“Our secret in Charleston”

and 1 more site!
Battery Carriage House Inn
Ranked #20 of 40 Charleston B&B and Inns
Hudson Canada
“Our secret in Charleston”
Reviewed 16 September 2012

We love Charleston and have been coming back every winter for almost a decade now and the only place we would ever consider staying is the Battery Carriage House. It is definitely our home away from home and we’ve stayed there up to two weeks at a time. We love the history, the location, the atmosphere, the quiet, but mostly the staff – they are wonderful, especially the manager Elizabeth, and Gena and Crystal who do so much to help make your stay pleasant. You can’t stay any more south of Broad than the Battery Carriage and yet have walking access to most of Charleston. The only reason we would not recommend it is to make sure we have no problem in making a reservation in the future.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Trevor-7

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Location is wonderful, if you are wanting to really wander Charleston this place will serve you well. The street parking is not a problem, there were plenty of spaces. The staff was very welcoming and helpful. Very clean and the house is beautiful however the majority of the house is a private residence, the B&B is only the lower level and rear. The property is still beautiful and really neat but not quite the full B&B experience. We have stayed at quite a few B&B's we like to avoid the chains so we enjoyed ourselves.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ttroy58
Copper Hill, Virginia
Reviewed 18 May 2012

We stay at the Battery Carriage Inn on our trips to Charleston. We have stayed in almost every room and try a different one almost every time. We love the location right at Battery Point with the park and waterfront. We also love the old building and the garden. The king rooms up front are really nice with a space to relax outside. We hope to keep coming back for many years to come.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Lauren Y
Winter Haven, Florida
Reviewed 12 May 2012 via mobile

I dont know what all of the negativity is about from some of the other posts, but my wife and I had a really good time staying here in room number 10. The night hostess was a hoot and was very professional and helpful. The room was really nice and the bathroom was HUGE! There was no indication that we were going to stay in the main house, hence the name "Battery CARRIAGE House Inn" not Battery House Inn. The continental breakfast was very nice and plentiful. If you require a "Hot Breakfast" then go see the Inn Keeper and I'm sure that she will recommend a very quaint local place to satisfy your bacon and egg cravings. The price also included wine and cheese "primer" to start our evening out. The wine was very good, not "watered down" amd we could consume as much or as little as we desired. Overall, the Battery Carriage House Inn was a very nice and quaint place to spend our evening. I really think that if you want to spend an enchanting evening in historic Charleston, give the Battery Carriage House in a try! As far as the price, I cannot comment if it is pricey or not because I did not price any other bed and breakfasts in the area. I can say that the Days Inn on Meeting St. was around $126 per night for a queen bed and a ton of screaming kids in a pool. Can you put a price on peace and tranquility?

• Stayed May 2012
5 Thank maritimemongo
Free Union, Virginia
Reviewed 9 May 2012

Awful! My husband and I reserved two nights at the Battery Carriage House because the B&B that we were spending most of our trip with was full. We left after the first night, which is something that we very rarely do.

Pros:
-Location
-The entrance is very pretty.

Cons:
-The room was extremely small.
-The bathroom was dirty (hair of a different color and length than mine on the walls and dirty/moldy grout).
-The prices are outrageous for what you get. We stayed at another Charleston B&B for 60% of this price that was literally 20x the size.

I would have more to say but really? Is any more information needed?

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Kelly M
Lexington Park, Maryland
Reviewed 2 May 2012

I am now glad that I only had to stay one night in room 10 and that when I called to reserve a second night they were all booked up. It was the most depressing night of my whole vacation. When we checked in we had to wait for someone to finish there conversation in the back. We were then taken through this tunnel to the stairs, the ground is not level so be sure to wear flat shoes. When we were let into our room it was just the bed, with the head at a down hill slant because the floor was uneven, a small desk and chair, and two chair that were water stained by the windows. There was no view because the neighbors had planted a bunch of plants outside the window so you could not see there yard. The choices for breakfast were Raisin Bran, Special K, or english muffins with juices and coffee. Not worth the money I spent to stay there, I would have enjoyed a hotel much more, I will always remember my 21st anniverary as the night I would rather forget because of my experience at this place.

Room Tip: Anything might be better then room 10
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Redding, Connecticut
Reviewed 1 May 2012

I booked a trip for my parents at the Battery Carriage House and found the experience top rate from start to finish. I called several months in advance to secure a date for my parents and worked with the manager to put together a custom package for things that my parents would be interested in - the ghost package during high season, basically. The inn didn't have this as a set package for that time of year but worked with me to put it all together with the same providers at the high season rates, which I thought was awesome. Elizabeth, the manager was great and followed up with me, as promised, as we got closer to the date to make sure everything was coordinated. My parents had a scheduling conflict and called the inn to move the dates, and the inn accomodated them and took the time to call me to make sure I was aware of it. Great attention to detail. Upon my parent's arrival they had all the elements fo the package lined up and provided all the information my parents needed, the staff was very pleasant and efficient and my parent's loved the inn. In addition to the great attention by the staff they particularly loved the garden and patio dining for breakfast and wine in the later afternoon. I highly recommend this inn and look forward to going there as well when we are next in South Carolina.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple