“Reasonable price for the location”

Comfort Inn Downtown Charleston
Ranked #49 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 16 April 2014

A small room for a relatively high price, tho not by Charleston standards. The free trolley for the shuttle makes the location a little easier. It did give us a taste of Charleston and the front desk staff were very friendly and helpful.

1  Thank Petermac-red

Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

This hotel was great in that a lot if discounts were available on the rate (AAA was best) and the free trolley for the city picks up right there. Until you learn the trolley route you are stuck with a transfer. Wifi was weak and not consistent but all in all it works for a way to visit Charleston without all your money going towards the hotel.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Cconnor321
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I recently stayed at this Comfort Inn due to a family member having surgery at MUSC. The Hospital is within walking distance so it was very convenient for us. The room my family stayed in was a little smaller than most I have been in, but clean and comfortable. Housekeeping was extremely nice and very accommodating. The free breakfast was enjoyable; waffles, biscuits, eggs, sausage, gravy, muffins, yogurt, cereals, coffee and juices. My only complaints were the Wi-Fi, parking, the pool was closed and low water pressure. We were never able to connect to the internet via the hotel, but connected via a hot-spot on our cellphone. Parking is tight, especially if you have a larger vehicle, but there is overflow parking after hours next door. However, none of my complaints would keep me from staying here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank ErinBW
Reviewed 3 April 2014

When looking for a hotel convenient to historic Charleston, I quickly realized that the prices had risen in most hotels to well over $200 a night. I knew my daughter, my 10 year old granddaughter, and I would not be spending much time in the room, so I looked for somewhere more reasonable. The Comfort Inn on Bee Street appeared to be a little over a mile from where we wanted to be and had a trolley stop right next door. Since parking was free at the hotel, something you don't usually find in a tourist city, we knew we could forget about the car.

Not only was check in very easy, but the employees were very helpful with suggestions. The room was spacious and clean. The bedding was beyond expectations, as was the mattress. There was a microwave and refrigerator, a nice bonus.

We took advantage of the trolley stop several times. One night after a house tour, we were just too tired from walking and called a cab. The charge was $8. That was amazingly inexpensive to us since if we had taken the car, it would have been $2 an hour if we had found parking.

The breakfast at the hotel was very complete with hot and cold offerings. Two employees were helpful in finding seats and keeping everything well stocked. The dining area was probably created from existing space after the hotel had been built because it was really too small to accommodate all the guests, especially because a school group was there.

We really enjoyed our stay in Charleston and found that the conveniences of the hotel were an added bonus. We would stay again.

Room Tip: Though there was a middle school on a field trip, we heard no noise. We were on the 7th floor in a...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank travelontheroad08530
Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed there while my wife was hospitalized overnight.
The room was OK, the bed very comfortable but the Wi-fi service was down most of the evening which was a real pain since I needed the send and follow-up on a number of emails. This is my second experience of poor Wi-fi service in Comfort Inn hotels. They need to improve that aspect of their service.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank richard769
Reviewed 29 March 2014

The best thing about this Comfort Inn is that it is next to the free trolley stop. The trolley will take you to the visitor's center. The rooms were clean - tub a bit slippery. The breakfast area is one of the largest we have seen; however with the number of guests there was no room to sit. The staff was working hard to keep the food available. We were recognized on check-in as member of the Choice Program and was given a token gift. The room we had was quiet - no outside noise.

2  Thank travelsbyrail
Reviewed 27 March 2014

This was my second trip to Charleston - the first I stayed in the Historic District. To save money, we went to Comfort Inn. Do it. Drive your car and park downtown - even with parking, you will come out ahead on money. We didn't use the trolley downtown. Trolley only comes every 30 minutes and drops you off at the visitor center which is still a good walk to the historic area. The hotel was nice - rooms had an updated feel. However, the hair dryer in the bathroom was broken which was something I was depending on having. Also, the Wifi was down an entire night which was inconvenient in terms of planning but this was fixed by the next morning. Parking is rough - if you're lucky you get a spot in their lot. Otherwise, you have to park in the credit union next door's lot after hours, but must move your car before 7am when the CU opens. The staff was very friendly. If you walked the halls, or shared an elevator, they were always friendly which I was impressed by. I would stay here again.

1  Thank cara s