“Everything was fine”

Comfort Inn Downtown Charleston
Ranked #50 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 26 March 2013

We stayed at the Comfort Inn for one night and had no problems. I had been worried about the parking based on other reviews but we easily got a space upon check-in, and left the car there until we checked out as we walked into town and back both days. (It was a fairly long walk, but we did get the trolley on the way back in the rain on the second day.) The room was clean and we liked the Art Deco look. Shower was fine: no hot water problems as some have described. The bed was comfortable, and we heard no street noise. Breakfast was good. We printed our boarding passes in the business center and also used the free wireless in the room, though it was slow at peak times. The management clearly cares about guest satisfaction because there were several cards in the room asking for our feedback and also to tell them if something didn't work properly. I agree with the previous reviewer: Vann at the front desk was very pleasant and helpful. All in all, a perfectly reasonable city hotel, not fancy but we were satisfied as we saved about $200, slept well, and didn't have to drive or park to get to the historic district.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet location away from the elevators and got that. We also had an accessible room...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 March 2013

I visited this hotel with two other couples, we were in Charleston as our son's played college baseball against The Citadel, the rooms, breakfast and everything was great, but we came in hotel at around 10:30 pm after dinner only to find no parking. We spent 1:30 trying to find two parking spots. Front desk told us to park at the bank next to hotel, and the next morning the bank security would come over at around 7:30am with a list of room #'s that either had to move or get towed. REALLY, where did they think we were going to move the cars to, as there would still not be any parking for the 20 plus cars in the bank parking lot. And who would want to get up at 7:30am on vacation. They had no plan B, not even hiring valet parking and take the cars to another lot somewhere for us. I had never in all my years of traveling heard of not having enough parking for paying customers. It is called Comfort Inn for crying out loud..not Discomfort Inn. We waited around until the one front desk guy to leave and took his parking spot, but the other car had to park at bank. This really does need to be addressed and fixed because it is unacceptable to stay at a hotel with insufficient parking. I will never stay at this property again due to this problem. Housekeeping was excellent, stayed on 5th floor..lovely, friendly ladies! went over and above being nice to all of us! I am an employee of Comfort
Inn, and I would not recommend this hotel due to the parking problem..find another comfort Inn or stay at the nice Marriot Courtyard on the water.

Room Tip: 5th floor housekeeping was excellent ladies
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Nice place to stay for a reasonable price. The staff was very pleasant and helpful. Vann was best. They helped us celebrate a birthday and even had a birthday gift bag. The rooms were clean and the continental breakfast was very good. I loved the fresh waffles and biscuits. The parking is an issue late at night so we took the free trolley to town and a cab back at night. It removes all need to worry about drinking and driving. The beds were comfy. Not an opulent place but simple and clean rooms. Great base for exploring.

Room Tip: Ask for the penthouse upgrade
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2013

The hotel itself wasn't terrible. Room clean, but the bathroom smelled. The channels on TV were not worth watching. Is is so hard to get more than 25?

But the service at the desk was terrible. After being told that I could get picked up from the airport 6 times, I stood in the cold for over an hour waiting for them. Ended up getting a taxi, which I would have been happy to do if I had only known. The manager expressed disbelief that I had been told they could pick me up. Her way of making it up was to give me a pack of pretzels. Half way through my stay, my key was deprogramed, my companions also had this problem. Then on top of this whole fiasco they charged my room to the wrong persons credit card. In
stead of trying to call the hotel to fix this I just sent a check. I didn't feel they could fix it without messing up.

The parking is a hassle. If you don't park before 7-8 pm you have to park next door then move your car before 8 am the next morning.

My traveling companions & I agree this was not a hotel to revisit. Find another place if you can.

Reviewed 14 March 2013

We chose this hotel as an economical option, close to historic Charleston, 15-20 min. walk past lovely old buildings & pretty parks. We were there in Jan., and felt safe walking to the hotel at night.Local bus will also take you downtown, just outside the door. We were driving from Hilton Head, so it was a very convenient loc'n off the highway and easy to find. Staff were all very friendly & helpful, and buffet breakfast had lots of choices.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 March 2013

The location is great, right across from the hospital if you're visiting a patient, and not far from historic Charleston if your a vacationer. The rooms are dated and a little musty but for the price it was fine. Room was clean but you can't clean away rust stains or chips in the tub. We did have a problem with there being enough hot water at peak hours, mornings and dinner time. Our suite was huge, pull out couch was comfortable for one adult, but it would have been noisy if it was summer as our windows looked right onto the 3rd floor pool. Staff was very friendly and helpful. The free trolley into the historic area did not work well for us. It only runs every 30-60 minutes depending on time of day and you may need to transfer depending where you are going. Our time was limited so we took a cab several times. Cabs are a flat $5 within the downtown city limits and then $1 per person. A bit more than paying for parking but saved so much time. Overall a good deal, especially if you are planning to be out and about all the time. I'm not sure I would want to hang out in this room for days on end though.

Room Tip: Suite 314 would be horrible in the summer as your windows would look right out on the pool on the 3r...
2  Thank JGWIL
Reviewed 11 March 2013

This hotel is totally bound in on all sides. They are slightly north of downtown, and boxed in by the local VA hospital. They have way more rooms than parking, and several times I was forced to park in the nearby bank, and then had to get up and move my car by 7:30 in the morning.

We called before hand to make sure they had a shuttle from the airport to the hotel. When one of our party arrived at the airport and after four calls found that no one was coming, they do not pick up at the airport.

After speaking to the manager regarding my room being partly paid for with money, and partly paid for by points, i was assured that it was arranged. When the money part of it ran out,i was called and asked if i was staying longer, even though i had 4 more nights on points! i was then informed that i would have to come back from my excursion in Charleston, and move my belongings to another room! I declined to do that.

The rooms were small and needed remodeling, and a stronger hand at cleaning. TV consisted of 25 channels, and while that is not unusual in city Hotels, this hotel needs to step up what they are offering. There is not much in the way of amenities, and they ask your indulgence for deficiencies in there amenities and service.

In all, I would not stay here again. I travel a lot for business, but when I travel for recreation, I look for a home away from home. This was not it.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.