“Great 2 Nights Stay”

Ranked #9 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Great 2 Nights Stay”
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We spent 2 nights at the Town and Country Inn and Suites in Charleston, SC. It is a great hotel with friendly staff and great accommodations. Room was very clean and modern. We ate breakfast at the hotel restaurant (Trotters) the 2 mornings we were there. Great breakfast buffet that was well stocked and everything was fresh. If you book the hotel through them, they will give you a $15 voucher to use at the restaurant.

1 Thank Stacy L
Erin E, Manager at Town & Country Inn and Suites, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Thanks for pointing out that you enjoyed the service of our staff along with the other compliments you gave our family owned and operated hotel. I also appreciate that you pointing out the Free Food and Beverage Voucher program we provide for guests who book directly through the hotel. Thanks for choosing us and we welcome your return.
Erin T. England – Director of Sales and Guest Satisfaction

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Welcome, North Carolina
Reviewed 23 July 2013

It pains me to write a negative review about the Town & Country Inn and Suites because the owners have obviously put a lot of money and effort into improving this property. However, there were more misses than hits during our stay.

We booked here because we wanted to avoid the $300 plus per day costs of good hotels and B&Bs in downtown Charleston. Previous reviews made the hotel seem better than average and the price (~$150 weekdays, ~$180 weekends) left a lot in our pockets for cab fare to meals and Spoleto Festival performances.

The troubles started immediately after check-in when we attempted to enter from the side parking lot, the one closest to the elevators to the second floor. Our room key card refused to work on the exterior door. Several hotel staff persons just inside the glass door refused even to acknowledge our pleas for help, resulting in my wife having to hike to the front of the hotel for assistance. Even though the clerk who responded was very apologetic and helpful (she brought a luggage cart as well as opening the door and assuring that our key cards worked), this was an inauspicious start to our three-night stay.

Once in the room (a junior suite with hot tub), we found a spotless and well-appointed accommodation with recessed ceiling; bathroom with twin sinks set in granite, tiled shower, and the aforementioned tub; refrigerator, coffee maker, and closets with safe; twin faux-leather swivel chairs and tile-topped occasional table; new, modern, and stylish furniture and fixtures; a gigantic flat-screen 16:9 TV; and probably the best king size bed we have ever encountered in our travels. The bathroom/closet area was separated from the living/sleeping space by three sliding pocket doors that, when opened, added to an open, airy feel. Certainly, this room was much roomier and more elegant than the pricier downtown equivalents.

However, the vinyl layer had already begun separating from the fabric on the naugahyde-covered chairs; the feed to the humongous TV was standard definition in a 4:3 format stretched into a blurry, distorted mess at normal viewing distances (from the bed it was a little better, but not up to the standard this property aspires to); and the two bathroom exhaust fans could not be turned off. And they were LOUD!

When we brought the exhaust fan problem to the attention of the night desk, the staff member there confirmed that there was no off switch for the fans ("That's the way they're designed."). When we told her that they were excessively loud, she responded, "All the rooms are like that," not once, but three times before we gave up and headed for bed. Notice the absence of the word "sorry" in her responses.

(While we spoke to the attendant at the desk, a lady with a hotel badge who we later found out was the night supervisor totally ignored us while holding court in the nearby lounge with some of her friends and fellow workers. This situation occurred all three nights of our stay. Paying guests were effectively prohibited from using the lounge.)

Back in the room, we closed all three doors between the bed and the fans, but the roar (like the inside of a jet during take off) persisted and allowed us only a fitful night's sleep despite the comfort of the bed with its superior sheets and comforter.

The next day, my wife encountered a day supervisor in the hallway and explained our predicament. She, unlike the night crew, immediately went into action. First she apologized profusely, then sent a repairman to our room to "change the filters" which she explained sometimes helped. It did. For the next two nights, with the doors closed, the fans sounded no louder than a typical bathroom exhaust fan, and we slept better. However, the hotel should have addressed the problem that first night instead of having its front desk simply repeat, "All the rooms are like that." Moreover, they should simply install a switch.

The pool area, located in an open atrium, was closed the first day for maintenance, according to a sign taped to the door. The water did look murky and, although we saw no workers engaged in repairs, we figured they were toiling in the pump/filter room. Whatever they did, it did not clear up the murkiness when the pool reopened the next day. However, my wife did not find the water objectionable when she went in, just unattractive.

We ate breakfasts in the hotel's restaurant, Trotters, using our $15 daily vouchers. It provided an adequate buffet as well as menu items. However, we encountered yet another service issue here. When we arrived Sunday, we found the restaurant full and had to leave our name with the maître d'. We retreated to the nearby lounge (thankfully free of hotel staff) to wait. During the next 20 minutes, we witnessed the tuxedo-clad host accommodate parties who we knew had arrived after us. When he hugged a group that had just entered the hotel and immediately seated them, I confronted him. He sputtered a weak explanation about waiting for a window table to open up, and we did get that window table about five minutes later, and gazed upon a parking lot, how chic! The Sunday buffet was more expansive than the ones we previously grazed, and more expensive (of course), but totally lacked pastries and muffins. We did enjoy the omelet and blintz station, where a seasoned professional not only prepared, but also kept straight a blitz of orders.

