Comfort Inn Downtown Charleston
Charleston Marriott(Charleston)
  • Pool
Wentworth Mansion(Charleston)
View Hotel
All reviewscredit unionmedical centerfree trolleywaffle makerfree breakfastclose to downtownyogurtdowntown charlestonhistoric areawould stay here againfree parkingbeds were very comfortablemusccollegeuber
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 September 2011

When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted by Melinda and she was very friendly and helpful. We were a little early but she was able to get us into a room with no problem. She then took care of booking us on a tour that we picked out and directed us to everything we wanted to do. Very helpful.
The next morning we were greeted by Kim. She also was so friendly and helpful. She booked us on a tour for the following morning. Everything ran very smoothly, thanks to these 2 girls. They are a true asset to your hotel.

Room Tip: When Melinda checked us in she was able to put us in a room away from the elevator. That way we didn't hear the bell all night.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bfcandlkc
Reviewed 2 September 2011

Our family often uses Comfort Inns and Comfort Suites on our USA-trips, and usually have good experiences, but the Charleston branch was the worst ever. We stayed two nights in early August 2011. The parking lot is not big enough by far, but we were lucky to find a place to park. As a family we have much luggage. When we finally gathered a cart, it was almost impossible to push/pull it up the very narrow ramp. The room was ok. at first sight, on a closer look we saw traces of heavy use, e.g. the covers of the power outlets falling off, and dirt. My kids and I used the pool, which was quite ok. As the provided towels were tiny, we took our own ones. Afterwards I wanted to put them in the dryer in the guest laundry. I only had 7 quarters instead of the required 8 (rather expensive compared to other Comfort Inns/Suites), so we tried to get change from the front desk. There was not a single quarter to be found. We decided to try the vending machines to get the missing coin. In 3 floors every soft drink in every machine was sold out. I finally gave up and took the wet towels to the room. But the worst experience was breakfast... When we came down to the breakfast room, all the tables were filled with dirty dishes, spilled food was on the counters, tables, floor and everywhere else. It looked disgusting. My - usually always hungry - 14-year-old son only looked into the room and said, "I don't want anything" expressing my very feelings. We ended up having breakfast downtown. This was the first time I could and would not eat a complimentary breakfast. As we have a loyalty card, at least we only had to pay for one night, but almost 150$ was way to much for this hotel! I wouldn't recommend it to anybody!

1  Thank Mariela D
Reviewed 2 September 2011

For the value (let's face it, nothing in Historic Charleston comes under the words affordable) this hotel is decent. We would stay again, but know in advance you'll have to be willing to sacrafic what you expect from a Comfort Inn. This is a tired hotel, undergoing a partial facelift...but tired all the same. The reason: it is located across the street from the SC VA Hospital. So it is booked solid all the time -- under HEAVY use. They have the worst "free" breakfast we've ever encountered with poor/cheap quality foods provided -- skip it, unless yogart is all you usually eat for breakfast. Our room had multiple, serious things wrong with it when we arrived at 11pm after a long drive. The night staff had no other rooms they could give us. The day staff couldn't be nicer. They quickly compensated our charge and made right on all the wrongs. The free trolley to all the Historic Areas runs right in front of the hotel every 30 min., daytime only. Suggestions: arrive early, skip breakfast.

1  Thank Travis-Family-Travel
comforinn11, Director of Operations at Comfort Inn Downtown Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2011

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Comfort Inn Charleston. I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share with us your experience. We do take pride in the fact that we provide our guest southern hospitality. I am sorry that you were not pleased with the items that were presented on our breakfast bar and we are currently looking into make some changes. Please do make plans to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 29 August 2011

Located by the VA hospital and about 20 minutes drive from the center of the tourist and historical areas.

The first night the hotel was filled with bachelor and bachlerotte partiy revelers who elected not to afford a stay in the Market Street area. At bar time they brought the party back to the halls of the hotel--it lasted for about an hour before management shut it down.

This hotel needs a renovation, it appeared to be clean enough--- just tired.

The staff were all very friendly and helpful.

1  Thank timmertoo
comforinn11, Director of Operations at Comfort Inn Downtown Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2011

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Comfort Inn Charleston. I do appologize that your stay was distrubed by a group of loud guest. I am thankful that someone from Management was able to quiet them down. Please visit with us again as you may have noticed this property has made many changes.

Reviewed 22 August 2011

The hotel was OK but obviously in the middle of renovations. I booked the stay as my second night to receive a free night. After my stay I was told it didn't qualify for points even though I was told by the hotel staff that it was qualified for points. This isn't the first time They've cheated me out of points , but it will be the last.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
comforinn11, Director of Operations at Comfort Inn Downtown Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2011

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Comfort Inn Charleston. I sincerely hope you enjoyed visiting this beautiful city. I am sorry that you were disappointed with the availbility of points through Choice Privileges. I trust that you have communicated this disappointment to a Choice Privleges representive. We look forward to you staying with us again.