“Really Beautiful Historic Hotel”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Charleston - Historic Charleston
Ranked #44 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 16 August 2009

We really enjoyrd our stay at the Embassy Suites - Citadel. That said, when visiting you need to remember that this is a historic property and as such isn't the cookie cutter Embassy Suites. The rooms were a bit smaller (even though we had a handicapped accessible room) and there was a bit of a "room freshener" smell all the time but that was fine with us since the ambience of thr hotel in the public areas was simply lovely. Whoever designed the lobby area really understood the finer points of Lowcountry high society - understated and elegant...
The breakfast was without a doubt the best I've ever had at an Embassy Suites ( and I stayed at another one just a week prior so I had a recent experience to compare). Eggs cooked to perfection (2 over easy) as well as really tasty potatoes and bacon and sausage all enjoyed on comfortable wrought iron chairs on an open air terrace.
It was about 10 blocks to the heart of the historic district - roughly a 7 minute walk but I was glad of it as we discovered some of the best and most interesting restaurants and bars on our walk down the "Museum Mile". The area felt really safe even after midnight - we did a late night ghost tour - but if you are an all ight partier this is not the part of town for you. It was Friday night and they pretty much rolled up the sidewalks at midnight...

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank ccFlyer
There are newer reviews for Embassy Suites by Hilton Charleston - Historic Charleston

Reviewed 11 August 2009

Absolutely beautiful hotel until you get to the rooms. I was expecting a lot better from Embassy Suites. Our suite was ment for a meeting so there was a huge 10 person table which made the layout pretty awkward. There was nothing on the white wash walls to give the room any charm and worst of all there was only one window in the master bedroom, therefore there was no telling what time of day it was in the common area or the other bedroom (I thought that was a fire code violation). Also the suite happened to be right across from the elevators and we heard every ding. The walls were so paper thin that I could hear the cleaning crews across the hall and since the hotel is an open atrium there was no need for an alarm clock when breakfast was served you would know.

Redeeming qualities would be that the two bedroom suite had two full bathrooms as well. Breakfast was a perk and so was the happy hour. Service was good, very friendly staff they would talk with you in the elevator.

Location was a 20 min walk from the best of downtown Charleston. I've researched hotel prices a lot and there is a definite correlation between location and price so $400 a night was not a value at all. And you'd think if you were staying in one of the most expensive rooms in the hotel you would get free parking, think again, $12 a day (and the parking garage was so clearly owned by Hilton bc there was a Hampton Inn next door too). Oh the pool is tiny and more for kids than adult lounging.

You may ask, why did you stay there? It was one of few hotel in downtown Charleston with a suite that slept 6.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank peachmasterv
Reviewed 10 August 2009

My sisters and I visited Charleston over the weekend of August 6-9. We chose Embassy Suites based on the reviews and location as it is right in the shopping district. The pictures on the website made the hotel seem newly remodeled and on the road to plush. We we arrived we were impressed by the charm of the historic lobby and Jimmy at the front desk (very nice guy and quite helpful). The good impression ended the minute we stepped off of the elevator and onto our floor. The hallway looked as though it hadn't been vacuumed in weeks. When we entered the room I was reminded that I should pick a hotel thinking my room would actually look like the picture on the website. The air conditioning panel was leaning up against the wall rather than screwed in. The ceiling and walls were terrible. Drywall hell! The toilet didn't flush right the whole time though we called maintenance each day and were told each time the problem was fixed. The beds were tiny. The floors were uneven so all the furniture was leaning. The wet bar sink faucet spit some kind of slimy build-up every time we turned it on. Every day our towels had hair on them from previous users. I have been known to be a room diva, but for the sake of my group I put my big girl panties and stayed there for 3 nights. I've stayed in Days Inn's nicer and cleaner than Embassy Suites. Jimmy at the front desk should try to get a job at The Francis Marion because he is overqualified for that hotel. If by chance you choose to ignore my warning, walk across the street to Spa Adagio in the Francis Marion and let Thomas give you a massage. He is incredible!

• Stayed: August 2009
1  Thank domesticdiva81
Reviewed 10 August 2009

Nice hotel in a central location. Excellent place to stay for a trip to Charleston.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2009

My wife and I visited Charleston for the 4th. I didn't really know what to expect from the hotel except for the pictures on the website. I stayed in a corner room on the 4th floor with a balcony. A must if it's your first time here. The atrium was fantastic and looking out you can get a glimpse of what the cadets must have seen everyday. This is not a new hotel - this is an historic building! Don't go thinking this is modern. If you love history - you will love this place. Downtown was well within walking distance. The valets were very friendly and helpful. The front desk was even better! The maid staff who didn't speak a word of English, was thorough and quick. The pictures on the mezzanine level really let you see the history of the building. the breakfast was excellent - especially since it was included. The managers social was good but got crowded quickly since the hotel was full.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank csentell
Reviewed 29 June 2009

I stayed at the Embassy Suites with a group of girlfriends this past weekend. The location is great - right in the middle of everything so that we didn't need a car. The free breakfast was great -- tons of food to choose from. We also took advantage of the 2 hour complimentary happy hour.

What really impressed me about this hotel was the service. My flight was canceled and I ended up staying in Charleston an extra 6 hours. With no problem at all, the hotel extended my checkout time 4 hours. I really appreciated it.

It's not the most beautiful hotel ever, but it's in the old Citadel building, so it's kind of cool on the inside, with a large atrium and circular staircases.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank LovesMyDogs
Reviewed 27 June 2009

Spent 3 nights & 2 days @ this hotel & really enjoyed our stay. Staying in a beautiful, modern hotel, that used to be the Citadel, really added to our vacation experience. Hotel is within 10-15 minutes walk of city & marketplace, is 5-10 minute walk to Ft. Sumpter ferry, and less than 5 minue walk to visitor center, where tours can be booked, and depart, as well as to bus stop for city tour trolley, which is $1.50 per trip, or $5 for unlimited day. I expected a smaller room than usual, and this is true. Room was very nice, furnishings were clean, nice and comfortable. Had room on 4th floor, with view of Citadel parade groud/Marion Square from window. Breakfast was very good, with lots of choices & no wait. Manager's happy hour also a nice experience, after walking around the city. Lobby is beautiful with big comfortable chairs & couches. Concierge Frank was very helpful in offering suggestions on daily itineraries, and tips on how to get around. When compared to other hotels in similar price range & location & amenities, this is a good choice. History buffs should make sure to see the old photos on the mezzanine level (including in banquet rooms) and ask staff about history of the hotel - very interesting. We loved Charleston, and thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family