“The Innkeeper”

Ranked #7 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Roswell, GA
“The Innkeeper”
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Generally, a hotel room can be just that, a place to hang your hat, lay your head and live out of your suitcase.

The outstanding ones though, like the Town & Country Inn and Suites in Charleston, South Carolina are a genuine reflection of the innkeepers very personal attention to and vision of hospitality; and in the case of the Town & Country Inn and Suites… true Southern hospitality. The care that is extended to the Town & Country Inn and Suites guests is apparent, superb and greatly appreciated. As recent guests, upon entering our suite of rooms; we were immediately drawn to the many subtle elements of the suites fashionable furnishings and décor. It's just that nice. You don't want to leave !!. A little smile is retained in the back of your mind about these few 'special hotels', here and abroad, where the experience is so pleasurable, that the recollection endures even after coming home.

It was this way for my wife and me and for our two close and long term friends who came all the way from Florence Italy to join us on a long weekend in Charleston. The four of us stayed at the remarkable Town & Country Inn and Suites. Upon entering your suite, there is an immediate perception of great value received for a very reasonable price. I have paid much more for far less in my world travels. It was so apparent that every facet of our two suites was thought out and thought through for the guests comfort. Every element of furnishing and décor was conceived and considered in a subtle, understated and tasteful way for the full enjoyment of the guests. Our king bed was perfect, which you realized upon rising each morning by a sense of being thoroughly rested. The large and inviting bathroom is absolutely elegant, complete with a luxurious walk-in shower and a separate multi adjustable jet stream Jacuzzi inspired bathtub. The suites’ bathrooms are the bathrooms that you always promised yourself to create in your own home. I say… keep that dream for one day down the road, but reserve a room at the Town & Country Inn and Suites when you’re headed towards Charleston. The quality of soundproofing from one room to another gave us a real sense of privacy and comfort. The totality of the space gave an overall sense of comfortable balance.…the very essence of the concept of Feng Shui. How does one perceive subtle? It’s almost imperceptible, but that’s the whole point, isn’t it? Even the term “Guest Focused Service” which appears in the Town and Country’s online website descriptive parlance suggests that the people behind their Inn and Suites model know uniquely well, the standards and values of true hospitality. The cost for a suite of rooms at the Town & Country Inn and Suites is a great value quite particularly, if one books directly with them through their website.

We were greeted upon our arrival by the Town & Country’s Director of Sales and Guest Satisfaction, Erin England. That's a terrific title and certainly evokes a feeling of ‘calm sea’s ahead; which gets me to my last point. The innkeeper is really what the hotel hospitality business is or should be about. His or her vision of what the hotel will mean to the guests. Everything from cleanliness to comfort. In the case of the Town and Country Inn and Suites and their Market Pavilion Hotel also in Charleston, there is an entire family dedicated to guests’ satisfaction. I recently read about Palas Hospitality Group in the August issue of “Travel + Leisure”, which awarded their Market Pavilion Hotel, the ”Travel+Leisure” top small city Best Hotel Award.

From a guest’s point of view, this innkeeper is doing everything right.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank happycamper780
Erin E, Manager at Town & Country Inn and Suites, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
That was a great honor to read your Five Star review. We are in the 4th consecutive generation of our family being in the hotel business here in Charleston, SC so the concept of a genuine Innkeeper is something that our family holds dear. As a result, we try really hard to make the Innkeeper ideal of running a hotel apparent to our guests in an era dominated by generic chain hotels that rarely create a memorable experience. I am so glad that you appreciate that. If there is anything that you may need before your next trip to Charleston please let me know and I will handle it for you.
Erin T. England - Director of Sales and Guest Satisfaction

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We had the pleasure of staying at this property over Labor Day weekend. Check in was pleasant, warm,informative and quick. I listened carefully to desk attendant's recommendation for parking as I read in other reviews about the size of this complex. She directed us to the perfect parking area.
We were very tired after a long drive and decided to "settle" for the Trotters restaurant inside the hotel. I am soo glad we did! They had a seafood and prime rib buffet. I am not a big fan of buffets but this was beyond the ordinary. The salad bar is extensive, with a delicious shrimp salad and cold boiled shrimp. The prime rib was very tender. All the fish dishes tasted very fresh. I loved the light batter on the fried shrimp. Rolls and corn muffins with a large pat of real butter could not be overlooked. The service was attentive. We took advantage of the food vouchers, whether for dinner or breakfast, and we were pleased every time. We had a minor issue at breakfast one morning and the restaurant manager, Erin, was very professional and attentive. Kudos to him and his staff! I noticed that alot of locals eat there which I think says alot.
Our room was the king jr suite. It was lovely. The room was immaculate. The bed and linens were divine! The tv and sitting area is very nice, though a little small, but since we chose the smallest room I was very satisfied. The shower is great. There were a few issues but were resolved immediately.

The fitness room has very nice machines. I wish it was open 24 hrs as I needed to use it one morning before the six thirty open time.The pool area is as nice as the pictures. I do wish it had a hot tub. The public areas are very clean.I felt very safe walking through this hotel at all hours.

As far as the location... It was an easy 12-14 minute drive to the heart of downtown, accessed easily with GPS.
I highly recommend staying here and use the money saved for something else.