During our stay, we experienced the highs of an incredibly well-appointed and spacious room as well as attentive day service. But the lows of sleeping through the relentless exhaust fan drone and the inexcusably unprofessional and preferential night and restaurant service far outweighed those highs. We won't be back unless we read in future reviews that the hotel has solved its problems.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Bren B
I appreciate you pointing out how much you liked the actual hotel and it’s amenities that you received for the price. As for the noise you mentioned this is our dehumidification system that we have in our new construction hotel. I apologize that it generated too much air noise during your stay. This system prevents the mold, mildew, allergic reactions, dampness, and “dank” smelling air commonly associated with hotel guestrooms in our area due to extremely high air humidity in coastal South Carolina. I would definitely like to discuss your stay and am prepared to do whatever is necessary to ensure your satisfaction. Please contact me at 843-571-1000.
Dunnellon, Florida
Reviewed 23 July 2013

The staff, Jennifer, Povie and Shawn we so helpful and friendly all through our 4 day stay. The hotel is clean , beds very comfortable and a short drive to downtown Charleston. The only thing negative about our stay was the air vents in the bathroom are VERY NOISEY and had to keep the door shut at all times.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
We take great pride in our staff and are so appreciative that you mentioned three of our personnel that went out of their way. I will make sure to let them know that you mentioned them by name and appreciated their service. If there is anything I can do for you in the future please let me know.
Syosset
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Very pretty room, clean and new. About a 10 minute drive to downtown. Although we received a $15 voucher, the buffet breakfast was nothing great. No fresh fruit (fruit seemed like canned fruit), no cereals or yogurt, and coffee or tea was extra. It was during the week; perhaps the weekend buffet includes more options. All in all, this was a great value.

Room Tip: I requested a quiet room on an upper floor and was accommodated.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
I am honored by your compliments on the guestrooms, the food service, our voucher program for guests who book directly through the hotel, and the overall value you experienced. You are correct in that the weekend breakfast buffets are larger and contain more items such as an omlette and crepe station and other extras. If there is anything I can do for you in the future please let me know.
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We just checked out this morning and we had a fabulous stay. Rooms and hotel are super clean. Loved having a separate shower. Bed was super comfy and linens were sumptuous. Buffet was very good with lots of choices. Overall it is one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in, particularly at that price point.

• Stayed July 2013
Erin E, Manager at Town & Country Inn and Suites, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Thanks for “echoing” what so many of our other guests have said in regards to this being one of the best hotels you have stayed in. I am also glad that you felt our hotel was such a good value. Please come again and see us. If there is anything I can do for you in the future please let me know.
Commerce GA
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Other than a misunderstanding when we checked in about the payment of the room (I had been told we would pay when we checked out,but when we arrived I was asked for payment in full for the entire 4 days- guess I should have expected this), everything was great. The entire staff - front desk, house keeping, & restaurant (Trotter's) were polite and customer service oriented. Our room was exactly what we requested when we made our phone reservations, it was clean and very comfortable. We had Room 107 on the bottom floor near the pool and it was very convenient to the parking areas. Our 2 queen beds were very comfortable and we rested well each night after busy days sightseeing and shopping. Bathroom was very roomy with a full bathtub and a roomy shower. All the fixtures & furniture was exactly as pictured on the website. We were very pleased and this is a great value for your dollar versus some of the over priced smaller rooms in the Historic District. The trip into town or to the Islands is a short distance, maybe 15 minutes at the most. Yes you have to find parking downtown but there's lots of it. Parking here is free and plenty of it.
The Restaurant- Trotter's- We only ate there once even tho they gave us a $15 voucher for each day of our stay. I ate the Breakfast buffet on Friday morning but was not that impressed.
ONE CON: They did not tell us there was a $50/per day incidental fee but we were only charged that one time as we didn't bill anything to our room. It was returned to us at check out. My vacations are strictly cash basis (I don't use credit cards, but a debit card to reserve if necessary) and that probably explains the $$ confusion to start with and the incidental fee as well. Most up scale hotels don't appreciate cash because they can't capture extras if guests charge them to the room.
Over all this was a Great stay.

Room Tip: Be sure to get the name of the person you make your reservations with. I should have.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Thanks for taking the time to give us such a nice review. Just to clarify one small point if I may… There is no incidental fee charged. That is a temporary hold that is paced on the card used at check in and that temporary hold is released upon check out. This is not a charge to your card. I am not aware of any hotels that do not do this for incidental charges in case they are charged. Just wanted to clarify that. I am so glad that you had a great time. If there is anything I can do for you in the future please let me know.
Macon, Georgia
Reviewed 20 July 2013

My wife and I recently stayed here while celebrating our 25th Anniversary in Charleston. Every part of the stay was excellent from check-in to check-out. I had contacted the hotel in advance to ask about helping to surprise my wife and Mr. Stephen Clarke helped to arrange flowers and wine to be waiting in the room. He also gave some very helpful advice about Charleston as we were making plans, since we had never visited the city before. Thank you so much Stephen for all of your help to make the weekend special!

The room was spotless, bed was very comfortable, and I couldn't ask for a better stay anywhere. The room even had a Keurig coffee pot, cool! It is only about a 10 minute drive to downtown Charleston, we saw no reason to pay the downtown hotel rates. We drove downtown and parked in the parking garage each day...piece of cake. I think we saved several hundred dollars by staying at the Town & Country versus downtown.

I highly recommend this hotel, and plan to stay here again on our next visit to Charleston. Our anniversary trip could not have gone any better.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chuck_J119
All of your compliments are so very appreciated. I am also glad that you had such great service and were made to feel special and important. I am glad that you noticed how much you saved by staying with us and that even though you saved money you got outstanding amenities. Thanks again and I hope you return soon. If there is anything I can do for you in the future please let me know.