“Good affordable hotel”

Ranked #49 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Ottawa, Canada
“Good affordable hotel”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel. It has recently been renovated and our room was spacious, clean and comfortable. Parking was alright though crowded but we were allowed to park next door, at the bank. Location of the hotel was very good. There is a free trolley that brings you right to the historical centre and comes by every 30 min. It's also right next to the highway so it was very convenient to go to sites like Magnolia Plantation. The breakfast was definitely not great but it was free so I don't see much of a reason to complain. Wifi went down while we were so the staff offered for me to use the front desk computer if needed but I was on vacation so I didn't really see the point of spending time online. The staff was overall really courteous and helpful.

Overall, I think this hotel is a great value. If you want a fancy hotel then be prepared to pay the price in downtown Charleston. If you want to pay budget prices (which in comparison with hotels in the area, this is) then I think standards (like the breakfast) have to be lowered slightly. I personally look for cleanliness, comfortable bed, and convenient access to local attractions which this hotel provides. I will be returning for sure.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Ameliefb

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I booked this hotel because I wanted an affordable hotel in the center with free parking, internet and breakfast... This is what you get:
unreliable and slow internet.
ok breakfast that ends at 9 AM and where you almost have to fight for a table since there are nowhere near enough tables to accomodate the guests in this tight schedule (really not the way I want to start my morning, one morning it was so crowded we just left...)
ok parking, if the hotel is not full, ours was for one of 3 nights and we had to park a few 100m away at a bank, having to leave by 8 AM latest (valet return is offered).
Location: too far to really profit nicely from historic downtown, so we just drove and parked in battery street (free)...

So unless you have the hospital to go too, save some money and don't bother staying in "downtown", especially since visiting plantations will probably be a big part of your activities there anyway...

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Magus_11

Travellers are raving about these Charleston hotels

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Everything from the gorgeous suite to the pleasant helpful front desk personnel was perfect. I'm used to getting a less than wonderful room when I book with the AARP rate at many hotels, so to open the door into a huge suite (2 double beds, sofa, armchair with hassock, dining table, fridge & microwave, and closet the size of many hotel rooms) was a very pleasant surprise. Everyone we encountered was very helpful in heading us to a good meal downtown: FREE Crab Dip appetizer coupon for Hyman's; and a private Taxi/Limo Service ($8 each way) which dropped us at the restaurant and picked us up at another location because we decided to take a short stroll after dinner. There is a FREE shuttle service at this hotel, too, but we opted for the taxi as my companion has mobility issues and can't negotiate a shuttle bus. Nice spacious Breakfast area (FREE full breakfast) with varied assortment of hot and cold options. Very clean. Comfortable beds. Quiet even with it being located across from a major hospital and our requesting room near elevator. To stay in Charleston for roughly what we paid to stay along the Interstate for the rest of our trip ($119) was a very welcomed surprise.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank BostonBlueHen_11
Malmo, Sweden
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Nice hotel and great room. Located about 1.7 km from King Street where restaurants and shops are located. It takes about 25 minutes to walk to downtown. The walk goes through some dark parts, but it felt safe. There is also a shuttel passing directly outside the hotel which drives to the city center. It runs about every 30 minutes and until 8pm. Free parking is available adjacent to hotelet. The breakfast room was crowded and chaotic, when we were there.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Aner_830
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I have to wait for 7-10 business days for a full refund for a room I paid twice for, because of a gaffe this hotel made!! Then they had the audacity to blame it on me!! I RECOMMONED ANOTHER HOTEL!!!!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank RRT2451
Enterprise, Alabama
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Its a good hotel. However WiFi needs work. I kept getting kicked off. And having to log back into it. It was very annoying. I could not get my work done because of it.

Other than that its a pretty typical comfort. No complaints :-)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank kelvin n
Buckhorn, Canada
Reviewed 16 April 2014

A small room for a relatively high price, tho not by Charleston standards. The free trolley for the shuttle makes the location a little easier. It did give us a taste of Charleston and the front desk staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple