“Fantastic hotel fantastic staff”

Charleston Marriott
Ranked #36 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
england
“Fantastic hotel fantastic staff”
Reviewed 13 June 2009

The prices of hotels in the Charleston area are expensive to prices in Europe so having read some negative comments about the Charlesto Marriott it made me wary of booking in an area i knew nothing about but arriving after a long flight from the uk the minute we stepped into the lobby i knew i had made the right choice. Bright spacious and everyone very friendly.Reaching our room and it was Wow. Stepping out onto the sunny balcony there were lovely views of the river and marina. After a rest on the most comfortable bed ever we changed and went to the restaurant for a light meal. That was a joke,as we discovered over the next 2 weeks in South Carolina nothing comes small. On our last day there was heavy rain which caused a power failure but the laughter it caused was great, ( in England everyone would have been moaning.) Arriving at the restaurant the last thing we expected to see was hot food full marks to the chef cooking away on a small gas burner. The swimming pool, the courtyard and the roof top terrace we tried them all and so many strangers came to talk to us it made us feel special. I was 70 yrs old when i checked in and felt 20 yrs younger when i checked out I think this is down to Southern hospitality The wedding that followed at Folly Beach is another spectacular part of our holiday

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank missmarples

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
South Florida, Florida
Reviewed 11 June 2009

This Marriot is absolutely amazing...The staff is the nicest ever. The lobby is absolutely gorgeous. The rooms are very pretty and spacious. I loved their outdoor bar on the balcony overlooking ashley river. Their restaurant is very good. Their location is great right by downtown but without all the noise and parking problem. Their concierge on the executive level was the best. It was my birthday and they surprised me with a bottle of bubbly and strawberry chocolate in my room....I had the best birthday ever they treated us like royalties and we loved every minute of it. I have been to Charleston many times and this hotel is my all time favorite. I loved everything about it. I wish all the Marriott's were like this one. I stayed at a Renaissance Marriot before this hotel toped it in every way imaginable. We will not stay at any other hotel when in Charleston. Thank you for the most enjoyable stay to all the
SF

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
USA
Reviewed 8 June 2009

I recently visited Charleston, SC for the second time. It is a great area to stay in and I really enjoyed the area beaches and local attractions. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of staying at the Charleston Marriott. I made my reservation on-line and made a three night reservation which included this package: “Stay Three Nights and Receive a $50 Visa Gift Card in Charleston”

I am back from my trip and never received the $50 Visa Gift Card. If you read other reviews for this hotel, you will learn of similar experiences. Evidently, the hotel has no intention of providing the gift card as promised. When I checked into the hotel, the clerk did not mention the gift card. I asked for the gift card and was instructed that I would have to return when a manager was available because the managers were the only staff who could retrieve the cards. I returned later and spoke with a manager. He informed me that the cards were not kept on-site and told me that I would receive a card in the mail. I told him that if the hotel intends to mail the cards then the hotel should not advertise the cards as being given in Charleston. I called the hotel today and asked if my card was mailed. I was promised that it was. I asked from which site the card was mailed from and the clerk stated that it was mailed from that hotel. He further stated that the reason that I did not receive the gift card during my stay was because the hotel was out of gift cards and a new shipment just arrived. I received three different and conflicting reports as to why the hotel was not giving me the gift card and, frankly, I do not expect to ever receive one in the mail.

In addition to not receiving the gift card, the hotel did not follow through on my reservation. Here is a copy of my confirmation email:

“1 King Bed, Guaranteed
Extra Towels, Request Noted
Foam Pillows, Request Noted”

When I checked, I was offered two queen size beds. I told the clerk my reservation was for a king size bed. He stated that the only room available with a king size bed was a handicap accessible room. I took this room and found out that it had no bathtub. As far as extra towels or foam pillows, I did not receive either and this makes sense because the hotel never actually “reserved” a room for me as promised.

Parking at the hotel is horrible for two reasons. One is that no matter where you park, you will walk a great distance to get to your room. The second reason is that the parking lot floods and you will have to walk and wade through large bodies of water. The water is over one foot deep in places. If you face the building, on the left side near the rear, you will find one pond that someone has placed sand bags across to use a stepping stones. Remember this if you don't heed my warning and stay at this hotel anyway.

This hotel charges for internet and breakfast. The internet costs about $10 a day and even the continental breakfast (2 muffins) costs around $10. I am not use to paying for either of these items at other hotels.

The hotel does not allow customers to use the luggage carts. You can pay hotel staff to take your luggage down but I find this inconvenient and is not a service that I would pay for.

Again, Charleston is a terrific area. Nice beaches, lots interesting local attractions, and the locals are very friendly. Just remember to avoid the Charleston Marriot!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank carl95
Rocky Mount, NC
Reviewed 7 June 2009

My wife & I visited the Charleston Marriott for a conference as well as for some sightseeing and a little weekend getaway. The conference room was adequate and the price was great with the conference discount. We found our room to be lavishly decorated with beautiful decor and a very elegant bathroom. The bed was comfortable and luxurious. The view was fair, as there was a lot of condensantion on the window and you couldn't get a good view. The in- hotel restaurant looked very nice, but I can't say that we tried it. There wasn't a lot of privacy at the tables as they were open to the hotel lobby. The location was very convenient to downtown Charleston.
Our only complaint is that we reserved a King bed room and we ended up with two double beds. When we complained, they told us that the reservation we made was simply a "request" for a king bed, and that the reservation does not actually hold a king bed for you. After complaining, they did offer us a king room- over the bar. They told us that they usually try not to use the room b/c of a lot of complaints about noise. So, we kept the double beds and still found them to be very nice.
Overall, we really enjoyed our stay at the Marriott Charleston.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
Florence, sc
Reviewed 7 June 2009

This hotel had the best fitness center I have seen in a hotel. Three elipticals, I think three treadmills, new weight equipment and free weights. The treadmills and elipticals had tv screens on them. I had forgotten my earbuds but luckily there was a big container full of individually wrapped earbuds to use to plug into the tvs.

For some reason when I tried to turn on the TV it wouldn't, I told the front desk staff about it and they had it fixed while I was out exploring all the things Charleston and the surrounding areas had to offer.

I was placed in a room on the third floor near the aqua lounge, which is basically a bar located on a balcony. So, when the door was opened you could hear the music and occasionally the people walking in and out of the bar. It wasn't a big deal because they close at 10pm but you should keep this in mind if you want to get to bed early.

Oh, I almost forgot. The wireless internet is not free in your room. You have to pay 10 dollars a day for it.

Overall, it was a great place to stay.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
USA
Reviewed 27 May 2009

This Hotel was wonderful and exceeded our expectations for the price we paid. The rooms were clean, bright and very comfortable. The soaps etc., were very nice from Bed and Body Works and smelled yummy. The bathroom had a marble top vanity and big fluffy white towels. We did not eat at the Hotel so I can't commet on the food. The lobby and lounge areas and pool were great. An added bonus was a shuttle downtown to the historic area from 8:30 am to 10:30pm for a small charge. I would not hesitate to stay at this hotel again we liked it so much.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
greenville, south carolina
Reviewed 28 April 2009

I have stayed here several times. Very nice place great pool, fitness center, rooms are nice, kids love the room service.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family