“Very pleasant experience”

Charleston Marriott
Ranked #35 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 21 June 2013

We stayed here the first weekend of June 2013. The staff was polite, the concierge perhaps the best we have met and everything was just right. The hotel's terrace bar Aqua is also nice. They play nice music. The hotel is relatively tall and the view from the rooms is good if you get the Harbor facing side.

The hotel location is about a 5-7 minute drive to the historic district. Not bad but I think for the same price you can get a historic B&B experience in the old quarters. I would recommend that if you can book in advance as these places get sold out fast.

Overall a great experience and no complains whatsoever.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
progersCharlestonSC, General Manager at Charleston Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2013

Great to hear your stay was excellent and service was fantastic. We pride ourselves on being excellent at customer service, so great to hear we met expectations. I would also tell you that we understand we are 5 minutes from historic district and so we price ourselves below those hotels because of the location...but we also have free parking and a wonderful pool deck that none of the historic hotels have...Thank you

There are newer reviews for Charleston Marriott

Reviewed 16 June 2013 via mobile

My husband and stayed here for our anniversary trip and booked it last minute due to our other hotel that we orginally booked was too far away from downtown Charleston.This was just literally a two minute drive from downtown and near the water. We got a room quickly and without annoying hassels that happen when you book at the last minute. No problems parking, had a valet who the minute we drove up opened my car door and greeted my husband I with a smile along with offering to help in any way!The staff was friendly and professional and the room was clean and comfortable! We plan to return next year for our next anniversary. Overall, excellent!

• Stayed: June 2013
progersCharlestonSC, General Manager at Charleston Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2013

Thank you for the comments and Happy Anniversary...I enjoy hearing about staff exceeding expectations on service and will pass on your comments about our valet/bell service to our Front Office Manager...Thank you very much and look forward to having you back next June for your anniversary!

Reviewed 15 June 2013

Every staff member we encountered at this hotel during our weekend stay was extremely friendly, positive, and helpful. Our request for a top floor quiet room was easily granted. The girl checking us in was super helpful with restaurant tips and even had a surprise tray of champaigne and chocolate covered fruit sent up to our room with a card congratulating us on our anniversary! They even remembered how many years I had said we were married when we checked in. Our king sized bed was the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever slept in. The shuttle to Waterfront park was so convenient and always on time. The pool looked amazing but we didn't have time during our stay to make use of it. We had the breakfast buffet Sunday morning and it was to die for. Omelets made to order, a ton of hot southern dishes ready and waiting, and a delicious assortment of fresh fruits including cherries. I would highly recommend this hotel and will definitely stay again next time we go to Charleston.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
progersCharlestonSC, General Manager at Charleston Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2013

Fantastic!!!...We strive to be an excellent service hotel and your comments are exactly what I hope all our customers experience. Thank you very much for sharing your experience and Happy Anniversary!!!! Have a great summer...

Reviewed 8 June 2013

I posted a review of this hotel on Jan 13, 2013 regarding a stay in May 2012. Fortunately, there have been improvements in the quality of food in the Concierge lounge and there were no incidents of dirty dishes left outside of my room when I checked in. However, to assure that my stay would go as planned I contacted the front desk manager Jerry Allen two weeks prior to my arrival. I explained the issues from my last visit and how I wanted this visit to be an improvement. Due to my Platinum Status he guaranteed that I would receive the upgrade to a balcony room facing the baseball stadium and the Ashley River. However, upon checking in May 24 there was no information on my account regarding this conversation and I was booked to a standard room. Thankfully, Rachel, the manager on duty, was able to get me a balcony room facing the Marina for the night and was able to move me to the balcony room I requested the next day. Also, when I returned on May 30 I was booked to a balcony room facing the stadium as requested. I received a corner room which had a more spacious balcony. The only negatives were the mold on the caulking in the shower (see photo) and the toilet didn't flush well unless you held down the handle. This is the same room I stayed in last year that had toilet issues. I brought this to the attention of the staff at that time. 1 year later and room 1424 has the same issue. Also, when I went to the concierge lounge for a snack upon my return I couldn't get back in the room. The battery on the key swipe died and had to be replaced. Overall, I like the location and the convenience offered by the shuttle to downtown and the car service that can be scheduled for a night on the town. I spoke with Jerry Allen on May 31 and he assured me that upon my next trip everything would go more smoothly. I'm looking forward to my next visit to Charleston possibly in September and hope those few remaining issues will be resolved.

Room Tip: Get a balcony room on the side facing the baseball stadium and the Ashley River. Preferably rooms 14...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
progersCharlestonSC, General Manager at Charleston Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2013

Thank you for your feedback about your visit and your loyalty to Marriott as a Platinum Rewards member. I can assure you, we strive to be an excellent service hotel and Mr Allen (our Front Office Manager) is one of the best. Thank you for the detailed comments and I apologize for the oversight about your recent visit and the room request. We appreciate your patronage at our hotel and look forward to seeing you in September...Thank you

Reviewed 7 June 2013

Our son got married June 2 and while we didn't have the wedding at the Charleston Marriott, the entire party stayed there. And we could not have chosen a better venue.

Brittany Wright checked us in and made certain that we were accommodated in a room that included an adjoining room for entertaining friends and family. We had not ask for such an accommodation (frankly, we'd never thought of it) but Brittany understood the occasion and that we would most likely need such a room.

The entire staff at the hotel could not have been more customer friendly, a fact commented on by our entourage. Prompt, helpful, friendly: exceeded all expectations.

1  Thank kigbuzzard
progersCharlestonSC, General Manager at Charleston Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2013

Thank you very much for sharing your experience and the feedback about our services & Brittany. We work hard to provide great customer service and its always great to hear the positive news about our efforts...thank you very much and I will share your experience with Brittany!

Reviewed 3 June 2013

I didn't fill out my room service page correctly, but Nikita made three trips anyway to get me exactly what i wanted. He did it with a real smile. I am picky, but that didn't phase him. The kitchen staff did exactly what i wanted too.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank mitzie1119
progersCharlestonSC, General Manager at Charleston Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about service from our staff member - Nik. He does an excellent job for us and I will be sure to pass on your comments. Thank you very much and hope to see you again.

Reviewed 30 May 2013

Stayed here four nights and had two rooms over the Memorial Day holiday. The entire staff was very friendly during the entire stay. The front desk clerk, I believe her name was Mara, that checked us in was very friendly and helpful being our first time to Charleston. The hotel is located downtown along the bay next to the baseball stadium. It is a very short drive to most points of interest in the historic district...there is plenty of parking places around the city as we preferred driving ourselves around instead of taking the shuttle. We had the breakfast buffet most mornings which was good and had plenty of choices. The serving staff was very friendly. The rooftop bar was great for a drink after a long day or a nightcap. The rooms were clean and comfortable. I found that some of the things that other reviewers complained about not to be so. I would stay here again the next time I go to Charleston.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 68ScottG
progersCharlestonSC, General Manager at Charleston Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2013

I am happy to hear you enjoyed your first visit to Charleston and our hotel. I appreciate the kind words about our service and will pass on to Marra in our Front Office. Have a wonderful summer and hope to see you again in the future...thank you!