“We had our convention here!”

Ranked #36 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Charlotte, NC
“We had our convention here!”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I didn't stay overnight at this hotel but I used almost all of their facilities because our convention was there for a week. It is a great hotel and I was bummed we didn't make reservations before they were all booked. The staff, restaurant, and outside facilities were great and we used them plenty for our luncheons and meetings. I love the little area they have next to the pool and there is a water way across the street that has a very nice pier to walk to. I would stay there if I came back to Charleston although I'm partial to Hilton hotels.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank OnAPermanentVacation
HotelMngerGM, General Manager at Charleston Marriott, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Thank you for your very kind review about our hotel. We work hard to be an excellent service hotel and it's always great to hear that it is making a difference. We have so much to offer to our guests at the hotel from our award-winning Saffire Restaurant featuring seasonally inspired menus of the highest quality food, to the Aqua Terrace Roof-Top Bar offering magnificent views and sunsets. Our location being minutes away from Downtown Charleston makes it a convenient location yet more of a peaceful experience away from the hustle and bustle downtown sometimes can be. I hope you will choose to stay with us the next time you are in this area.

Sincerely
Patrick Rogers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Miami
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Please be aware that check in is 4:00pm. We happen to be there during a regional meeting or small convention and one of the elevators was out of service, needless to say getting to our room was difficult. The lobby had been updated but the rooms are old and dated.
I would recommend a high floor room with a view of the bay.
The bathroom was dirty and needs to be updated.

The pool area is nice. The hotel is not even close to all the main attractions.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Orthodontics
HotelMngerGM, General Manager at Charleston Marriott, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you for staying at the Charleston Marriott and for sharing your comments online. I appreciate your candid feedback about your accommodations. We have completed our planning stage and will start the "refurbishment" project in 2014 including hotel rooms, lobby, restaurant and meeting facilities. I would love to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Marriott, and experience the new look and feel of the Marriott. Please contact my office with your future stay dates and I will see to your reservations personally and hope to regain your confidence. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Oklahoma
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I recently stayed three nights while attending a convention held in this hotel. I arrived in early evening, weary after long travel, and was sent to my second floor king room that I had reserved months earlier. As soon as I opened the door, I was hit with the strong scent of cologne/perfume, then noticed a few dirty glasses on the bathroom counter, and that the bed linens were rumpled -- it was just a little suspicious as to what might have occurred after the room was cleaned that morning. I called the front desk and was told that they had no other king rooms available, so I had the choice of waiting for this room to be cleaned or move to a double. I was creeped out by the first room, plus I was exhausted, so I had to accept the double room, much to my disappointment. I also had a pretty awful view of a rooftop of air conditioners and puddles and gravel.

The hotel is pretty for a hotel in this class and the convention facilities are great -- many rooms of lots of sizes that were perfect for the convention I attended. The hotel was sold out so using the two tiny elevators was a nightmare. This hotel needs several more elevators! I was only on the second floor, but I never could figure out where the stairs were.

The hotel staff was very courteous and very helpful with questions about local attractions. They run a complimentary shuttle every half-hour to the nearby historical district, which I was very grateful for. There's a great patio area off the main lobby with comfortable shaded seating that was very pleasant once the temperatures began to cool later in the evening.

The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was adequate, except that the door would not open wider than about 45-50 degrees. There was actually a stop on the floor to keep it from opening a full 90 degrees, which was inexplicable. This made it crowded to get in the door and on the toilet. Very poor design.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank lms68
HotelMngerGM, General Manager at Charleston Marriott, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Thank you for staying at Charleston Marriott and for posting your experience. I am pleased to read you enjoyed your overall stay with us. I will certainly share your observations and use it as a training tool with my management team to apply corrective actions. We do hope to have another opportunity of welcoming you back soon.

Sarasota, Fl.
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This hotel is located in downtown Charleston, although it is not a easy walk anyplace. We had a car, so we did not have to rely on walking or taking the shuttle, but taking the shuttle is probably best as parking can be difficult in downtown. The hotel is old, and shows that it is worn. The rooms were also warn and the closets and bathrooms were rusty. It didn't help that it rained all weekend, keeping the "prettier" décor outside (cushions for the couches and chairs, etc...) either up, or if they were there they were soaking wet. The pool area is ok, pretty basic. Again, might have been prettier if it was not raining. I ate in the restaurant (Saffire) for breakfast and dinner, and both times it was good. I had drinks one evening on the "rooftop bar" (off the 3rd floor) and there were a ton of people out there, and only one person working the bar. This really resulted in horrible customer service b/c the gentleman could not keep up with everyone. When I tried to pay my bill, I literally stood at the bar for over 15 minutes trying to get his attention. The concierge lounge was excellent and provided a nice "evening snack" and breakfast.
All in all I would probably look at the neighboring Courtyard next time which looks newer and more updated, or even the Residence Inn or SpringHill on the other side of the Ashley River to compare pricing, but if the Marriott is less expensive then it could still be a good value.

Room Tip: Go for the Concierge Lounge level.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank AXO1010
Thank you for your recent stay at the Charleston Marriott and your comments regarding your stay. Please accept my sincerest apologies for letting you down. I can assure you that I have brought your concerns to my teams attention and we have adjusted our methods so that we can continue to improve and strive towards providing great service every stay. We hope to welcome you back soon.

toronto
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Everything you need. Clean ,great staff ,great location, free parking available, pool, close to downtown. The beds were extremely comfortable, showers worked well. Front desk were very helpful in recommendations and check-in, check-out was extremely efficient. Definitely would stay there again. Charleston is a must to visit.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank paulsuzg
HotelMngerGM, General Manager at Charleston Marriott, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Thank you for your wonderful words regarding your stay at the Charleston Marriott - near downtown. It was a pleasure to read that we were able to meet all of your expectations, and I will share with my staff of the wonderful job they did. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Charleston Marriott.

Lewisville, Texas
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We were here for a family reunion and this hotel did not disappoint. You entered into a nice lobby, with a water feature, attentive staff, clean rooms, restaurant staff nice, food was good, nice outdoor area to sit, relax, chat and play cards. The banquet rooms were perfect and the food was very good. Despite the intermittent rain, we had a good time and would return.

Room Tip: non smoking hotel,
Green Features: only disappointment for the environmentally conscious person is that they do not recycle.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank 1701Sidd
Thank you for choosing the Charleston Marriott for your recent stay and for sharing your experience. I am pleased to hear that you loved our facilities and noticed how helpful our staff is. We hope to have the pleasure of hosting you again in the near future.

New Jersey
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

We arrived at the hotel earlier then expected so we had to wait for a room. The front desk staff especially Andrew tried very hard to get a room ready for us ( as we were tired after a long drive). I love the location. It has free parking and is a quick shuttle ride to the market and downtown area. This was great since I had to take the car to work but my family could either enjoy the pool,walk to marina or go downtown. You are also close to the bridge to go to the beaches.
We totally loved the service and food in the concierge lounge. If you stay there you should check out this option!!!
I have stayed here on several other trips to the area and will continue to do so!
It is a great value and a great location... So definitely try it out!

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Bootravel01
HotelMngerGM, General Manager at Charleston Marriott, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Thank you for returning to the Charleston Marriott for your stay once again. The best compliment a guest can give is to return to the hotel they love staying at, and also sharing their experience with others. We continually strive to provide our guests the most memorable experience and your comments show that we are upholding this standard. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.