“All Around Great Hotel!”

Holiday Inn Charleston Riverview
Ranked #42 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My new husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Very clean hotel, great service in all areas, free shuttle service to downtown Charleston, and amazing view!! The round hotel and the restaurant on the top floor make for some breathtaking scenery.

Room Tip: Pick a room facing the Ashley River. You will love the view!!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Jeremy M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Riverview, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear DiaGirlNC,
On behalf of the entire hotel team congratulations on getting married and having your honeymoon at the Holiday Inn Riverview in Charleston, SC. We hope to see you each and every year when you celebrate your anniversary!

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Charleston Riverview

Reviewed 28 June 2014

We had traveled from the SC Upstate to visit family on the coast for the day last week and used points to stay here.. We figured "what the heck, it's just one night". As frequent visitors to Charleston we had passed this place often and knew it was old. Upon checking in we were politely greeted and given a discount coupon for a meal at the rooftop restaurant . We were planning on going into town to one of your favorite eateries but being tired decided to try the dinner menu here. The food was excellent and the service was wonderful. We sat by the window and watched the lights come on in town. Shrimp and grits for my wife and granddaughter, crab stuffed flounder for me. My grandson had the chicken tenders and fries which was free. After dinner the manager came by and gave him an ice cream for dessert. Nothing fantastic but everyone acted like they cared.
Our room was small (but free) with two double beds and a small bathroom. The beds and linens were comfortable and clean.
There was a shuttle service to the historic district which we did not make use of and a small patio pool area as well.
We will keep this establishment in mind the next time we head towards Charleston for a day or so.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear ruvidu,
We are delighted that you gave us a try while visiting Charleston last week. More importantly, thanks for being a loyal IHG Rewards member and using your points while staying with us. Our roof top restaurant provides amazing food, customer service and panoramic views of the surrounding area. Children under the age of 12 eat for free every day and the leadership team enjoys putting a smile on their faces with free ice cream. Thanks for keeping us in mind when traveling to Charleston in the future.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

When I walked inside the hotel there was this dapper young man that yelled out Hellllloooooo!!!! I thought that it was a joke, but when he smiled at me and asked me was I checking in I know I was at the wrong place. See, I booked a stay at the Holiday Inn Express. And after 3 mins of talking to Demere. My reservation changed. I canceled my reservation at the Holiday Inn Express simply because this Demere fellow made me feel so "At Home"
He was kind, polite, professional, helpful, and he is one handsome man to look at. His attention was on me the entire time. He put me in a skyline view king and that view was unforgettable. My stay was great, my room was clean, everyone was southern friendly, my rate was awesome, the front desk was absolutely home welcoming. I'm thinking about selling my home in Rhode Island and coming back to SC very soon. My get away from home in Providence, RI was everything that I could ask for.
Thank you so much Demere and all the staff there at The Holiday Inn Riverview for making a 67 YR old woman feel loved again.
-Ms. Smith

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank janiepooh765

Dear janiepooh765,
Our front desk team is always ready to help and make every guest feel like they are “home.” Demere is a glowing example of “Southern Hospitality” that our team takes pride in. We all are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

The Holiday Inn Riverview is the perfect hotel for travelers. First, the negatives. The rooms are a bit on the pricey side, and there is no hot tub or coffee in the lobby 24/7. The positives far outweigh the negatives. Free shuttle to downtown Charleston, very good breakfast buffet, great location, and a magnificent view of the harbor and city. There is an ample fitness room near the third floor outdoor pool.

Josh at the front desk was extremely helpful and informative. Front desk staff were all welcoming. The hostess in the restaurant at breakfast was not pleasant and acted rather put out. She never smiled at us once.

Room Tip: Stay on ninth floor or above on the harbor side.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Slycougar

Dear Slycougar,
Thank you so much for staying with us recently! We offer free coffee in lobby every morning from 7:00 am until 11:30 am each and every day. After that our restaurant has freshly brewed coffee from 11:30 am until 11:00 pm. Our free shuttle is a wonder way to travel to downtown without paying for parking or fighting one-way streets. I will absolutely give Josh a “pat on the back” for the customer service we known for, thanks again!

Reviewed 25 June 2014

For my first trip to Charleston SC, i found this hotel to be the perfect place. From the time of my arrival, and throughout my visit, 2 very helpful members of the staff made me feel comfortable and special as they guided me and my friends through a great experience of the southern hospitality of the Charleston area.THE DESK SERVICES OF DEMERE AND LIZ WAS PERFECT. They aided me with great suggestions on eating, answered all questions professionally, and when asked for a cab, supplied me with a car service above all others, as my driver was well dressed, drove a black suv very clean, and priced the same as a taxi . I used this service throughout my stay, which helped me to impress my friends. Upon my checkout, the same service was provided to me for airport transportation. Great Job Holiday inn Riverview ! Impressive and friendly staff, and the perfect car service choice for your patrons. Special thanks to Demere and liz, you all are the best ever.

