“A Night Spent In A Closet...”

and 1 more site!
Battery Carriage House Inn
Ranked #21 of 40 Charleston B&B and Inns
Brooklyn, New York, United States
“A Night Spent In A Closet...”
Reviewed 2 June 2013

A closet sized room for $220? The location is great because it is near the lovely battery park and boardwalk but Id rather drive a little bit in order to get a decent sized room. The breakfast was very poor as well.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Trevon C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Maryville, Tennessee
Reviewed 19 May 2013

If we had read the reviews before we had booked our stay we would not have gone ahead. We are so glad we did and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Staff were all very friendly and helpful. Rooms were very nice and comfortable and in-keeping with the character of the main house. we enjoyed complimentary cheese and wine and a wonderful continental breakfast in the very pretty garden. If we wanted to be very picky the only negative would be that the bathrooms could benefit from a little up-dating. But all towels were crisp and white. Location is fantastic, right in the middle of properties worth several million dollars. although our room was at the back of the house it was really pretty and would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jayne W
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 15 May 2013

We had great hopes for this inn since an individual told us that it was where she always stayed. Unfortunately, we also caused the couple we were traveling with to also stay. My bad!! The furniture was very, very old. There was not one comfortable chair in the room. Since I like to read before retiring, this was not good. In order to shower, we had to step over a HIGH tub that formerly was a whirlpool bath. This is a safety issue. The breakfast was bare bones, and the coffee was cold. Gina (Gena) was most helpful. We would not stay there again and cannot recommend it.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank RoseSA
California
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We were temped by the hauntings that have been documented here. The reviews led us to believe that the price was worth the trip and that the accommodations were plush. They are not close to plush. I feel that a high-end bed and breakfast should have an hors d'oeuvres hour and a fairly special breakfast. The hors d'oeuvres consisted of three pieces of cheese for the whole B&B-about 1 inch by 3 inches, and the worst wine possible. The breakfast was simple continental, definitely not up to B&B standards, served in our room. We almost broke our necks on the carpet that continuously slid on the slick floor. And the floor was the loudest squeaky floor that I've ever heard. Beds were fine. We were greeted by the manager upon our arrival, and we found her to be out of sorts and not forthcoming with information. We felt as if we were imposing on her to ask anything. There were a few basic things about the B&B and the room that were never explained. And the parking - I was told that there was plenty, but it was scarce and we were told that it would be nonexistent in a few days due to a new city regulation. I hope that they get this fixed. The other concierges were more friendly and accommodating. We may possibly have had a little haunting, which is fun, and the neighborhood is beautiful, and the story of the house quite interesting. I recommend this with hesitation, but I must admit that the overall experience was okay.

Room Tip: Room 8 and 10 are said to be haunted.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Artsy12
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 17 March 2013

I'm going to preface this by saying that I grew up in a very very old house and live in an old house now. And I've lived in the South all my life. So, I understand that bugs happen.

My husband and I recently stayed in Room 11, upper carriage. We did a quick check-in, was shown our room, and headed back out. A couple hours later we were able to move our car close to the B&B so got our bags and carried our things up, unfortunately to find a dead roach on the floor. I guess management is spraying, but I believe they need to make some changes to the room, and possibly all their rooms. In our room, there are too many gaps that might allow unwanted creatures inside; gaps that with some proper care-taking, could be eliminated. In particular, and particularly gross, is a large hole in the floor beside a pipe that runs from somewhere down below, through the room, to somewhere above. The hole is easily two-inches round.

Aside from the one bug we saw -- roaches travel alone, right? — the place didn't seem well-kept. Paint is bulging and about to chip off in the bedroom, paint is peeling in big ways above the shower -- I suppose they need a more powerful vent — and the room itself needs a very good cleaning. The baseboards were filthy. The very old, dingy rug in the middle of the room has some large stain. One window sill was littered with crud. We would have complained at the time, but the furniture needs to be moved and a real cleaning needs to happen. We just wanted to have a little fun in Charleston and be on our way.

I didn't want to take the time at check-out to fill out the comment card, nor did I feel like staying longer to talk to someone. I was going to email the owner to share our dissatisfaction, but there's no email link on the Website. So, I'll share this publicly: I think the B&B owner(s) should do better by their guests.

Oh, and the breakfast really is 'continental.' You'll be able to select cereal, bagel w/ cream cheese, yogurt. (Couldn't they offer a hardboiled egg or piece of quiche?) And the night before you'll need to know the 30-minute time range the next morning that you'll want your tray of food brought up. It's not my favorite system of getting some breakfast. I'd rather walk down to a breakfast room, in the hours an establishment serves, and choose from a small menu.

I do not recommend this B&B and will not return.

Room Tip: Choose a different B&B.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Newtown, Connecticut
Reviewed 22 February 2013

I hate to write a bad review, but this place was a big disappointment. When I think of a B&B I think of a grand old house with spacious rooms with common areas for dining or relaxing by a fireplace. The pictures are accurate, but rather than having rooms available in the big house, the owners rents out rooms in the cellar of the house. They are bare bones with old furniture and old bathroom fixtures(saw rust in our room). Each room has a separate entrance to the small cellar rooms. They are street level and you have no access tho the grand house that you see on the Internet....not even that big porch. The house you see on the Internet Is a private residence.
My guess is the owner of this big house is trying to defer some of his upkeep costs by advertising a B&B but really just renting out the basement/cellar. Really a basic room that was probably furnished back in the 70's.
Breakfast......well again I usually think of warm homemade muffins and a chef specialty of eggs, etc. Battery Carriage does NOT offer that. Your choice is coffee and juice with either raisin bran, toast, bagel and or yogurt. Again bare bones. You can eat in the outside garden if it's not raining or your room. No dining room available to guests
Pass on this place and try somewhere else. A Marroit room with no view would be a step up and probably cost you less.

Only positive I can give is it's a nice location.

Room Tip: Make sure they send you several pictures of the room you are considering as well as common areas bef...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Joe S
Fernandina Beach, Florida
Reviewed 12 February 2013

My husband and I just spent the weekend at the Carriage House Inn for a belated anniversary. We stayed in room # 1. The room was very small.On Saturday, I heard a noise coming from the wall. My brother and sister in law were visiting for a while and then they heard the noise. I went to the wall by the bed and tapped the wall. We heard scratching and scurrying coming from the wall. It sounded like rats or racoons that were scared of the noise I made. A piece of thin wood actually moved from the other side of the wall, as if whatever the critter was, leaned on the wall. The bottom portion of the wall was a thin piece of plywood. Shocking! This is an 8 million dollar mansion! We weren't allowed to tour the house main house. I have stayed in much nicer hotel rooms for a fraction of what we paid their. We reported this upon check out, and never was offered an apology. That was so very disappointing. Also, they do not cook anything. The breakfast consisted of a continental breakfast. So on the morning of checkout we went out for a nice hot breakfast.
On the bright side: The bed was comfortable and they gave us a bottle of champayne which after we returned from a late dinner was in our room chilling.

Room Tip: It wasn't worth the effort.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple