“Bugs, Draft, and Noisy room greeted us on our stay.”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Charleston Riverview
Ranked #54 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 4 April 2012

We were told upon booking we would have a riverside view. But upon our arrival our room was in the second building on the side with a wonderful view of the highway. The door clearly was letting in a draft due to the HUGE gap between the door and the frame (which also let in bugs I imagine). Air conditioning was noisy on top of sounds of cars flying by. Not to mention when it blew air into our already cold room it smelled foul. And to make things EVEN BETTER (sarcasm) when we got in bed we found what looked to be dead fleas inbetween our supposedly "clean" sheets. My mother complained of what appeared to be bites of some sort from the suspected fleas. Also internet connection wasnt that great I was kicked off multiple times for reasons I don't know.The hotel was fairly cheap, but you dont recieve the fridge or a microwave. Also to make the missing fridge situation that much more convienient; the ice machine was broken. My mom lovingly referred to our hotel as a s*** hole the rest of our stay.

Room Tip: Interior rooms are the better ones if you cant get those I wouldnt reccomend staying here unless yo...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Tiffany H
There are newer reviews for La Quinta Inn & Suites Charleston Riverview

Reviewed 27 March 2012

First, the good news. Your dog is welcome here. I saw plenty of happy dogs, and the staff all seemed pet-friendly. The place didn't smell like the pound or a vet office either, so I didn't realize dogs were welcome until I saw the first one. Generally, there was nothing to complain about with respect to the pets. One day, a dog in the room above us got pretty upset at being left alone. It was the only dog I heard during our 3-day visit. I went upstairs and listened at the door and could tell the dog was alone and getting pretty worried about it. The front desk keeps a number to reach the owner at, so they just called and the owner came right back. I asked a maid about cleaning with a dog in the room, and she said they have no problem with dogs in the crate, but if the dog is loose, they will not clean. If you want to visit with your pup, just call the hotel and check their policies. If I bring my dog with me in the future, this is the place I'm probably going to stay.

The location is good and has a nice view of the marina at Ashley Pointe. It is convenient to downtown -- just minutes away across the bridge. I have stayed in this and other properties on this creek a number of times, and I like being able to get away from downtown sometimes. The marina is a particularly useful location if you have family or friends that live on or use a boat here. You can get fishing charters here and I have gone SCUBA diving from this marina too.

The title makes the point that this is a budget hotel. It is cheaper than the surrounding properties. The trade off is that the facilities are getting run down. Some rooms are unattractive, and others are pretty nice. I saw two rooms and took the more expensive one, because it was significantly nicer. In general, the carpet is a bit worn and spotted; many of the rooms smell like old smoke; and the furniture is worn. The room I ended up in was fine, and even if there was some obvious wear and tear, it was clean and comfortable.

Finally, the staff worked hard and was cheerful and friendly. I talked with a few of them and asked questions, so this is more than just an impression.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the marina side. It may cost a bit more, but it will be quieter and have a better...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 March 2012

Just finished up a two night stay. Price is very good ($85 per night), considering the hotel is just across the river from the historic area. You can drive it in about 10 minutes.
Rooms overlooking the marina may have a view, but we faced a very busy highway and there was a lot of noise. Good TV and free WiFi in room. Allows pets, but I didn't see any signs of problems in our room. Standard free breakfast, but the fruit was better than usual.
Lobby help friendly and we bought discounted tickets for magnolia Plantation.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the marina. And maybe third floor.
1  Thank LynnTTT
A TripAdvisor Member
Surfside Beach, South Carolina, USA
Reviewed 22 March 2012

Very nice property in a great location where you can walk to dinner and then back not having to worry about being a little too much happy hour.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 20 March 2012

We stayed for 2 nights and have nothing but good things to say about our room and our stay. We had a huge, very comfortable king size bed. Our room was clean with plenty of space and a what looked like a recently renovated bathroom. Nice big flat screen TV with lot's of channels and the wifi worked great. We were in the newer section with inside access and found it to be very quiet. Breakfast was good, although if you go after 8 am it is a very busy place, they do have lot's of choices and enough tables for everyone. The area is perfect, great view of the marina, only a few minutes from Historic Charleston and easy access to the highway. The restaurant, California dreaming, which is located at the end of the parking lot was fantatic, great views, wonderful food, good service and very reasonable prices. Check in and out were fast and friendly, all in all a fantastic experience.

1  Thank rawnyd
Reviewed 19 March 2012

The staff is so friendly, the hotel is in a good area and good location. We travel with our dog and the hotel is very accommodating. This is one of the best values for your money. Breakfast area is very clean and organized with many choices. We love this hotel. It is an older hotel, but it doesn't matter, because the staff cares and they take good care of it. Thank you for accommodating us and our dog.

Room Tip: if you have a dog they try to put you on the first floor. Thank you. All the rooms seem fine.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank sallybeecleveland
Reviewed 14 March 2012

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Larry R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charleston
Holiday Inn Charleston Riverview
Residence Inn Charleston Downtown/Riverview
Comfort Inn Downtown Charleston
SpringHill Suites Charleston Downtown/Riverview
Tides Folly Beach
Tides Folly Beach
#1 of 1 in Folly Beach
Holiday Inn Express Charleston Downtown - Medical Area

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Charleston Riverview? Share your experiences!