“Overpriced and dumpy”

Battery Carriage House Inn
Ranked #20 of 39 Charleston B&B and Inns
New York
Reviewed 26 October 2005

My husband and I stayed here back in April or May of this year. When we checked in we were told that our room (the back room on the upper floor, I think room 10) was haunted but that the ghost only bothers single women. This still managed to make my few nights there quite restless (it may be cute to Southerners to have ghosts roaming around, but I wanted no part of it and although I didn’t see or hear anything the idea of it kept me awake). The room was dark, dumpy and the breakfast was not great- just continental fare. We stayed at two other bed and breakfasts (in Savannah and Beaufort), paid a lot less and got much better rooms and breakfasts. Although it may cost slightly more or require booking farther in advance, Two Meeting Street seems to be the better choice. It’s in the same neighborhood (good location) but from what I’ve heard and saw it is much nicer.

• Stayed: April 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 9 August 2005

Stayed here with my wife and two boys (21 & 18) this July. The location is right at the bottom of town looking out to sea at the confluence of the rivers. Easy to park cars and a comfortable walk into the downtown area. It is located in the area of historic houses so when your walking you can be really nosey! The whole building is featured in postcards of Charleston showing the whole terrace, so it's right up there with the best properties.

Don't be fooled by the website. The accommodation is at ground level with no access into the main house which is a private residence. The rooms are well furnished and clean. Breakfast is really good and can be served to your room (which we did) or in the garden.

It's definitely not your hotel chain type and the staff will provide help and bookings for tours. It's a bit more expensive but for three nights we thought it was really worth it. Oh and the beds are terrific and it's very quiet at night.

4  Thank Buddie-Paisley
Palm Bay, Florida
Reviewed 30 April 2005

For the money we paid, I was expecting a little more. The grounds are nice, but the rooms are not very luxurious. There was no soap in the room when we arrived, and we had to go to the lobby to get it. Same thing the next day when we discovered the room did not have an iron. The "breakfast" was meager, consisting of cereal or a hard croissant. For the amount of money we paid, we could have stayed somewhere much nicer.

Stayed: June 2004
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 25 March 2005

My wife and I stayed here on our honeymoon and it was terrific! The breakfast was pretty good and the room was very nice....small but nice!
The Guy at the front desk was cool and very helpful. You will have to walk a good deal if you want to get somewhere but its still worth it. The ghost tours talk about the Inn and thats cool. The inn has lots of atmosphere and it is a bit spooky but fun....visit the courtyard in the back at night if you wanna get freaked out.

• Stayed: September 2005
Reviewed 14 March 2005

Based on some written reviews and word of mouth praises, I was excited about staying at the Battery Carriage House on my recent visit to Charleston. I should not have been. In fact, it was extremely disappointing! The room was small, the bathroom too small, the sink in the bathroom was stopped up (drained too slowly), the bed was hard, the breakfast was wrong and someone at the hotel actually changed my menu to serve only one occupant instead of two. It was impossible to maintain a comfortable temperature in the room because with the heater on it was too hot and with it off it was too cold. The heater was old and the thermostat apparently did not work correctly. The only good part of the experience was a very friendly desk clerk who went out of her way to try to make things better. Although I appreciated her effort, it was not quite enough to make the stay an enjoyable one. I would HIGHLY recommend that you stay somewhere else. You would spend less money and enjoy it more.

• Stayed: March 2005
2  Thank Scott H
Nacogdoches, Texas
Reviewed 23 December 2004

The Battery Carriage House was so picturesque and gorgeous!! My room was very charming and was on the bottom floor near the cobblestone entrance. All the rooms are different and have that lovely southern charm. Mine had a light silky color wallpaper and a gorgeous 4-poster bed with light and airy sheered canopy. The hotel served breakfast every morning whenever you like. You can choose from a variety of items from fresh fruit yogurt to light and fluffy croscents. You can eat outside on a comfortable lounge chair in the beautiful courtyard brimming with a lush amount of flowers secluded under centuries-old oak trees or in your room that has views of the garden and have doors that open out to the picturesque walkway. The staff are very warm and inviting and give suggestions on what to do and see in the beautiful city of Charleston. They are very helpful. The location is outstanding!!!!! The hotel is located on South Battery and is right across from a tranquil park filled with oaks, which is right across from the Harbour. Highly recomended!!!!!!

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 13 August 2004

On a recent weekend trip to Charleston, we stayed at the Battery Carriage House Inn. It was a fabulous trip, primarily because of the Battery Carriage House. The location was great, within walking distance of the harbor and the shopping/restaurant district. Parking was free. Our room (like all eleven) opened up to the beautifully manicured garden. Breakfast was delivered on a silver platter to our room each morning (or you could have it served in the garden). Complimentary wine and cheese every evening. Very romantic. Make sure you ask about the Inn's history as it was built in 1843.

• Stayed: August 2004
13  Thank suelaw
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charleston
French Quarter Inn
King Charles Inn
#17 of 62 in Charleston
The Meeting Street Inn
#6 of 39 in Charleston

Been to Battery Carriage House Inn? Share your experiences!