“Perfect for family” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #49 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
Dresden, Tennessee
“Perfect for family”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Family of 3 stayed here June 10-12. We had a jr queen suite that was roomy with 2 queen beds, couch, chair, table and 2 chairs and super large walkin closet that I loved (luggage out of sight). Staff was all helpful and friendly especially Anthony (?) He seem to be always around working/doing what ever needed to be done. Pool area looked nice although we didn't use it. Wifi was not very good but not a big deal since we were on vacation. Breakfast was better than most hotels..Trolley stop next door is nice if your not in a hurry. It does not run every 30 minutes. Once you get to visitor center(utilize the VC it's great) the trolley routes run more often. The trolley is free and not hard to figure out. This hotel is not in the middle of all the action but more than makes up for that in value. Clean. Well managed. Would use again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Charlottesville, VA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

When I am traveling on a budget, my rating for a room always has to be weighed against what I paid for it. In this case I got a pretty good deal on the price but the problems in maintenance and cleaning were serious enough that they need to be mentioned.

First, lets talk about the good stuff. I booked a suite for $135 a night, which ain't bad. The desk staff was always very helpful and courteous. The lobby and elevators were clean. The neighborhood is mostly ok. The hotel is located very conveniently for anyone visiting because of the VA hospital which is directly across the street. The AC worked. I wasn't bothered by any street noise, my bed was comfortable and sleep quality was fine. Linens were clean. There was no sign of vermin in the room. If all you want is a place to park yourself for the night, the Comfort Inn will do.

Now for the bad parts. My suite was badly maintained. It looked like the wall had been punched in one place and nobody had repaired it. The half bathroom had no soap (it was never stocked during my 4 night stay) and the full bathroom lacked a shower curtain. There were candy wrappers under a chair in the living room (never picked up by the maid during my stay). I found a previous guest's driver's license stuck between the couch cushions. The patio furniture had protective foam still wrapped around the legs, tattered and flapping in the wind god-only-knows how long since it was delivered. There were cigarette butts and beer bottle caps on the floor of the balcony. The most bizarre fake fireplace flickered pathetically in the living room. Mysterious white dust was on the floor of the main bathroom under the sink and was never cleaned up during my stay. Switch plate covers had been splattered with paint and partially painted over.

This was clearly once a very nice hotel suite but somewhere along the line they seem to have simply stopped caring. Neither the maid nor the maintenance staff are doing their jobs.

While I am at it, what is the point of installing a very large kitchen but only supplying it with a standard mini-fridge and a microwave? No stove. Why are there rows of cabinets and drawers, completely empty? Under what possible circumstance would a guest arrive with boxes and boxes of their own dishes and glasses and cooking equipment to fill up the cabinets and then, uh, microwave dinner?

The location is great if you are there for the VA hospital, which I wasn't. If you are in town to do stuff downtown, you are definitely compromising by staying here. The free trolley that supposedly runs every 15 minutes actually runs every 30 minutes, and in order to get to the historic district you have to change trolleys and wait for another one. Realistically, it will take you 60-90 minutes to get to-and-from by the trolley so in practice you'll need to take cabs back and forth for about $10 a trip. The only dining within 10 minutes walking distance is fast food (McDonalds, Burger King, etc.) You have to cross a highway to buy beer on foot.

As I said earlier, the desk staff was great. The Comfort Inn just needs to spruce up these rooms soon or else they are on a clear decline into disaster.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Steamrabbit
comforinn11, Manager at Comfort Inn Downtown Charleston, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
I want to apologize for the issues you had while you were staying with us. I wanted you to know that I have addressed each and every issue with the appropriate departments and have taken care of these problems. We hope that you will come back and visit us so we can give you the service that you deserve.
West Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Loved the beds and pillows; very comfortable for a night's sleep. The location is great. You can catch a shuttle to downtown in front of the hotel. They offer a decent breakfast. This hotel is busy; especially on the weekends . It is a little dated and the cleanliness is ok. Parking is full most of the time.

Room Tip: Get to breakfast early to beat the crowd.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Michellyga
Streamwood, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

Loved: staff was really good, suite was roomy, pool was decent albeit cold and not heated, location was pretty good, price was good fir Charleston during Spoleto

Hated: corned beef hash at breakfast really? No one is eating that. Parking was tight, no hot tub

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
New Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

First, the good things. The room was recently renovated and the amenities were quite nice. Lots of pillows and a very comfortable bed. The buffet breakfast is good but seating barely accommodates a 'full house', especially near the end of the service hours. The free trolley right outside the front door is super covenant. The staff was very helpful. Now the not so good things - despite the recent renovation, there is no fan in the bathroom. Other than the obvious issue, it makes the whole room steamy (something you don't need in steamy Charleston). The parking is a challenge; this is near downtown and the hotel parking is insufficient. Overflow parking spaces mean moving your car as early as 8 a.m. (to where I'm not sure!). And, last the internet service was terrible; the staff knew and said the ISP had been notified but for the time we were there, it was anything but 'hi speed' - more like no speed.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NewMexicoSilverqueen
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

I was originally assigned to room 322 and found 3 roaches (one dead in the refrigerator, one in the bathroom and one crawling out of the clock radio). The staff did move my room to 202. After I checked out, I noticed that my card was charged an additional $227 and the manager confirmed that was a mistake and would be resolved within 24 hours. The issue was not resolved. The manager said that she would be able to fax a letter to the bank. After checking my account the following day, I found that in addition to the $227 there was another (accidental) charge of $421 on my account from the Comfort Inn.After calling again, the manager said that she would fax the bank and call me back within 15 minutes. None of that was done. I called the comfort inn headquarters and they said that they would take note of my issue and apologized for my experience.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank cml424
newark,de
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

I just called the Comfort Inn in Charleston to check on my reservation that I made for my son and his wife for Friday of this week. We wanted to let them know that we were placing their room on our credit card and to insure that they would not be asked to pay on arrival. The person I talked to was so rude, I could not wait to get off the phone. She acted like it was a chore to talk to me. As someone who worked in information and referral for five years, I know a little about how to conduct yourself when you speak to a customer/client. This woman (don't know her name), does not belong in a job with customer contact! Hope their stay is nicer than my experience!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple