“Great rooms, lousy restaurant”

Holiday Inn Charleston Riverview
Ranked #43 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Hamilton, NJ
“Great rooms, lousy restaurant”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I found this hotel to be quite nice as far as the rooms go. Clean, comfortable, and fresh. All the linens were fresh. Wifi was actually quite fast compared to other hotels I have stayed in recently. Bathroom was well appointed. Looks like this hotel has been redone in the past few years and it shows.

But - the restaurant - leaves a LOT to be desired. The following is my review from eating dinner there (which is also posted on Yelp):

The view is amazing, and it's convenient for Holiday Inn guests....but the food????

I'm pretty sure they are using the same food service as a diner I frequent back in Jersey. Let's start with the rolls - diamond shaped rolls which are supposed to be warmed. When warmed properly - the slightly sweet glaze on top adds flavor. These were barely warmed - leaving an ugly sticky pasty bumpy half glaze. Those rolls I've seen at my local diner in Jersey too. Exactly the same.

I ordered the Salmon with Teriyaki ginger sauce. Comes with salad so I opted for Caesar.

Caesar salad - about on par with an average caesar salad at any chain. Not great but not bad.

The salmon - grilled - but overcooked and dried out. But hey - a teriyaki sauce might help re-moisten it. Nope, not a chance. No teriyaki sauce was gonna help this. The teriyaki sauce was in a little cup on the side -not even over it at all. And - it was a salty teriyaki - very little sweet or ginger - and THIN. Like water thin. A nice thick glaze with some sweet would have helped a little. Nope, not a chance.

The veggies with the salmon? A carrot/broccoli/cauliflower mix. Overcooked too - broc was dark olive green - not bright green, carrots were mushy, and I don't like cauliflower. Get some fresh broc and steam and drizzle a little garlic butter glaze folks - it would have been a big improvement. This seemed like it would have been from a frozen bag and overdone.

Mashed potatoes. Parts hot, parts cold, I don't think they were freshly made but I could be wrong.

Service - was just fine. Greeter, server - courteous and pleasant and helpful.

Folks - if you're staying at the Holiday Inn - don't bother. Go have a drink in the lounge to soak in the view. For dinner - you could do better elsewhere. You see these other reviews on Yelp? That are bad? Please believe them. It's not good. Which is really a shame, because honestly - if it was GOOD - they'd attract way more than hotel guests and have a nice little gem here.

I also had the breakfast buffet. It's hard to mess that up. It was fine. Eggs good, toast fine, bacon good. But why even charge for a breakfast buffet when so many mid-range hotels provide it for free?

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Robert U
frontdeskmanager843, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Riverview, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Robert U,
I want to take the time to sincerely thank you for your detailed feedback. Our Housekeeping & Maintenance staff work extremely hard to keep our 178 room property "Up to Date & Fresh". We take great pride in our guests' appreciation of that. Each room is prepared daily with the Holiday Inn Brand Bedding Collection & our Bath & Body Works amenity collection. Our Harbor View Restaurant atop the hotel provides spectacular, panoramic views of the Ashley River. We have recently added a new Food & Beverage Director, a Charleston Native with 10+ years of Lowcountry Culinary experience. We apologize that during this transitional period we failed to meet your expectations. We are currently revamping our Food & Beverage selections and our Director has a great action plan in place for improvement. Your feedback is much appreciated and has helped identify opportunities for improvement within our restaurant. I do hope you will consider giving us a second chance upon your next visit to Charleston as our TEAM is excited for the changes ahead! Thank you again for your feedback!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
Harrison, Ohio
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Holiday Inn Riverview in Charleston Sc, is the place to be if you want to feel like you matter and be treated royally. The staff at HI Riverview is Wonderful, they tend to your every need. The Hotel is clean, nice rooms, comfortable beds, and the view is Amazing.
Minutes away from downtown Charleston too!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Dawn H
Jeremy M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Riverview, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Dawn H,
You are our guest and we want you to feel like royalty, as you should be! Thanks for staying with us we look forward to seeing you in the future.
Graysville
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We arrived a little early for our reservation but were able to check in. The desk staff was very friendly and accommodating. Our room had a spectacular view. We had a very comfortable bed, 4 cup coffee maker, good AC, fridge but no microwave. A good shower with good pressure. The only downside was the wifi. It was extremely slow. We tried the room service. The person who took our order was helpful & friendly. The delivery guy was also. The food was piping hot & delicious. The price was pretty fair, too. We tried the restaurant for breakfast, you get a discount coupon. It was a buffet with a pretty good selection & an incredible view. The hotel is located just a few minutes from most everywhere in Charleston. Free parking. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank puff99
Dear puff99,
We all appreciate your business and thank you for your wonderful comments. All of our guest rooms include: complimentary refrigerator, Coffee maker, extensive HD Programming and complimentary WIFI. Moreover, our “view guest rooms” for a minimal amount more is worth the extra charge, the views are mesmerizing in the morning while drinking coffee or while watching the sunset in the evening. Our complimentary parking allows you to save money so you can enjoy an adult beverage in our restaurant/bar on the 15th floor. Thanks for recommending our hotel to everyone.
South Carolina
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed on the night of June 14. Great view from the restaurant. Service was tip top. We were treated like family. Waiter was Shane, restaurant manager was Kate, bar server Jo. All made us feel at home. View is spectacular. We're planning another stay!

Stayed June 2014
Dear 24Traveler,
Thanks for staying with us! Our restaurant team always wants our guest to feel like family when visiting the hotel. The panoramic views from the restaurant are also amazing you can see the Ashley River, Downtown, West Ashley and Folly Beach all from one location. We look forward to seeing you in the near future
Gilbert
Reviewed 14 June 2014

my daughter went to college in Charleston and now shes in the army. she and my new grandson came home for two weeks and she wanted to make a trip to charls.. so we looked around for a hotel. we wanted something nice, but not too expensive, we remembered a place we had stayed a couple of years ago while my daughter was still in school. so we made res. for two rooms. we were able to get adjoining rooms, which was nice. the rooms were clean and well maintain, except as my daughter later told me, the door on her side of the adjoining doors wouldn't shut. the staff was very friendly, and even though the hotel was booked because of a big wedding, and everyone seemed to be checking in at the same time as we were, the front desk staff handled it all calmly and professionally. the hotel offers a shuttle service to downtown, which if you haven' driven downtown charls., you really might want to take advantage of. theres a restaurant at the top of the hotel with good food at reasonable rates, and amazing views. the one big con I would have is that they don't have a complimentary breakfast, that's a pro that travelers, especially with kids, appreciate. overall, a good exper.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Jeremy M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Riverview, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Ronald W.,
Congratulations on your daughter graduating from the College of Charleston; moreover, we are very appreciative of her service in the Armed Forces. The entire staff thanks you for being a repeat customer! As you mentioned the restaurant offers fantastic panoramic views of the Ashley River, Downtown and West Ashley. We look forward to seeing you and your family in the future.
Charleston
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

I had the pleasure of staying at the the Holiday Inn River View for 7 nights during my relocation to Charleston. This was actually my second stay with them. I stayed over Memorial Day weekend and enjoyed it so much that this was the only hotel I considered during my relocation. The hotel staff in general did a great job of welcoming me "home" all week and helped me make the most of my time in the wonderful city of Charleston. The front desk staff, specifically Marybeth and Kelli, always had multiple suggestions about great places to eat and go see. They took the time to get to know me and catered their suggestions to my taste. There is also a free shuttle that goes to the heart of downtown which is a great added bonus to staying here. The restaurant on the top floor has breathtaking views of the bay which was a really great way to start my day off with some delicious pancakes and end my night with a cocktail, all while taking in the 360 degree view of waterways. The room itself was comfortable with everything I needed to stay here comfortably for 7 nights. It was clean and had plenty of pillows and clean towels. Each room has a great view due to the shape of the building. Overall I would highly recommend the Holiday Inn River View.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Preingow
Jeremy M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Riverview, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Preingow,
Thank you so much for your wonder comments and glowing remarks about our hotel! I will absolutely share your comments with the entire staff. Marybeth and Kelli are a great example of Southern Hospitality shared by the entire Holiday Inn team. Moreover, thanks for “highly recommending” the Holiday Inn Riverview to friends, family and co-workers we look forward to seeing you in the future.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Both of our rooms had the most awful odor of cigarette smoke. We asked to switch rooms but were told there weren't any available. Someone came to spray air freshener, which only lasted a few minutes. We complained again, and the maintenance guy brought up an "o-zone machine" which only made the room smell worse. He apologized and said he knew the rooms smelled bad. While we were in the lobby, another lady was also complaining about the smell. This hotel is advertised as smoke free, there's is no way that's possible. The rooms smelled as if someone had been constantly smoking. We were paying $196 per night per room for a room that was AWFUL. I would not even make people pay $50 dollars a night for those rooms. We were offered a discounted rate of $119 because of the smoke smell, which in my opinion is still way too much. I have stayed in Holiday Inn's all across the country and have never had such a bad experience. Even my clothes started to smell like the rooms. I will not ever stay in that hotel again, and I will also be posting reviews about this hotel to warn other people of the AWFUL smell and expensive rates. For the price we paid, we expected a nice clean room.

Room Tip: Don't choose this hotel.