“Good hotel for a business traveler to Charleston”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Charleston - Historic Charleston
Ranked #44 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
Alexandria, Virginia
“Good hotel for a business traveler to Charleston”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2009

I stayed at the Embassy Suites while on a 2-week business trip to Charleston. It is a clean, full-service hotel in a great location. The staff was friendly and made me feel at home.

The hotel is located in the old Citadel building right near the Visitor's Center and on Marion Square. There are plenty of restaurant options, as well as shopping, nearby.
The 2-room suite on the top floor overlooking Marion Square was clean and in good working condition. The bed was comfortable and the suite had a microwave, refrigerator, mini sink and coffee pot, which was great for a long stay.

The hotel also has amenities, such as a pool and fitness room. Breakfast, including made-to-order omelettes, was provided every morning. Every afternoon, there was a happy hour with free food and drinks. The hotel also has a small shop and laundry facility.

I would definitely recommend the hotel for business travelers on a long stay.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
Sarasota, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2009

Our family stayed one night at this Embassy Suites, the following night we stayed at another Embassy Suites in Columbia, SC. This one in Charleston was okay. We checked in and went to our room and after requesting a high floor found ourselves on the first floor, then when we went in the rug was badly stained, just didn't feel so clean. My husband went back to the desk and they had one room which was 2 dbl. beds instead of a King set up. We took the room and it was much cleaner but still felt dark and small. The Manager's reception was not so great, it took forever to get a drink, about 15 minutes in line, a very long line through the lobby with one bartender and there were a few vegetables & dip and that was about it. The breakfast in the morning was great, we had no problem getting a table for breakfast in the breakfast room and they had set up a buffet in the center of the hotel for the over flow which really helped with the amount of people they served on Easter morning. It was quite a walk into the historic part of Charleston, a long walk! The Visitor's Center is real close but everything else was a lot of walking.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
Hickory
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2009

I just returned from the Embassy Suites in Charleston and was very disappointed in the hotel. The reservation was made for a non-smoking two-room suite with two queen beds. However, when we arrived that was not available. They gave us a room with one queen bed, and a pull out sofa bed FOR THE SAME EXACT PRICE. I had to stand on the bed to even look out the window, for which I had a view of the parking garage. The breakfast room was very small, and all 3 mornings they were out of water and cranberry juice. The parking garage was full, so we were forced to valet park for $18/day. Also, on Sunday morning (our 3rd day there), we received a call at 5:45 AM to remind of us breakfast at 7:00am. That was ridiculous, and nobody could explain why that happened. I love Charleston, and will return, just not at this hotel!

• Stayed March 2009
1 Thank bran6519
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2009

I stayed here for one night in March with my college aged kids. I booked this hotel using Hilton points and I am glad to have stayed here. I visited Charleston this summer and decided to save my points stay until I needed more room. We had a room on the top floor with 2 beds plus the sofa bed. WE loved the hotel .

What a great building. We took advantage of the free happy hours from 5:30-7:30. Free drinks and decent snacks that varied from veggies to chicken fingers to pork. We sat out in the courtyard and it was great.

The buffet breakfast in the morning was fine. Plenty to choose from.

The location is perfect. The parking garage behind the hotel was 12 for the night. less than $1.00 an hour which is a great deal.

I would definately stay here again. The room was clean, the amenities are great and the location is perfect.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
Australian in New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2008

Wow, I am surprised at the mixed reviews here so I will throw mine in the mix too. We stayed here in August for a week while settling our daughter into CofC. We could see her dorm from our room and loved watching the students frolic in the big park out front. We actually moved here from a nearby hotel because it was much better value. We paid $140 a night for my sister, myself and my two young sons. breakfast was great and was included. My sister had the pullout which she said was very comfy while the boys and i shared the bedroom with 2 double beds. The pool was immaculately clean as was the hot tub, and a very pleasant area to relax as it was HOT. The managers reception was great -house spirits, wine and beer for two hours plus hot food! After the second day, the lady running it would just ask if we wanted our usual -they were just so friendly. So with breakfast and an early evening snack included, this was amazing value. Neither of these were on offer at the other hotel. They also have a guest laundry which was a bonus for us long stayers. My only complaint was the guys mowing the grass in the park below which they did every day starting at about 7.45. We didn't hear any noise from other rooms apart from one nite when our upstairs neighbor decided to throw a party but the front desk were very quick to attend to that when we called at 2am. I definitely intend to stay here again, especially given my daughter is here for the next 4 years.

Stayed August 2008
2 Thank travelbunny
The Villages, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Embassy Suites, located in the original Citadel military school, on October 30th & 31st. As stated by some reviewers, the rooms are on the small side, and have an awkward layout; however, the location of the building -right in the heart of the historic area, right next to magnificent city park (with a great Farmers Market on Saturday mornings), 2 blocks from the Visitors Center AND near many wonderful restaurants - far outweighed any disadvantages the room may have afforded. We found the staff welcoming and helpful, the concierge knowledgable and the free breakfast (with omelet station) hearty and convenient. The evening's "Manager's Reception" is in a small area and nothing to write home about. All in all, we will definitely stay there again on our next trip.

• Liked — Location, Location, Location!
  • Disliked — room size
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank ApplesofQueens
Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2008

My wife and I decided to stop over in Charleston on the way home from a vacation in Hilton Head, SC. Having stayed at Embassy Suite hotels in Philadelphia (1 night), Napa (6 nights), Seaside CA (3 nights), Lake Tahoe (1 night) & San Luis Obispo (1 night) in the past, I thought I knew what I was getting when walking in to the Charleston ES. The price for a non smoking double ($329) seemed very high but I thought that was due to the historic location and well.....you get the nice breakfast in the morning. The manager's cocktail reception didn't figure in to the equation since we would be out sightseeing during that time of day. In previous ES locations except for Napa, the cocktail reception has almost always been marred by those guests who seem not to have eaten for days and are also determined to drink as much free alcohol as possible. When we checked in, we were disappointed by the overall drabness of the room and atrium. Vending machines on each floor made it convenient for those who wanted a quick snack. Unbelievably, there was no restaurant inside the hotel but rather posters of restaurants in the elevators and public spaces. The breakfast was served in a small (and I do mean small) eating area right off the lobby. There were a total of fifteen tables of four inside the eating area which explains the warning notices inside the elevators about what time you should get to the breakfast line in order to alleviate the congestion. Every other ES I've stayed in had the breakfast area in the huge atriums with plenty of seating. The Charleston ES does have a huge atrium space which they choose not to use for breakfast. And now, the elevators. There are only two elevators for the entire four floor hotel........when they were working. On two occasions I pressed the call button and waited more than ten minutes for the elevator to come while the crowd grew behind me. One woman complained that she waited longer than fifteen minutes earlier in the day while the elevator kept bypassing her floor without stopping. She said the call button light kept going out as if employees were overriding floors when they were on board. The staff seemed very young compared to the other ES I've stayed at. On the plus side, the service was very good from the front desk to car hops and breakfast staff. The quality of the breakfast was very good. This ES has a business office area with free internet access (entry to the business office area by use of your room key). Overall I felt that there was poor value for the overpriced cost of the room. I've come to expect more from Embassy Suites.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — The facility is lacking.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank 1eyeclosed