“Good choice in Charleston”

Ranked #37 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Savannah, GA
“Good choice in Charleston”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

This maybe one of the better choices in Charleston. Large hotel. Had no problem checking in. Here are the Advantages: Perfect location if you are visiting the Citadel. Across from Marina. Very quiet. The staff was very helpful and friendly. One of the best hotel restaurants I have found. I am not kidding! The food at lunch and dinner in their restaurant was outstanding, and compared to local restaurants not very expensive. Maybe I just got lucky with my dishes, but I was very impressed by this hotel restaurant! Nice little bar too. Disadvantages: It is not waking distance to the historic district. Room carpet is dated, as someone else has mentioned. And there are only 2 elevators for most floors; probably too little. You could wait a few minutes for an elevator. But if you don't mind driving the 2-3 miles downtown (sure, you can walk, but there isn't really a user-friendly path), this is a very good choice. When my wife comes with me next time, this is where we will stay.

Room Tip: Get a room on a high floor. Nice view.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank MilitelloVC
HotelMngerGM, General Manager at Charleston Marriott, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
I was pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay at the Charleston Marriott. Thank you for sharing your experience about our hotel's restaurant, Saffire. We take pride in our service and a seasonal menu offering food of the highest quality. I will pass on your gracious comments to our Food & Beverage staff and let them know their efforts are not going unnoticed. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.

Charleston Marriott

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Lugoff, South Carolina
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I know this hotel has been in business for several years, but it's as if it's the first time they've ever had guests. Check-in is unbelievably slow! The worst I have ever encountered! I don't care how nice the rooms are I'll never stay in a Marriott brand again!

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Jhop13
progersCharlestonSC, General Manager at Charleston Marriott, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Our apologies for your disappointment in service and especially the check-in experience. Without more detail, I cannot specifically address the issue. I can assure you, we check in customers as soon as we have clean rooms available for customers. Occassionally during leisure travel season, we have guests arrive early and its can be difficult to get new customers into rooms until existing customers exit the rooms and we are able to clean.
I apologize for the inconveniences and hope you will consider staying a loyal Marriott Hotels customer!
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I had a wonderful stay for the 2014 Deleston/smalls family reunion. After reading multiple reviews I was a little nervous but the hotel was fantastic. At check-in I was greeted with a warm reception, given my keys, and additional information. The room was not the best I had been in but it was clean and nice in appearance. The fitness center was great and I enjoyed the german trails on the treadmill. The pool and hot tub was well maintained and I enjoyed that as well. The event staff could not have been more helpful during our reunion. They were there each step of the way and constantly reminded me to ask for anything. If we return to Charleston, SC for the family reunion in 2016 I will definitely be back here.

1 Thank Erica H
HotelMngerGM, General Manager at Charleston Marriott, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Thank you for your wonderful words regarding your stay at the Charleston Marriott. It was a pleasure to read that we were able to meet all of your expectations. I am so glad that you took the time to recognize how friendly our staff is - they work very hard to provide a memorable experience for all of our guests. We would definitely love to welcome you again for your next family reunion.

Louisville, United States
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We chose this hotel for a one night stay before embarking on a cruise. This hotel looks new in the pictures however our rooms were dated and dirty. The bedding appears to new however the carpet is old and our 3 rooms were not clean. Someone else's sock was left behind at the base of our bed which was a clear indication of poor housekeeping. The shower lacked scrubbing which resulted in my family using a towel as a liner inside of it.

My mother-in-law's room had very visible mold on the drapery liner with a moldy leak above the window. Clearly had been there for some time. The hotel did issue a credit but a little shocked this was not noticed nor taken care of sooner. The hotel lobby did appear very modern and well decorated however housekeeping was definitely lacking in our rooms and in the hallways as well. Our rooms were all located on the 7th floor next to stairway. (Rooms 75, 77 & 78)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
HotelMngerGM, General Manager at Charleston Marriott, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
On behalf of the entire Housekeeping team, please accept our sincere apologies for the cleanliness issues you had during your stay. Our housekeeping staff take great pride in what they do daily and we also have processes in place where our housekeeping leaders double check every room prior to it's occupancy by the next guest. We fell short in our processes and are reviewing them so that we do not have this issue again in the future.

Thank you again for bringing this to my attention and I do hope we are given the opportunity of redeeming ourselves by having you stay with us one more time and prove ourselves.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Stayed two nights in July. Room was not very clean, found hair in the sheets. Had the sheets changed, more hair left behind by housekeeping. After second sheet change, bed top sheet was made with a fitted bottom sheet withe the ends torn open.

Front desk addressed the issues ok, but this shows larger issues.

Hotel has seen better days and needs a renovation badly. Not up to Marriott standards.

Wish the management pay attention to the details!!

Off my list and makes Marriott in general questionable for the future.

D

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Dmreese1
HotelMngerGM, General Manager at Charleston Marriott, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
On behalf of the entire team of the Charleston Marriott, I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for our hotel not living up to your expectations. We do not take these cleanliness issues lightly...no excuses can be made for this! The cleanliness of our hotel top to bottom has to be priority #1. I will address this matter with the Head of our Housekeeping Department and housekeeping associates. I hope that you will consider giving us another opportunity to serve you in the future and we do hope to welcome you back again soon.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 20 July 2014

This Marriott is not located in the historical district and I found it a little out of the way for what we wanted to do in Charleston. It should be great for work, exploring other areas or if you were staying longer than two days in the area.

The hotel is a bit dated on the outside, but the interior was very nice and the room was modern and clean. No issues with the carpet as others have mentioned. The pool area looked inviting and well maintained, although we didn't have time to use it, again due to our short time in thecae and it's distance from the historical district.

I found the man at the front desk to be a bit curt, which is in my experience very unusual for Marriott.

Overall, we had a nice stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor overlooking a parking lot, but the room was quiet for the most part.
Green Features: Standard environmental practices, reusing sheets and towels, etc.
1 Thank Hallfamilytravels
Thank you for choosing the Charleston Marriott for your recent stay and for sharing your experience. I am pleased to hear that you loved our facilities and hope to have the pleasure of hosting you again in the near future.

Twinsburg, Ohio
Reviewed 19 July 2014

During four days celebrating our 41st Family Reunion at the Charleston Marriott, we were pampered, spoiled, and amazed at the service and warmth from the staff. Nearly everyone I passed in hallways, elevators and other places greeted me with a smile and hello. I was particularly impressed by Marcus Poinsett and Michael Young. It is my intention to share my impressions in our upcoming newsletter. Thanks to the staff at the Charleston Marriott, and in particular, Marcus and Michael,, the article will be extremely positive.

3 Thank SuccessisYou
HotelMngerGM, General Manager at Charleston Marriott, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your honest feedback regarding your recent stay at the Charleston Marriott. As the GM, your compliments were a pleasure to read and I was delighted to hear that you were thoroughly spoiled by our associates. Thank you for recognizing Marcus Poinsett and Michael Young and for your kind compliments. I will share your feedback at our next staff meeting for all to hear and ensure that their efforts do not go unnoticed. Thank you again and we look forward to welcome you back very soon.