“Lovely place; perfection is close at hand if they want it!”

Charleston Marriott
Ranked #31 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 9 March 2010

I was traveling with my spouse (who attended a conference at this hotel) and twin girls, age 8. We all really liked this hotel. It's beautiful, definitely a step above the garden-variety, expressway-exit Marriott. It has a beautiful landscaped courtyard with a wall around it, and a heated pool and hot tub, and lots of cushy seating in this protected atmosphere. The lobby area is snazzy, gleaming and modern, and appears very recently updated. Our corner room was lovely with its goose-down comforter and luxury linens. The complimentary aromatherapy toiletries from Bath & Body Works were a big hit with us girls. The staff were uniformly helpful, friendly and pleasant, really worked to please. The food in the dining room was good, if slightly overpriced (buffet breakfast, including all beverages, lots of ripe berries and fruit, shrimp & grits and custom omelets, was $17 for adults, but just $5 for the children). The room had a small problem with air quality--you can't open the windows for fresh air, and there was a surprising amount of condensation accumulating on the inside of the windows that eventually was enough to run down in small streams to the floor, which in turn showed some beginning signs of mold/damage. There was also a problem with our bill--the conference rate was applied only for the first night--and when we brought it to the clerk's attention at checkout, she wasn't willing or able to make the adjustment. That had to wait until we returned home, and I called a supervisor to ask again. Second time was the fix for that. Music being piped into that elegant lobby/lounge area was this sort of one-dimensional techno-throb, super-spare dance music, trying to be trendy I guess, which wasn't the best fit--most folks using a hotel like this would prefer classical, jazz, or some other more acoustic or melodious background music. But it was overall a positive experience, and we'd stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,176)

Reviewed 28 February 2010

Fabulous friendly efficient staff. Rooms luxurious and clean, courtyard relaxing to say the least. I have travelled all over the world, business and personal, but I have been back to this hotel for 2 weeks -THREE times. Every time I think I must go somewhere else for a holiday - I just think how happy, relaxed and well looked after I am at the Marriott, and Yes I go back again!!Scott, the front of house manager and his staff cannot do enough to please and the hotel has everything you need - a coffee and snacks place looking onto the courtyard, lovely swimming pool with fresh towels every second and the little shuttle mini bus that takes you on demand to downtown Charleston (minutes!) What more could you ask for. My BUSINESS is actually training hotel staff on guest empathy,image, and personal efficiency. THERE IS NOTHING I COULD TEACH THIS HOTEL.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 February 2010

The entire hotel has been newly renovated. We enjoyed our stay at the Marriott Charleston Ashley river. It's only a 10 minute drive to the historic district, and we found free stree parking Saturday night in the historic district, so driving there was no problem at all. They also have a shuttle. We saved money by staying in the Ashley River area. I rate hotels on my sleep quality, and I slept well. The room was quiet, bed was soft and comfortable, and the room was nice. We got a great deal for our money as we bid on the room online before leaving for Charleston. I've stayed in Charleston Place probably for three times the price, and the room was similar. The pool is large enough to swim laps, although not heated, and the workout facility is large compared to smaller hotels. Parking is free at the hotel, and I'm using their free internet in the business center now. The staff greets us each time they see us enter the hotel and gave me a free bottle of water when I checked in. There's a free coffee maker in the room. We enjoyed watching the sunset over the Ashley River from the park across the street from the hotel. This hotel is close to John's Island and the road to Folly Beach, which is about 20-30 minutes away.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Charlottecouple
Reviewed 13 February 2010

My husband attended a conference at the Marriott last weekend. We arrived late Friday night and was greated by the nicest person, Alex, who not only took our bags to our room but followed our vehicle and escorted us back to the front of the hotel. He told us about local places to eat and visit. My son and I met with the conciere, Sheri, the next morning who took extra time to find out about events that were in another town. The chef, Amed, was so friendly and even tried to teach us how to make the best omlet I've ever eaten. The breakfast buffet is unbelievable. The room was impecable. The beds were so comfortable. It couldn't have been a better staff including the front desk and housekeeping. Everyone was exceptional. The meeting place for my husband was equally as good. Management does an wonderful job with their employees. We have never been to a place where everyone was so friendly and helpful. We were there 2 nights.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 January 2010

I've seen some reviews here that state how people have had great times here, etc and I just can't really imagine how poorly they typically travel.

The hotel is fine. I won't go any further than that. It'll do for a couple of nights, but I travel for business for extended periods (min. 4 nights, usualy more) and this place won't cut it for that type of time.

First up, the location sucks. It's not walking distance to anything. Upon driving up you'll be enticed by the modern decor, the sleek looking furniture, etc. Then you'll realized there are about 50 parking spaces for a 13 story hotel. You'll go into the lobby and be prompty checked in and walk down the long hallway that is handsomely decorated with art and gorgeous wooden furniture, but then you'll get in the elevator. The elevators were horribly in need of renovation. They were filthy, worn out, and very industrial. If I'm calling a place "home" for a few days, I don't want to feel like I'm riding a warehouse freight elevator. Once the elevator door opens, you'll be relieved to find the hallways are well done and everything again looks good...until you get in your room. Pack lightly, because you won't have much space! The room is tiny. I'm a platinum Marriott member and I can easily say this is the worst room I've been assigned by the chain in the last 4 years. The bathroom is about as big as the keyboard I'm typing on right now. The door clears the toilet by about an inch when it opens.

The gym was pretty solid for a hotel. it had updated equiptment, dumbbells, and machines.

The internet was free to platinum members.

I moved to the Renaissance after two nights (they were able to match the rate I received). I am much happier there.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 January 2010

Do not stay here even if the rooms are free. I was there for a meeting and the location sucks.....the only restaurants within walking distance is fast food. My room was damp and smelled of mold. Serveral other people said the same thing. The beds are like a rock. Also you have to pay $9.95 per day for wifi.......that is SO WRONG. My advice stay downtown, it will be nicer, cheaper and you will have everything you want within walking distance!!!!

1  Thank Aric66
Reviewed 19 January 2010

The Marriott Hotel Charleston was terrific in every aspect. The entire hotel was immaculate. Each and every staff member was courteous, friendly and did everything they could to accommodate us. We had breakfast in the hotel and the food was fresh and good. We've traveled all over the world and have never had a hotel stay like this. A real value in this economy. Make no mistake, we will return.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple