed & Breakfast's around town. For the price and location, you can't beat it by staying here.
Enjoy your stay in Charleston and the Battery Carriage House Inn!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our historic Charleston inn offers true Southern charm accommodations amongst a backdrop of one of the most serene areas on the peninsula. We are located right in the heart of Charleston's iconic Battery area and only steps away from the promenade with stunning views of the Charleston Harbor. You will be close enough to everything you wish to see and do while enjoying our fair city, while returning to relax in your peaceful slice of Lowcountry paradise. Let our staff guide you during your Charleston journey, and help ease any potential travel woes. We are always more than happy to assist in any way we can! Tea and cookies will be here for your midday pick-me-up, and unwind before enjoying an evening on the town with wine and cheese in our lobby. We look forward to seeing you soon! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA and Ebookers so you can book your Battery Carriage House Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- 1843 Battery Carriage House Hotel Charleston
- 1843 Battery Carriage House Inn b&b