Room Tip: take advise from the staff, very helpfull
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
frontdeskmanager843, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Riverview, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear Amish J,
The Holiday Inn Charleston Riverview is the "Perfect Place" centrally located on Hwy 17 just moments from the Historic District and the beautiful beaches! Thank you so much for your feedback regarding my staff, especially Liz and Demere! Each of my staff members are very personable and take pride in make sure each guest receives the best experience full of Southern Hospitality! Our Complimentary Hotel Shuttle runs every 2 hours from 7:30am until 9:30pm however; when utilizing a Taxi Service outside of our shuttle schedule, Port City Car Service is the way to go! Thank you so much for staying with us and Liz, Demere and I hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 24 June 2014

I found this hotel to be quite nice as far as the rooms go. Clean, comfortable, and fresh. All the linens were fresh. Wifi was actually quite fast compared to other hotels I have stayed in recently. Bathroom was well appointed. Looks like this hotel has been redone in the past few years and it shows.

But - the restaurant - leaves a LOT to be desired. The following is my review from eating dinner there (which is also posted on Yelp):

The view is amazing, and it's convenient for Holiday Inn guests....but the food????

I'm pretty sure they are using the same food service as a diner I frequent back in Jersey. Let's start with the rolls - diamond shaped rolls which are supposed to be warmed. When warmed properly - the slightly sweet glaze on top adds flavor. These were barely warmed - leaving an ugly sticky pasty bumpy half glaze. Those rolls I've seen at my local diner in Jersey too. Exactly the same.

I ordered the Salmon with Teriyaki ginger sauce. Comes with salad so I opted for Caesar.

Caesar salad - about on par with an average caesar salad at any chain. Not great but not bad.

The salmon - grilled - but overcooked and dried out. But hey - a teriyaki sauce might help re-moisten it. Nope, not a chance. No teriyaki sauce was gonna help this. The teriyaki sauce was in a little cup on the side -not even over it at all. And - it was a salty teriyaki - very little sweet or ginger - and THIN. Like water thin. A nice thick glaze with some sweet would have helped a little. Nope, not a chance.

The veggies with the salmon? A carrot/broccoli/cauliflower mix. Overcooked too - broc was dark olive green - not bright green, carrots were mushy, and I don't like cauliflower. Get some fresh broc and steam and drizzle a little garlic butter glaze folks - it would have been a big improvement. This seemed like it would have been from a frozen bag and overdone.

Mashed potatoes. Parts hot, parts cold, I don't think they were freshly made but I could be wrong.

Service - was just fine. Greeter, server - courteous and pleasant and helpful.

Folks - if you're staying at the Holiday Inn - don't bother. Go have a drink in the lounge to soak in the view. For dinner - you could do better elsewhere. You see these other reviews on Yelp? That are bad? Please believe them. It's not good. Which is really a shame, because honestly - if it was GOOD - they'd attract way more than hotel guests and have a nice little gem here.

I also had the breakfast buffet. It's hard to mess that up. It was fine. Eggs good, toast fine, bacon good. But why even charge for a breakfast buffet when so many mid-range hotels provide it for free?

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Robert U

Dear Robert U,
I want to take the time to sincerely thank you for your detailed feedback. Our Housekeeping & Maintenance staff work extremely hard to keep our 178 room property "Up to Date & Fresh". We take great pride in our guests' appreciation of that. Each room is prepared daily with the Holiday Inn Brand Bedding Collection & our Bath & Body Works amenity collection. Our Harbor View Restaurant atop the hotel provides spectacular, panoramic views of the Ashley River. We have recently added a new Food & Beverage Director, a Charleston Native with 10+ years of Lowcountry Culinary experience. We apologize that during this transitional period we failed to meet your expectations. We are currently revamping our Food & Beverage selections and our Director has a great action plan in place for improvement. Your feedback is much appreciated and has helped identify opportunities for improvement within our restaurant. I do hope you will consider giving us a second chance upon your next visit to Charleston as our TEAM is excited for the changes ahead! Thank you again for your feedback!

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Holiday Inn Riverview in Charleston Sc, is the place to be if you want to feel like you matter and be treated royally. The staff at HI Riverview is Wonderful, they tend to your every need. The Hotel is clean, nice rooms, comfortable beds, and the view is Amazing.
Minutes away from downtown Charleston too!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Dawn H
Jeremy M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charleston Riverview, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Dawn H,
You are our guest and we want you to feel like royalty, as you should be! Thanks for staying with us we look forward to seeing you in the future.