T

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank cbringdrvr
Erin E, Manager at Town & Country Inn and Suites, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Thank you so much for telling everyone what a pleasure it was staying with us in our family owned and operated hotel. It means so much for us to hear that you had such a fantastic experience with the hotel, the food service here in the hotel, our voucher program, the fitness center and our outdoor pool courtyard. I am also glad to hear that you felt very safe while staying here. Thanks for recommending us with so much enthusiasm and please let me know if need anything before returning for you next stay.
Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed 3 September 2013

On short notice we arrive and were well taken care of. Rooms were clean, linens soft, amenities outstanding and staff was nothing short of excellent. Best location and best value in Charleston. We will return on our frequent visits to Charleston.

Room Tip: This is a spread out property so if you don't like to walk, ask for a room close to the lobby.
Green Features: The hotel recycles, though better bin markings would help in identifying which bins take which recyclables.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Kestrelwind
Erin E, Manager at Town & Country Inn and Suites, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
What a wonderful summary of your fantastic experience with us in our family owned and operated hotel here in Charleston, SC. We so appreciate that you shared the compliments and gave us a genuine Five Star review. I am honored to hear that you think we are the best value and best location in Charleston and that you will be returning.
Easley, South Carolina
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Woke up yesterday morning and decided to day trip to Charleston. Booked T&C from the previous reviews and found the raving reviews to be glaringly accurate. This place is GOLD!
The staff was superb, the rooms are big and beautiful, and the shower in the king room is fantastic. How they can charge so little for this gem is unbelievable. By comparison, this place could easily be twice the price. We took a taxi downtown for $18 to avoid the traffic and parking issues. It was worth every penny. The hotel also gave us a $15 food and bev voucher that we used for breakfast this morning. The buffet is fresh, plentiful and delicious...
Already planning another stay here, for longer this time though. Didn't get a chance to use the pool that looked fabulous.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Paul B
Erin E, Manager at Town & Country Inn and Suites, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Thanks for saying that our family owned and operated hotel was “Gold”. This means the world for us as we all work here. Thanks also for the compliments on the staff, the quality of the guestrooms, and for saying how amazed you were with the price you paid for the quality you received. Thanks for planning another stay with us as well. We will be here so should you need anything please contact us at any point before you arrive.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Booked this hotel for a visit in late June 2013 based on Trip Advisor ratings and reviews. We were completely satisfied with our stay, and found it to be a fantastic value. The room was quite spacious and immaculately clean. Late afternoons by the pool cooling off from the South Carolina heat and humidity were wonderful. Front desk staff was quite helpful with recommendations and directions. Check-in and out were flawless. Every staff member we encountered was friendly and efficient. We would absolutely stay here again when visiting Charleston.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank MommaSea
I am so glad that you identified so strongly with what our service model is here at our family owned and operated hotel. We are delivering just what you said "Fantastic Value" when you see what you get here combined with the amenities we offer for the price. Please come again and let me know if you need anything.
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 30 August 2013

So glad to be back! We found this hotel on tripadvisor for our last visit to Charleston. We were so pleased with our selection last time that we had to come back to our "Charleston home."

Last time we learned that this hotel had just been rebuilt. Fresh, modern, luxurious and great staff. Great price. We were pleased to see that many of the same faces were present during this visit and is it possible to say that our stay was better?? Yes! Our room was lovely, clean and still smelled new. We had a Charlestown Suite.

The desk agents were always bidding us hello or goodbye. We love Cynthia and Pavi. The pool was refreshing in the Charleston Summer heat. Clean towels were set on the pool chairs throught the day which was a nice service. We booked directly and received $15 daily food and beverage vouchers for Trotters Restaurant like last time. We were always greeted warmly by the dining and chef staff who prepared our food and served us each day. Tiffany and Sherry gave great service during the morning, Kathy and Anthony at dinner were standouts. Breakfast buffet was delicious and the restaurant is busy but always neat and food fresh. This hotel is a super value. Tip: there is an enterprise rent a car next door if you are flying in.

Green Features: Did not expect the environmentally friendly aspects of this hotel. The bath soaps were good smelling for natural products.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Barbara E
Erin E, Manager at Town & Country Inn and Suites, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
What an incredible Five Star review... we so appreciate it!! I will let Cynthia, Pavi, Tiffany, Sherry, Kathy, and Anthony know about the praise you gave on their service. I am sure you understand how rare it is to see good service these days, especially at this low price point, so I am grateful that you recognized it. If there is anything I can do for you I the future please let me know.
Aiken, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Only minor complaints are, it is a long walk from rooms in the back to the restaurant/lobby and the shower layout is weird (it is not easy to turn on the shower without getting wet with cold water). Other reviews recommended ordering off the menu to be sure your meal is hot for breakfast, but I saw somebody order from the menu and the waitress used the buffet line to make the plate.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Thanks for the Five Star review! I am glad you would return to our family owned and operated hotel. I did want to clarify one comment made concerning ordering off the menu and the buffet line being used. That was a unique situation in that the guest was wanting their food "To-Go" and wanted it ASAP so in order to accommodate that request we had to make the order form the buffet line which was explained in advance to the guest and they were ok with that. Normally any menu orders are made to order by the chef and sous chefs in the kitchen. Just wanted to make sure that was explained. If there is anything I can do for you in the future please let me know.