“Photoshop should be outlawed”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Charleston - Historic Charleston
Ranked #44 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
Nashville, TN
“Photoshop should be outlawed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2009

My sisters and I visited Charleston over the weekend of August 6-9. We chose Embassy Suites based on the reviews and location as it is right in the shopping district. The pictures on the website made the hotel seem newly remodeled and on the road to plush. We we arrived we were impressed by the charm of the historic lobby and Jimmy at the front desk (very nice guy and quite helpful). The good impression ended the minute we stepped off of the elevator and onto our floor. The hallway looked as though it hadn't been vacuumed in weeks. When we entered the room I was reminded that I should pick a hotel thinking my room would actually look like the picture on the website. The air conditioning panel was leaning up against the wall rather than screwed in. The ceiling and walls were terrible. Drywall hell! The toilet didn't flush right the whole time though we called maintenance each day and were told each time the problem was fixed. The beds were tiny. The floors were uneven so all the furniture was leaning. The wet bar sink faucet spit some kind of slimy build-up every time we turned it on. Every day our towels had hair on them from previous users. I have been known to be a room diva, but for the sake of my group I put my big girl panties and stayed there for 3 nights. I've stayed in Days Inn's nicer and cleaner than Embassy Suites. Jimmy at the front desk should try to get a job at The Francis Marion because he is overqualified for that hotel. If by chance you choose to ignore my warning, walk across the street to Spa Adagio in the Francis Marion and let Thomas give you a massage. He is incredible!

• Stayed August 2009
1 Thank domesticdiva81

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2009

Nice hotel in a central location. Excellent place to stay for a trip to Charleston.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Tuscaloosa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2009

My wife and I visited Charleston for the 4th. I didn't really know what to expect from the hotel except for the pictures on the website. I stayed in a corner room on the 4th floor with a balcony. A must if it's your first time here. The atrium was fantastic and looking out you can get a glimpse of what the cadets must have seen everyday. This is not a new hotel - this is an historic building! Don't go thinking this is modern. If you love history - you will love this place. Downtown was well within walking distance. The valets were very friendly and helpful. The front desk was even better! The maid staff who didn't speak a word of English, was thorough and quick. The pictures on the mezzanine level really let you see the history of the building. the breakfast was excellent - especially since it was included. The managers social was good but got crowded quickly since the hotel was full.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank csentell
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2009

I stayed at the Embassy Suites with a group of girlfriends this past weekend. The location is great - right in the middle of everything so that we didn't need a car. The free breakfast was great -- tons of food to choose from. We also took advantage of the 2 hour complimentary happy hour.

What really impressed me about this hotel was the service. My flight was canceled and I ended up staying in Charleston an extra 6 hours. With no problem at all, the hotel extended my checkout time 4 hours. I really appreciated it.

It's not the most beautiful hotel ever, but it's in the old Citadel building, so it's kind of cool on the inside, with a large atrium and circular staircases.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank LovesMyDogs
Orange County
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2009

Spent 3 nights & 2 days @ this hotel & really enjoyed our stay. Staying in a beautiful, modern hotel, that used to be the Citadel, really added to our vacation experience. Hotel is within 10-15 minutes walk of city & marketplace, is 5-10 minute walk to Ft. Sumpter ferry, and less than 5 minue walk to visitor center, where tours can be booked, and depart, as well as to bus stop for city tour trolley, which is $1.50 per trip, or $5 for unlimited day. I expected a smaller room than usual, and this is true. Room was very nice, furnishings were clean, nice and comfortable. Had room on 4th floor, with view of Citadel parade groud/Marion Square from window. Breakfast was very good, with lots of choices & no wait. Manager's happy hour also a nice experience, after walking around the city. Lobby is beautiful with big comfortable chairs & couches. Concierge Frank was very helpful in offering suggestions on daily itineraries, and tips on how to get around. When compared to other hotels in similar price range & location & amenities, this is a good choice. History buffs should make sure to see the old photos on the mezzanine level (including in banquet rooms) and ask staff about history of the hotel - very interesting. We loved Charleston, and thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Lv2travel95
cooter104@sbcglobal.net
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2009

Great Location, can see all of downtown Charleston from hotel. Next to Visitors center.
Excellent, home-cooked breakfasts, best had even at 5 Star places. Evening Mgrs coctail hours were Great. O'r dearves were a little skimpy, but the Beer/ wines etc were
"All you can drink" Wine was some of Best I've had in South. Room was Good, we were upgraded to a Premium room with no extra charge, Maybe because Honors member?
Rooms can be a little dark as this Ancient Bldg wasn't made to be a modern hotel,
with limited windows. Quiet though even with large pretty courtyard.
Did lots of research before spending week in Charleston and was WELL SATISIFIED.
A beautiful city, and this Hotel Is Perfect at a Reasonable Price!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cooter104
Washington DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2009

My wife and I plus two adult children spent two days here. The building is the original Citadel site and is one mile from the harbor point in Historic Charleston so if you can walk two miles round trip everything in historic Charleston is within each. With parking and taxes, I paid about $275 a night. For that you get a two room suite with two televisions, microwave and refridgerator, a very good free breakfast and a manager's reception. A website picture of the hotel displays the attractive attrium where you might think the manager's reception is held. It is not although both evenings there were invitation-only food and drinks in that location. The manager's reception is in the lobby and offers limited finger food and free drinks. If the hotel is crowded as it was on our second night, the long bar line may convince you to go elsewhere a pay for your alchohol.

Valet parking is on site while the $12 self parking is in a government garage nearby.

Overall we enjoyed the hotel as expected in view of Embassy suites' high standards. However if if were just me and my spouse, I would choose the Days Inn down Meeting street. There parking is free and right outside the room, the rooms are cheaper, and the location is better. I don't need a useless atrium and door greeters.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family