“Truly a disgusting place to stay”

Holiday Inn Charleston Riverview
Ranked #43 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Columbia, SC
“Truly a disgusting place to stay”
Reviewed 10 September 2007

If you have nowhere else to stay, I would suggest this place. The hotel is in need of a desperate upgrade inside and out. When we opened our door to leave the room on the first morning, a flying cockroach was there to greet us and no wonder b/c the room service dinner trays from the night before had yet to be removed from doors up and down the hall. Maid service arrived extremely late and didnt do much of a job as far as cleaning was concerned. We sat in the lobby that night waiting for the rest of our group for dinner outside of the flying roach motel. I sat and watched a couple check in...five minutes later, they were back. The room was fility. They said there were dirty towels, filthy bed and it was used and gross. They were assigned another room...they send te bellhop up with clean towels and he changed towels, made the beds (he didnt take clean sheets with him or a vacuum), came back downstairs in ten minutes and said the room was good to go. Five minutes later, they sold that room to a poor couple and bragged that it was their last room available. How filthy! The upside of this place is the staff but overall I wouldnt stay there again if you paid me. Thank goodness I took my own blankets and pillows. Never again!

• Liked — front desk
  • Disliked — everything besides front desk staff
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
South Normanton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2007

The hotel has seen better days, but its worth the stay if only for the view of Charleston from the rooftop restaurant and bar. Rooms were comfortable and clean but some of the interior decor was a bit jaded and they need some new carpets. Food was good at breakfast and dinner, not haute cuisine but acceptable and a reasonable choice, the staff were lovely. Although the hotel is out of town, they do offer a courtesy bus at regular intervals to and from town. Unfortunately we couldn't use the pool as they were having the first tropical storm of the season.

• Liked — View from the restaurant
  • Disliked — Remote location, nothing around it
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with family
Easley, SC
Reviewed 28 August 2007

Hotel has great location. Turn left out of parking lot takes you straight to Folly Beach. Turn right and it takes you to downtown Charleston. Both are a very short distance. Good view if you request view of the river. Unfortunately we had a crummy view because they were so booked. Friendly staff. Shuttle service! Not bad if you get a good price. If you visit, we recommend taking one of the ghost tours!

• Liked — location and shuttle service
  • Disliked — bad view and poor pool
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank shanvaughn
Woodbridge, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 25 August 2007

My b/f and I just returned from a 5 night stay. When I knew we were going to Charleston, I excitedly started looking into the info about some of the downtown hotels in the French Quarter, where I wanted to stay. However, my b/f was planning this trip as he was taking me on vacation and, being as efficient as he is, he went ahead and booked this hotel without ever consulting me. I was disappointed at first, but figured, hey, a free trip, I'll just go with it.

I was very pleasantly surprised. At first I thought it would be too far from downtown, which is not the case. We drove there in about 15 minutes and also took the hotel shuttle a few times. Very convenient, leaves the hotel every 2 hours from 9:30 A.M. until 9:30 P.M. The shuttle stops at 4 different stops in the downtown area so nothing is out of reach. The drivers are extremely helpful and very cordial.

Our room was beautiful and very clean and well maintained by the housekeeping staff. We had a room on the 14th floor (I would highly recommend a top floor for the view, gorgeous!) that overlooked the Ashley River and the downtown Charleston area. You must request this view or you may be overlooking a neighboring restaurant's parking lot. We had a king size bed and I thought the room was quite spacious for our needs. We enjoyed swimming in their outdoor heated pool which is located on a 3rd floor deck with a river view, lovely, especially at night. They also have a small exercise room with a treadmill and exercise bike, although we didn't utilize it.

The hotel restaurant, The Harbor View, serves both breakfast and lunch buffets daily as well as full menu service. We had both of these buffets and were very pleased with the quality of the food. There was a surprisingly large variety of delicious foods for just $8.95 for each buffet. For dinner they have only menu service, no buffet, but again, the food was delicious, better than most hotel restaurants I've patronized and reasonably priced. The High Spirits Lounge is adjacent and both are located on the roof level with great views of the river and downtown areas. We did not visit the lounge (we brought our own booze) but understand they have entertainment on the weekends.

They offer free wireless Internet throughout the hotel as well as in the rooms and have a few computers/printers in the lobby. They have a brochure rack in the lobby, but no gift or sundries shop, which I found rather unusual. We did not use room service, but did call the front desk a few times to have items brought up to the room ( a razor, creamers, a spoon). They arrived within minutes with a smile. A paper is delivered outside your door every morning and express checkout is available.

The only downsides I encountered were that the balcony doors are permanently sealed shut. I usually enjoy sitting on the balcony and enjoying a few cocktails in the evening but was unable to do so here. The other factor is that you cannot safely walk anywhere from this location (a factor if you enjoy walking), but the shuttle is a great solution to getting downtown.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here and would recommend it to travelers who like to get away from the hustle and bustle of downtown. A great, economical Charleston area hotel.

• Liked — clean, spacious room, great view
  • Disliked — sealed balcony door
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Beth R
North Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 20 August 2007

My recent stay at the Holiday Inn Charleston-Riverview was truly exceptional. A special thanks to the staff, especially Ms. Bryant (front desk) who went above and beyond to accommodate my request for a room change. When making my reservations, I had requested a view of the West Ashley/Charleston skyline; however, the initial room assigned had more of a “marsh” view. Kudos! to Ms. Bryant for being so friendly and helpful.

I will definitely return to this hotel for future visits and would highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to the Charleston area.

• Liked — View of the West Ashley/Charleston skyline
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pmauldi
Baton Rouge
Reviewed 13 August 2007

My Best Friend and I went to Charleston to celebrate My Birthday. One of my all time favorite cities. The Hotel was very nice, and a great view of the Harbor and the River. Downtown was very easy to access. The Staff was very friendly, and the service was very good. HOWEVER ,,,OMG,,,,,the French Toast was WONDERFUL, stuffed with cream cheese,,,it was sinful,,and every meal we ate in the Hotel was very good, and I come from Louisiana where we are food snobs,,,that french toast was jammin.
The only reason that the hotel did not rate an excellent was the plumbing issues, but perhaps when you are on the 9 floor it may be normal,,but no big deal,,,,loved it and would go back again...

• Liked — The View
  • Disliked — The fact that I could not access the balcony, but I understand for safety reasons
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with friends
El Dorado Hills, CA, USA
Reviewed 2 June 2007

We made same-day reservations and were pleasantly surprised by the hotel. It is in a weird location between the approach to two traffic bridges crossing the river, but it turned out to be quiet, with spectacular views in all directions. It is sort of different staying in a round hotel, but it's not that noticeable on the inside. The top-level restaurant had the best views and they serve a good breakfast, which was not included in our rate (although there is a Waffle House just behind the hotel). We especially appreciated the free shuttle service that runs on a half-hour basis to 4 points in town. For the rate we got ($125/night, which I think is a bargain in this area), we were pleased and would consider it again if ever in Charleston.

• Liked — Free shuttle service, views
  • Disliked — Cannot easily walk to any shops
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple