Holiday Inn Charleston Riverview
Charleston Marriott(Charleston)
  • Pool
Wentworth Mansion(Charleston)
1,124 results
All reviewstop floorfree shuttlegreat view of the riverashley riverrooftop restaurantshuttle servicebreakfast buffet isdowntown areahistoric districtan older hotelfolly beachthe hotel offersfront desk staffshort driveaaronmuscmarsh
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 August 2007

My b/f and I just returned from a 5 night stay. When I knew we were going to Charleston, I excitedly started looking into the info about some of the downtown hotels in the French Quarter, where I wanted to stay. However, my b/f was planning this trip as he was taking me on vacation and, being as efficient as he is, he went ahead and booked this hotel without ever consulting me. I was disappointed at first, but figured, hey, a free trip, I'll just go with it.

I was very pleasantly surprised. At first I thought it would be too far from downtown, which is not the case. We drove there in about 15 minutes and also took the hotel shuttle a few times. Very convenient, leaves the hotel every 2 hours from 9:30 A.M. until 9:30 P.M. The shuttle stops at 4 different stops in the downtown area so nothing is out of reach. The drivers are extremely helpful and very cordial.

Our room was beautiful and very clean and well maintained by the housekeeping staff. We had a room on the 14th floor (I would highly recommend a top floor for the view, gorgeous!) that overlooked the Ashley River and the downtown Charleston area. You must request this view or you may be overlooking a neighboring restaurant's parking lot. We had a king size bed and I thought the room was quite spacious for our needs. We enjoyed swimming in their outdoor heated pool which is located on a 3rd floor deck with a river view, lovely, especially at night. They also have a small exercise room with a treadmill and exercise bike, although we didn't utilize it.

The hotel restaurant, The Harbor View, serves both breakfast and lunch buffets daily as well as full menu service. We had both of these buffets and were very pleased with the quality of the food. There was a surprisingly large variety of delicious foods for just $8.95 for each buffet. For dinner they have only menu service, no buffet, but again, the food was delicious, better than most hotel restaurants I've patronized and reasonably priced. The High Spirits Lounge is adjacent and both are located on the roof level with great views of the river and downtown areas. We did not visit the lounge (we brought our own booze) but understand they have entertainment on the weekends.

They offer free wireless Internet throughout the hotel as well as in the rooms and have a few computers/printers in the lobby. They have a brochure rack in the lobby, but no gift or sundries shop, which I found rather unusual. We did not use room service, but did call the front desk a few times to have items brought up to the room ( a razor, creamers, a spoon). They arrived within minutes with a smile. A paper is delivered outside your door every morning and express checkout is available.

The only downsides I encountered were that the balcony doors are permanently sealed shut. I usually enjoy sitting on the balcony and enjoying a few cocktails in the evening but was unable to do so here. The other factor is that you cannot safely walk anywhere from this location (a factor if you enjoy walking), but the shuttle is a great solution to getting downtown.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here and would recommend it to travelers who like to get away from the hustle and bustle of downtown. A great, economical Charleston area hotel.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Beth R
Reviewed 20 August 2007

My recent stay at the Holiday Inn Charleston-Riverview was truly exceptional. A special thanks to the staff, especially Ms. Bryant (front desk) who went above and beyond to accommodate my request for a room change. When making my reservations, I had requested a view of the West Ashley/Charleston skyline; however, the initial room assigned had more of a “marsh” view. Kudos! to Ms. Bryant for being so friendly and helpful.

I will definitely return to this hotel for future visits and would highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to the Charleston area.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pmauldi
Reviewed 13 August 2007

My Best Friend and I went to Charleston to celebrate My Birthday. One of my all time favorite cities. The Hotel was very nice, and a great view of the Harbor and the River. Downtown was very easy to access. The Staff was very friendly, and the service was very good. HOWEVER ,,,OMG,,,,,the French Toast was WONDERFUL, stuffed with cream cheese,,,it was sinful,,and every meal we ate in the Hotel was very good, and I come from Louisiana where we are food snobs,,,that french toast was jammin.
The only reason that the hotel did not rate an excellent was the plumbing issues, but perhaps when you are on the 9 floor it may be normal,,but no big deal,,,,loved it and would go back again...

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 June 2007

We made same-day reservations and were pleasantly surprised by the hotel. It is in a weird location between the approach to two traffic bridges crossing the river, but it turned out to be quiet, with spectacular views in all directions. It is sort of different staying in a round hotel, but it's not that noticeable on the inside. The top-level restaurant had the best views and they serve a good breakfast, which was not included in our rate (although there is a Waffle House just behind the hotel). We especially appreciated the free shuttle service that runs on a half-hour basis to 4 points in town. For the rate we got ($125/night, which I think is a bargain in this area), we were pleased and would consider it again if ever in Charleston.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 May 2007

Stayed here on business. Never stayed at a round hotel before, so that was pretty neat. Pretty far from downtown Charleston but they do run a shuttle to downtown several times a day, which is nice. The room was average, clean, comfortable. Looked out onto the dumpster in the foreground, highway in the midground, and the Ashley River in the background, so I was conflicted! Paid breakfast was pretty good, nothing fancy. View from the restaurant is spectacular! Free wireless is nice!

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled on business