“I would NEVER stay at this hotel again at any price!”

Comfort Inn Downtown Charleston
Ranked #50 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 26 April 2011

My wife and I stayed two nights at this hotel. I never had hot water morning or night. The front desk people were very nice and would say "the maintenance man is working on it". The hotel has totally inadequate parking. I would guess, they have parking spaces for less than half the rooms in the hotel. Cars are parked all night in the fire lanes around the hotel. You could park next door in a bank parking lot but had to move your car by 7 AM. I did not enjoy this on vacation. You could than drive around the parking lot until someone left early in the morning. My room was just redecorated and looked very nice. However the tub faucet dripped all the time and the hinges on the bathroom door were rusty. Only one of two elevators worked and this hotel was over 7 stories. I have stayed in many hotels and this Comfort Inn on Bee St, is the worst.

Room Tip: Please stay at another hotel.

Reviewed 20 April 2011

Over $100 for a room and they don't even care about you. No hot water. When asked about it they said it should be on “now”, they repeated the same answer for 2 hours before I took a cold shower. Even though it says close to downtown it is close to nothing except a hospital and an interstate. You cannot walk to anywhere from here. Would rather stay few miles away from downtown and pay half the price.

Reviewed 18 April 2011

I paid $180 for 1 nights stay at this place. When i got their i discovered this hotel was being "Renovated". This hotel was in horrible shape! They should have not allowed people to stay there, or at least at that price! Me and my girlfriend were going to charleston to see a concert like any other weekend trip i booked the hotel for one night, spending the same amount as I always do, $180. I wouldnt have stayed or booked their if i knew this was happening. I was very dissatisfied with this building. The customer service was great but I would have rather stayed somewhere else if i knew this was going on, THANKS FOR PUTTING IT IN YOUR AD!

Room Tip: Call and ask if it is still under construction!
1  Thank CALImattie420
Reviewed 16 April 2011

This hotel was under renovations, but what we experienced could not only be the result of renovations. The whole hotel from the lobby, hallways and the rooms were filthy. There was a terrible stench in the hallway and in our room. There were also cigarette burns all over the carpeting. Stains on the pillows. We had booked three nights and ended up leaving after the 2nd night. There was only one working elevator that had to be shared with the maids and their carts which took a long time. Overall the staff tried to keep up a friendly demeanor, but we could tell working under these conditions were getting to some.

Reviewed 12 April 2011

I read the reviews as I was looking for centrally located hotel. Got what I thought was a good rate. What a mistake. To say that the hotel is in a renovation phase - doesn't accurately describe how worn and unreliable the facilities really are presently. One of the elevators was out of service the entire stay - the other was out for more than hour. We were staying on the 7th floor and I was physically unable to walk up the external stairwell. After being outside at the Charleston AFB Air Show, we were hot - in need of a shower and caring in a couple of heavy bags. We were greet by both elevators out of service!!! As we sat waiting for the elevators to be fixed more than 2 dozen other guests came in and waited at the elevator doors. My wife and I finally began relaying to the other guests "the elevators are out service" while the front desk attendants stood silently by.

The other reviewer was right - this place needs to close for the renovations.

The only plus was in my discussion with the manager the next morning - to his credit - the room was heavily discounted again.

All in all - I wouldn't stay there again - even I was paid!!

Room Tip: Only tip - AVOID this property
Reviewed 9 April 2011

It takes a lot to be the worst hotel ever. Unclean property, noise everywhere, terrible customer service, aggresive managers. This hotel has it all!.

I have read many reviews from fellow travelers describing how bad this propertry is and yet I decided to ignore them. What a bad a decision I made and paid a high price for it. After realizing I was not going to be able to sleep I left the hotel and was verbally offended by the manager (Erick, who told me "I have no idea why I need to speak to you" after telling to get lost).

At the front desk, Denisse tricked me into the idea that she would find me another property to move to, which of course she did not and then ended up charging me even though thet did not fullfill their commitment to "make it right". She also turned aggressive on me.

This is without any doubt the worst hotel ever. Do yourself a favor. If you are in Charleston do not risk enjoying this great city by staying at this property. I wonder why Comfort Inn corporate office does not do anything about this hotel after so many bad reviews.

Room Tip: Stay away from this property
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 April 2011

We were stuck with this hotel because I delayed booking a hotel until about three weeks before a cruise leaving from Charleston. It turned out that one of the nights we needed was during an annual Fashion Week in Charleston. Consequently, hotel rooms were difficult to find.
Everything others said about the hotel are true. Having read the other reviews we were prepared for the absolute worst. Therefore, we were relatively pleasantly surprised to find that our room had obviously just been renovated and was clean and comfortable. (Outside in the hall---not so much). Our floor was in the middle of being painted with supplies all over, a filthy carpet, etc. As reported by others, only one elevator was working and that one was a little scary. We were told that the elevators are in the process of being replaced. We were on the second floor at the end of the hall next to the fire stairs. Entrance to the fire stairs was open to the outside behind the hotel and also open to the floor. Had I been travelling alone, I would not have wanted to stay.
As another guest reported, our card key did not work initially, but maintenance came after my husband went back down to the front desk and had it replaced. The hotel was full of teenage and younger sports team members who apparently, had been running amok in the halls. However, we seemed to be the only guests on our floor, so our room was relatively quiet--especially because we always travel with a white noise machine.
The continental breakfast was not good enough to make up for the hotel's other deficiencies, but there were hard boiled eggs, canned fruit, do it yourself waffles and bad coffee, so one could get some protein and carbs. We walked over to a Burger King the second day.
The hotel is very convenient to the VA Hospital and the Medical University of South Carolina Hospital. However, it is a good two mile walk into the center of Charleston. It was a pleasant enough walk when the weather was cooperative, but we took a cab back to the hotel when it was cold and raining.
Bottom line---this hotel is currently not ready for prime time. Silver lining: Free WiFi in our room

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel until reno is complete
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple