“A Dusty Health Hazard”

Ranked #35 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Orlando, FL
“A Dusty Health Hazard”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Our recent stay at the Charleston Marriott was not to the standards of the Marriott brand. When we first arrived, we had a reservation for two queen beds(note, a confirmation email had been sent two weeks prior) but the front desk agent ,also manager , had seen we had booked a king room. Although we originally had booked a king bed, we modified our room to two queens two weeks before our stay. She struggled trying to find a room with two queens and offered handicap rooms or the king. Although there were "No other Available Rooms", after five minutes, she found more than 2 rooms in the resort.
Room 222
Room 222 was our first room in the hotel and was not satisfactory. As previous problems with the Marriott brand made us want a nice room all around. The toilet was noisy and water ran. The vent in the bathroom did not work at all, and the adjoining room door was noisy. With this we changed rooms
Room 211
Before we entered the room, the bellman had a difficult time opening the room door. He had to slam his shoulder into the door in order to open. He did not seem phased at all as if normal. Guest may have difficulty in emergencies leaving their rooms.
The air conditioner had trouble working and though it ran all night , cold air never came through . We called the engineer to see if the air could be made cooler and he partly fixed it, but never met target temperature. When he had opened the unit, dust was clumped everywhere. We then looked about the room to notice dust packed to the point it could not be moved by a finger. We had enough of the room and tried reaching other hotels, but all of them were busy. Eventually, it got too late, so we had to stay in the room for the night.
We opened the curtains to our window and the view was terrible. We had rusty air conditioning units with the crown jewel being a half smoked cigar. We were not high enough to see the sights of historic Charleston or the river the hotel layed on at all

Before we went to bed, we called the front desk to ask them to change the air filter because of health concerns. Even with that, we were coughing through the night and had sore throats in the morning. We had a number of other issues with the room also such as:
A broken luggage rack
Two rolls of used toilet paper
A ring in the toilet bowl
Holes bitten in the curtain
Curtain off the track
A blinking smoke detector
One set of towels for guest
a bed skirt that had not been fitted

This was an extreme inconvenience the next day. We spent 5hrs finding another hotel, and missed most of our family event. It burdened the entire trip as we had to cancel sight seeing and other activities planned for the two days.Our stay was atrocious.

Room Tip: Get a High floor or else you get parking lot/ac views.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Ellisonctc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Rooms smell like mold, unclean and heavey mold in the bathroom showers. Hallways are dirty and carpet are peeling up from the floors. Beware I checked out ASAP and they credited my account 35k points.

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank kcarberry1609
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We were there 8/8/2014 The hotel is good, the breakfast was excellent, a complete buffet for a very reasonable price of $12 per person. The location isn't the best, because if you want to go to Historical center you need to drive 10 minutes and them look for parking space over there. But I want to write a special mention to Jeanette Tucker, she was very helpful with us, looking for restaurants and for hotels in our next trip step. Really we are so grateful with her. Congrats to her and to the hotel for so outstanding staff.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank norarobert
HotelMngerGM, General Manager at Charleston Marriott, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Thank you for staying at my hotel recently and for taking notice of my efficient staff. Thank you for recognizing Jeanette Tucker with your kind compliments. Please be assured I will recognize her at our next staff meeting and read your comments out loud and share with all the hotel associates. I hope to welcome you back to our hotel soon in the near future.

Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I didn't stay overnight at this hotel but I used almost all of their facilities because our convention was there for a week. It is a great hotel and I was bummed we didn't make reservations before they were all booked. The staff, restaurant, and outside facilities were great and we used them plenty for our luncheons and meetings. I love the little area they have next to the pool and there is a water way across the street that has a very nice pier to walk to. I would stay there if I came back to Charleston although I'm partial to Hilton hotels.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank OnAPermanentVacation
HotelMngerGM, General Manager at Charleston Marriott, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Thank you for your very kind review about our hotel. We work hard to be an excellent service hotel and it's always great to hear that it is making a difference. We have so much to offer to our guests at the hotel from our award-winning Saffire Restaurant featuring seasonally inspired menus of the highest quality food, to the Aqua Terrace Roof-Top Bar offering magnificent views and sunsets. Our location being minutes away from Downtown Charleston makes it a convenient location yet more of a peaceful experience away from the hustle and bustle downtown sometimes can be. I hope you will choose to stay with us the next time you are in this area.

Sincerely
Miami
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Please be aware that check in is 4:00pm. We happen to be there during a regional meeting or small convention and one of the elevators was out of service, needless to say getting to our room was difficult. The lobby had been updated but the rooms are old and dated.
I would recommend a high floor room with a view of the bay.
The bathroom was dirty and needs to be updated.

The pool area is nice. The hotel is not even close to all the main attractions.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Orthodontics
HotelMngerGM, General Manager at Charleston Marriott, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you for staying at the Charleston Marriott and for sharing your comments online. I appreciate your candid feedback about your accommodations. We have completed our planning stage and will start the "refurbishment" project in 2014 including hotel rooms, lobby, restaurant and meeting facilities. I would love to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Marriott, and experience the new look and feel of the Marriott. Please contact my office with your future stay dates and I will see to your reservations personally and hope to regain your confidence. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Oklahoma
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I recently stayed three nights while attending a convention held in this hotel. I arrived in early evening, weary after long travel, and was sent to my second floor king room that I had reserved months earlier. As soon as I opened the door, I was hit with the strong scent of cologne/perfume, then noticed a few dirty glasses on the bathroom counter, and that the bed linens were rumpled -- it was just a little suspicious as to what might have occurred after the room was cleaned that morning. I called the front desk and was told that they had no other king rooms available, so I had the choice of waiting for this room to be cleaned or move to a double. I was creeped out by the first room, plus I was exhausted, so I had to accept the double room, much to my disappointment. I also had a pretty awful view of a rooftop of air conditioners and puddles and gravel.

The hotel is pretty for a hotel in this class and the convention facilities are great -- many rooms of lots of sizes that were perfect for the convention I attended. The hotel was sold out so using the two tiny elevators was a nightmare. This hotel needs several more elevators! I was only on the second floor, but I never could figure out where the stairs were.

The hotel staff was very courteous and very helpful with questions about local attractions. They run a complimentary shuttle every half-hour to the nearby historical district, which I was very grateful for. There's a great patio area off the main lobby with comfortable shaded seating that was very pleasant once the temperatures began to cool later in the evening.

The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was adequate, except that the door would not open wider than about 45-50 degrees. There was actually a stop on the floor to keep it from opening a full 90 degrees, which was inexplicable. This made it crowded to get in the door and on the toilet. Very poor design.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank lms68
HotelMngerGM, General Manager at Charleston Marriott, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Thank you for staying at Charleston Marriott and for posting your experience. I am pleased to read you enjoyed your overall stay with us. I will certainly share your observations and use it as a training tool with my management team to apply corrective actions. We do hope to have another opportunity of welcoming you back soon.

Sarasota, Fl.
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This hotel is located in downtown Charleston, although it is not a easy walk anyplace. We had a car, so we did not have to rely on walking or taking the shuttle, but taking the shuttle is probably best as parking can be difficult in downtown. The hotel is old, and shows that it is worn. The rooms were also warn and the closets and bathrooms were rusty. It didn't help that it rained all weekend, keeping the "prettier" décor outside (cushions for the couches and chairs, etc...) either up, or if they were there they were soaking wet. The pool area is ok, pretty basic. Again, might have been prettier if it was not raining. I ate in the restaurant (Saffire) for breakfast and dinner, and both times it was good. I had drinks one evening on the "rooftop bar" (off the 3rd floor) and there were a ton of people out there, and only one person working the bar. This really resulted in horrible customer service b/c the gentleman could not keep up with everyone. When I tried to pay my bill, I literally stood at the bar for over 15 minutes trying to get his attention. The concierge lounge was excellent and provided a nice "evening snack" and breakfast.
All in all I would probably look at the neighboring Courtyard next time which looks newer and more updated, or even the Residence Inn or SpringHill on the other side of the Ashley River to compare pricing, but if the Marriott is less expensive then it could still be a good value.

Room Tip: Go for the Concierge Lounge level.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank AXO1010
Thank you for your recent stay at the Charleston Marriott and your comments regarding your stay. Please accept my sincerest apologies for letting you down. I can assure you that I have brought your concerns to my teams attention and we have adjusted our methods so that we can continue to improve and strive towards providing great service every stay. We hope to welcome you back soon.