“Ease of getting around”

Ranked #50 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
nmb
“Ease of getting around”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

Parking tight. You can park and take a trolly from there to almost any where downtown. Our room was not cleaned when we arrived was given another but handicap, with the VA right across the street you wondered if you were taking the room from someone who needs it. Noise in hallway but after 11 it was quiet. BEST BREAKFAST!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank nmblover11
comforinn11, Manager at Comfort Inn Downtown Charleston, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
We appreciate you choosing the Comfort Inn Downtown as your hotel while staying in Charleston. We offer valet parking to our guests so that if they have to park in our overflow they will not have to get up early in the morning and move their car. We have made some changes to our breakfast so I am glad that you find it enjoyable. We hope to see you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

This place has great potential to be a wonderful affordable yet nice option for near-downtown. The room are clean and newly renovated. There's not a busy highway right outside your window so you don't have to worry about that kind of noise. And the front desk personnel were courteous enough upon check-in, and quickly allowed me to move rooms due to a noisy situation upon initial check-in (room was right by the very loud and open laundryroom and housekeeping workshop).

However, the other staff and the overall lack of security are a major down side that will prevent me from ever thinking of staying here again. (Please note: I am willing to disregard the fact that the elevator was out of order AND that they were shutting off the water for renovations on the morning of my departure.)

About security, I was surprised by the following: 1. Each floor's emergency exit - the one to the stairwell (which I had to use because of the elevator being out or excessively slow) - was unlocked/unlockable and unalarmed and lead directly to the outdoors all day and night. Anyone could get in - no need for a keycard or anything. 2. My friend who arrived hours after me was given a key to my room and a parking pass without any questions and without checking with me.
About the "other staff": 1. Housekeeping went door to door at 9:30am shouting "Housekeeping" and opening doors. Checkout time is 11am so why the earlier knocking and shouting? 2. Housekeeping knocked and simultaneously opened the room door without waiting for an answer. This is a security breach as well as a major inconvenience at ANY time, much worse at 9:30am! 3. I notified the front desk about this lack of guest service protocol and they didn't seem to care much; I got a very simple "Sorry 'bout that" with no mention that they'd even look into it or stop the crew from continuing to do it. 4. One hour later - again, not Even at 11am, which would be regular checkout time (and certainly not noon which was the late checkout time I'd been given) - Housekeeping knocked and shouted again and tried to come in (I had barred the door, thankfully). I informed them through the door that I had late checkout (even though it wasn't even regular checkout time yet) and they yelled down the hall to each other "I got someone in here saying they have late checkout! What's that all about?"
I had had very little sleep and just needed some rest but was unable to get any -- all because of the staff's lack of courtesy and customer service. All I expected was to not be disturbed in such a blatant and brash and intrusive way as shouting in the hallway and entering my room unannounced in the morning well in advance of checkout time.

All I can hope is that this was a one-day breach in hotel service etiquette and I hope that they get better staff who are supervised well and who can handle even basic customer service and rules.

If you want to risk it - who knows, maybe by the time you go, construction/renovation will be finished, elevators will be working, security doors and protocols will be operational and in place, and housekeeping staff will allow for basic privacy, and Maybe just maybe, the staff at reception will be actually receptive and will listen to what you have to say - if you're willing to risk it, then go for it.

I, for one, will be hard pressed to try this place again, and in fact might take the time to inform management of Comfort Inn of my awful experience, in hopes that they improve drastically so that others won't encounter such problems.

Room Tip: No matter what you ask for, they won't listen. They just give you what they've got without a...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NikkiHooter
On behalf of my whole staff I apologize for the issues you had while you stayed with us. We were under the last part of our renovations during your stay. We now have security locks on our stairwell doors that can only be accessed by a guest's room key. We have also finished changing over our boiler system, so any hot water issues that we had in the past is now taken care of. I have addressed the issues about housekeeping with the housekeeping manager. I sincerely hope that you come back and let us give your the service that your deserve.
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014

Our stay a couple of years ago was a disaster. The place was in chaos and under renovation. This time the room we had on the 3rd floor was more than satisfactory. Good beds, clean and crisp linens and all in all a comfortable space for the two nights of our visit to this delightful city.
The Bee Street location has somewhat challenging parking but a spot could be found. We like to walk but the free trolley service stops right outside the bank next door. As it happens we walked into the downtown historic area on both days and found it an easy stroll.
The breakfast was typical Comfort Inn, but that said the hot food was hot and the cold was cold. Coffee was plentiful throughout our stay.
Will be stay here again? Yes! Front Desk staff were friendly and helpful . . . a nice touch in a busy place like this.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Tony O
Lexington, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

i checked in on 2/6 and requested a handicap room with 2 beds. was told all handicap rooms only have 1 queen. the front desk suggested they add a roll-a-way bed to accomidate my request. the bed was added and was adequate for our needs. highly recommend this hotel. the room was clean and every request was satisfied.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank kippernc
Huntsville, Alabama
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

I booked a room with double beds for one night at this location. I am a choice privileges diamond member so I stay in a lot of choice hotels. I forgot to mention that I had one person staying with me in my room and I called as soon as I got to my room. ( Roughly one minute from leaving the front desk.) I told the clerk that I was going to need another parking pass and that one more person was staying in the room. ( Note, There is never a charge for this.) The night clerk stated that I would have to pay for the additional guest, at a tune of $79!!!!! The room cost me $98. ???? I was pissed to say the least. I called choice and they couldn't do anything from their end because I was already under the care of the hotel. Then I booked an additional room for him using my choice points. This room was supposed to be a king room. Once he checked in I asked him how his big bed was, and he told me they changed his room to a double bed. WITHOUT TELLING US. I called choice, and they said I'd have to call the next day and file a complaint. I did just that. Choice did the right thing and gave me my points back, but I will never stay at this garbage of a hotel again. I will be traveling to Charleston for work a lot more often now and this place will get none of my business. What a horrible place with horrible people trying to rip me off especially when I did the right thing and called to tell the front desk about my additional person. I have talked to others at a bar I visited who had horror stories of this place as well. BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Tim R
Merrick, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

This hotel is very nice, close to all the hospitals, cancer center and VA medical center. A lot of fast food restaurants like McDonalds are within a 2 minute walk. There is a free trolley to the visitor center next door. From there you can switch trollies to other tourist sites. I was recognized as a rewards member, had a very nice King room' with fridge and microwave, the TV worked well. The problem was the other guests were soooo noisy all night long, quieted when houseman came and started in 2 minutes later!!! Every time I fell into a good sleep, they'd bang a door or shout in the hall and wake me up. Earlier in the day, 4:45 ish when I came back from sightseeing, a family came in the room next door, except they came to my room first and their key worked!! Thank goodness I had the security lock on! Then they tried to open the connecting door and kept banging on it. I went to the desk and was reek eyed and they were moved, but it was the other noisy patrons that kept me up ALL night, 2 nights in a row!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
comforinn11, Manager at Comfort Inn Downtown Charleston, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
I want to say thank you for staying with us. I am sorry that your stay was not the one that you expected. I hope that if you come and stay with us again your stay will be more pleasurable.
Sao Paulo, SP
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

We stayed at the Comfort Inn on December 26 and 27. The staff was very nice and courteous. However one of the elevators was broken and we had to wait 10 minutes to be rescued. The hotel is old, rooms were dirty and a friendly cockroach appeared in the bathroom in the last day.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
I apologize for the problems that you had while you were staying with us. We did have a problem with the elevator but it has been fixed since your stay. We are making a lot of changes in the hotel like new bedding and resurfacing of the tubs. I hope that you come back and you give us a chance to show you the changes that we are making.