“Not impressed”

Comfort Inn Downtown Charleston
Ranked #49 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

The good points were that the bed was comfy and parking and wifi is free but that's where it ends I'm afraid. The room is way overpriced for what it is (over $200 even when booked well in advance), the location isn't great as it's a taxi journey to get to any decent shops & restaurants and is described as in the downtown area but isn't, no milk provided in the room for tea/coffee, the shower is appalling as the water amount is too small, the towels are too small and the walls are so thin you can clearly hear people's conversation next door. Would not recommend this hotel.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank GemA85
There are newer reviews for Comfort Inn Downtown Charleston

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Stayed there on our trip from Florida to New Brunswick. We choose it to the "near" downtown location. Wasn't quiet near downtown, you had to go there by car, but downtown was easy to reach. Hotel was very clean, served a good breakfast and worth this acceptable price.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
comforinn11, Manager at Comfort Inn Downtown Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2014

Thank you for staying with us while you were traveling from Florida to New Brunswick. We know you had many hotels to choose from and are privileged that you chose us. We hope that your trip was a pleasant one and that you arrived at your destination safely. We hope that you will come visit us again soon.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Our stay was very pleasant at this location , it was perfect for exploring Charleston. The room was clean, bed were comfortable. The area around the hotel felt safe enough to walk at night . I will stay here again

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Suhail M
Reviewed 16 July 2014

The hotel was an okay price (a little higher than it deserved but not outrages). The breakfast was great. The WiFi was horrible. The bed was hard an absolutely no views from the hotel. The breakfast staff was great. The rest of staff was completely indifferent to guests.

Worst part: I left a tablet in the room at checkout and it has since disappeared. I called that night to tell them and nobody would help me and made me call back the next to talk to housekeeping. Housekeeping said they weren't there so they couldn't help and never called me back. I had to call 4 times to get the AGM. The AGM called and kind of looked into it - a quick look in the room but didn't actually search anything until after other guests had stayed in the room. My husband and I both know we left it in the room. There is no doubt in our minds that it was left. The staff could not have cared less and couldn't be bothered to really look. In the end, the housekeeper said she didn't see it so the AGM said that's it. I've had to file a police report and am basically out a brand new (less than 1 week old) tablet because I was unfortunate enough to stay there.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alyssa F

I want to apologize again about the issues that you had while you stayed with us. When we spoke on the phone I assured you that I would look into the tablet that you had left behind. I had my houseman move all the furniture in your room to see if it fell behind the bed or maybe in the chair since you said you were not sure where you had left it. We spoke numerous times after that and I assured you that my housekeeping staff was addressed about the tablet and they did not find it in your room. I have a very trustworthy staff and if they find something in a guests room it is turned into the Executive Housekeeper and logged. Unfortunately, we were not able to find the tablet that was left behind. Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

I got a decent deal on this room through priceline. I notice they say this is "downtown" charleston, but its really not downtown. Lucky for us, it was located near MUSC where my mom was at. The place is clean, we had some issues with the vending machines, no big deal. Parking, on the other hand can be an issue. very limited parking at this place. Id stay here again if I happened to get a good deal again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for choosing the Comfort Inn Downtown. We are only 1 3/4 miles from the historic district and we have a free trolley stop right next to the hotel. We do acknowledge that parking is an issue so to accommodate our guests we have overflow parking at the bank right next to us and free valet service to move the car back to our lot so our guests do not have to get up early to move their car. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Well to start off we had a hard time even parking, I have never seen a hotel with such inadequate parking! You feel like you did not want to leave your stop for fear of not finding one again.

The rooms are smaller than I am used to, bed had an imprint like someone had sat on the bed. The pool was small however cleaner than most and is on the top of 3rd floor outside,rather nice.

We were not greeted as they talked to a fried at desk, ran my card twice don't know why?

We left after 3 days there asked if we got a paper under door I said yes said bal 00 he said ok , I then said I would like a receipt for what was charged to my account looked puzzled!

Room Tip: One of two elevators were out when we arrived, I would chose first floor
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
comforinn11, Manager at Comfort Inn Downtown Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Thank you for staying at the Comfort Inn Downtown Charleston. On behalf of my staff I want to apologize for you not being greeted when you walked in. It is our goal to acknowledge each of our guests personal and sometimes we unfortunately miss one. I will speak to my staff about this matter. I am not sure how you paid, if you paid through a third party your receipt will say 00 because you received your receipt through the third party. I am not sure of your last name so I can not look it up but if you would call the hotel directly it would be my pleasure to speak with you. My name is Melinda. I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

June 28th weekend:
We arrived in SC at 3:30 am after driving an exhausting 9 hours. This was an obvious busy weekend and ALL nearby hotels were full. We had reservations elsewhere but had a horrible experience and did not receive what we asked/paid for so we were left with trying to find somewhere else. And we did at 5 am!

I cannot emphasize more that staff and their attitude towards their customers/job at ANY establishment make a huge difference in a customers experience. This staff hands down exceeded that!

Every moment of my stay here was awesome! From Tiffany at the front desk who gave us a temporary room and personally rolled in a roll-away bed so we could rest from our long drive and horrible experience. To the manager who personally delivered or new room keys as soon as the room was vacant and cleaned, was heartfelt.

Both rooms were clean and spacious, the breakfast had a great variety of choices and was kept clean by very helpful staff. (I did not get the name of the lady/staff who came over and helped me with getting my food on a tray to my room, but thanks again)!

The new shift front desk staff was very friendly and helpful with directing us to places to eat for dinner and called a taxi which we only waited for, for only 2-3 minutes. I recommend the bubba shrimp co..!!!!

I have uploaded pictures of the fantastuc suite they gave us, but was too exhausted to take pictures of the first one.

I highly recommend this hotel and their staff anytime! I'll be back in August!

• Stayed: June 2014