“Great stay and wonderful staff”

Charleston Marriott
Ranked #37 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Summerville, South Carolina
“Great stay and wonderful staff”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed at this Marriott hotel over the Memorial day weekend. I must say, the hotel is very beautiful. The hotel has a nice rooftop bar with live music. The property also has a nice sized pool with several chaise loung chairs, tables with umbrellas and chairs and sitting areas. When we first arrived, we were greeted with a very warm and friendly staff. Throughout our stay, the staff was always very pleasant and helpful. The property also has a decent workout room but if you prefer the outdoors, they have a nice walk/run path across the street which overlooks the intercoastal waterway. My husband and I took a walk on the path which also takes you past the Citadel. The beds were very comfortable and room size was decent. We also ate at Saffire restaurant for the breakfast buffet which was absolutely delicious.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sandkanderson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
Greenville, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Had a one night stay while visiting MUSC. Room was clean and comfortable. Bed was very comfortable with a lot of pillows. Bathroom is small but adequate. Public areas were nice and had a resort atmosphere. We arrived late but found the desk staff cheerful and attentive. On checkout, staff was very accommodating and allowed for a late check out due to some unforeseen delays on our part.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Lisa123489
United States
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Two months before our stay, I wrote to the general manager of the Charleston Marriott. I informed him that I have allergies and asthma and that I was concerned about some of the reviews the Charleston Marriott hotel had received on the internet. The GM had the Front Office manager (I am not using his name) reply with the following information: “Because of the changing climate and humid weather in Charleston, we may occasionally get a room reported that has a mildew smell. We immediate, place that room out of room. Then dispatch engineering to the room. The Charleston Marriott runs a high occupancy throughout the year. Therefore, the mildew complaints we receive are minimum.”

He offered to block a room for me that was clean and mildew free.

I also directly informed the Front Office Manager that I am allergic to air fresheners and perfume, so please instruct housekeeping not spray or use either one in my room. He assured me that my room would be prepared chemical free.

When we arrived at the hotel, we were told that the room set aside for us was being cleaned and was not ready for occupancy. I asked the front desk associate to please remind housekeeping NOT to use any perfume or scents while cleaning the room due to allergies & asthma.

Entering our room for the first time late that night, I was struck by a powerful fragrance and had an immediate and strong allergic reaction. All the preparation with the GM, Front Office Manager, and Front Desk staff had been ignored and useless. Upon calling the front desk, I was told they could spray a room deodorizer! I asked that they send up an ionizer or ozone machine to eliminate the smell instead.

Al in Engineering was sent to my room. I was sick, miserable and upset. Al was calm, kind, and knowledgeable. He unscrewed the return air unit cover in the room and removed an air freshener dispenser! He informed us that each room had air fresheners imbedded in the air vents! They were also in the hallway air vents! Al expertly and with great concern tried to resolve the problems. He removed the air freshener from our room and from the hallway. We left the room for an hour while he ran the ionizer. When we returned, I opened the glass door onto the balcony and aired the room. The room was acceptable for the remainder of the night and my allergic reactions subsided.

I discovered that the air unit filter in the room was saturated with the scent even though the dispenser had been removed. However, if I did not run the AC or the heat and only used the open balcony door for fresh air, the smell did not waft out and contaminate the room. As this made the room acceptable, we stayed and decided to use our short time to see the sights and enjoy the city instead of searching for and moving to a new hotel for the next 2 nights.

The front desk manager did nothing to assuage the situation. I sent an e-mail immediately upon entering the room informing him of the problem. He responded by e-mail the next morning: “I deeply apologize about your room. We had some challenges yesterday with 162 arrivals coming in before check-in time. “ Really? That is his excuse? He needs a refresher course on customer service. I went down to the lobby and asked for him. I reiterated our terrible experience. He looked at me blankly, and then asked if I wanted him to find me a new hotel? That was it. I told him that Al was going to run the ionizer again this morning and if I don’t turn on the air, heat, or bathroom fan, but leave the balcony door open, the perfume did not irritate my allergies or asthma.

No note card of apology was ever sent to the room or even a small gesture of apology such as a basket of fruit. The front desk manager never contacted us to see how our stay was progressing. I was extremely disappointed with his complete lack of attention and follow-through.

Upon check-out, there was not even a courtesy discount on our room rate. I complained and the young woman settling our bill accommodated.

My criticism of the hotel involves the lack of attention to my allergy information and in particular, to the poor customer service I received from upper management.

(I did write the GM complimenting Al. Al was the only one that took my allergy and asthma health issues seriously with follow-up and a concerned attitude.)

Lesson learned: this Marriott hotel is not a place for allergy sufferers. Future room renovation will not solve the problem of installing air fresheners in the rooms and hallway air systems because of humid conditions in Charleston. Most importantly, customer care by management when a problem does occur is non-existent.

Room Tip: Top floor with a balcony.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
progersCharlestonSC, General Manager at Charleston Marriott, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Thank you for your honest feedback and my apologies for the poor follow-through on our part and the poor guestroom. We are a better hotel than what you experienced and I am sorry that we disappointed you in so many ways. We will be completing a full renovation of property this fall and property will have fresh, new look and feel. I hope you will give us another opportunity to earn your business in the future.
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Disappointed by the greeting from the front desk...we checked in and asked if they had us on the concierge level...the response was "no..there are lots of platinum members here this weekend"...not an appropriate response in my overall marriott experience...the breakfast...pool and upper deck are very nice !!! Location is very convenient !!! The bellman were so polite and professional !!!!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Jeffrey C
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Nice, modern hotel. Staff friendly. Stayed here due to ill family member in MUSC. This hotel gives hospital discounts, very nice to do. My room was very comfortable, love Marriott's choice of "bed" comfort! I had a suite, and there was NO bathtub, and I was hoping for one, but a nice shower was nice.
I'm sure you'll be happy with this hotel.

Room Tip: MUSC (hospital) discounts available. Free shuttle service also.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Hilton Head, South Carolina
Reviewed 23 May 2014

We recently stayed in this Marriott for three nights while I visited a local medical center. It was important to me that my wife feel safe while alone in the hotel for the first two evenings and was the primary reason for the selection.

The hotel provided free shuttle service to and from the medical center which made visiting a pleasure; sans the problems of parking.

The atrium is open and airy and quite pleasant. There is a restaurant and bar on the first floor as is a pool and outdoor seating area. I believe the restaurant serves food to the outdoor tables.

Our room was quite pleasant, airy, very clean with a refer and a big TV. The décor was pleasant with pictures and wallpaper. The beds were comfortable and the HVAC was responsive and easy to control.
If the occasion arises to stay in Charleston again, we will certainly choose this Marriott.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Nice public and conference facilities; pleasant courtyard area. Our room was fairly good, but the bathroom was on the tight side. Same for the room that we declined on the 9th floor because of dampness and excess perfume from a recent carpet cleaning. Those rooms should not have been used until they fully dried and aired out. The A/C was on the weak side and had to be set at 67 deg, or lower, to get decent results. Fortunately, we were able to open the balcony door to get outside fresh air into the room. All the staff was generous with their time and always quite helpful. The breakfasts were very good. The biggest issue is the location, as this property is a fair distance away from the downtown action. Taxis are available, but cost $8-12 each way, which could add up. If you have a car, like we did, you would have to find suitable parking in a crowded downtown area. The hotel shuttle cost $6 per person.

Room Tip: Try for a room on the 14th (top) floor to get a balcony. No balcony on the other floors.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business