All reviewscredit unionmedical centerfree trolleywaffle makerdowntown charlestonfree breakfastclose to downtownyogurtwould stay here againhistoric areafree parkingroom was clean and comfortablecookiesmusccollegeuber
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I booked this hotel because I wanted an affordable hotel in the center with free parking, internet and breakfast... This is what you get:
unreliable and slow internet.
ok breakfast that ends at 9 AM and where you almost have to fight for a table since there are nowhere near enough tables to accomodate the guests in this tight schedule (really not the way I want to start my morning, one morning it was so crowded we just left...)
ok parking, if the hotel is not full, ours was for one of 3 nights and we had to park a few 100m away at a bank, having to leave by 8 AM latest (valet return is offered).
Location: too far to really profit nicely from historic downtown, so we just drove and parked in battery street (free)...

So unless you have the hospital to go too, save some money and don't bother staying in "downtown", especially since visiting plantations will probably be a big part of your activities there anyway...

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Magus_11
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Everything from the gorgeous suite to the pleasant helpful front desk personnel was perfect. I'm used to getting a less than wonderful room when I book with the AARP rate at many hotels, so to open the door into a huge suite (2 double beds, sofa, armchair with hassock, dining table, fridge & microwave, and closet the size of many hotel rooms) was a very pleasant surprise. Everyone we encountered was very helpful in heading us to a good meal downtown: FREE Crab Dip appetizer coupon for Hyman's; and a private Taxi/Limo Service ($8 each way) which dropped us at the restaurant and picked us up at another location because we decided to take a short stroll after dinner. There is a FREE shuttle service at this hotel, too, but we opted for the taxi as my companion has mobility issues and can't negotiate a shuttle bus. Nice spacious Breakfast area (FREE full breakfast) with varied assortment of hot and cold options. Very clean. Comfortable beds. Quiet even with it being located across from a major hospital and our requesting room near elevator. To stay in Charleston for roughly what we paid to stay along the Interstate for the rest of our trip ($119) was a very welcomed surprise.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank BostonBlueHen_11
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Nice hotel and great room. Located about 1.7 km from King Street where restaurants and shops are located. It takes about 25 minutes to walk to downtown. The walk goes through some dark parts, but it felt safe. There is also a shuttel passing directly outside the hotel which drives to the city center. It runs about every 30 minutes and until 8pm. Free parking is available adjacent to hotelet. The breakfast room was crowded and chaotic, when we were there.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Aner_830
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I have to wait for 7-10 business days for a full refund for a room I paid twice for, because of a gaffe this hotel made!! Then they had the audacity to blame it on me!! I RECOMMONED ANOTHER HOTEL!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank RRT2451
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Its a good hotel. However WiFi needs work. I kept getting kicked off. And having to log back into it. It was very annoying. I could not get my work done because of it.

Other than that its a pretty typical comfort. No complaints :-)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business