“All that glitters is not gold”

Town & Country Inn and Suites
Ranked #8 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 30 December 2013

This motel sports lots of marble surfaces and fancy rugs in the hall ways, but overall our stay was far from perfect. There was no hairdryer in the room (the "engineer" had to deliver one), the bathroom had no heat, and the (very chic) glass door in the shower stuck. I had to get my husband to push hard to open it. There is a strange system for breakfast. No free breakfast, but you get a $15 voucher per night. The problem is that the breakfast cost $8.99 each, plus $2.50 for coffee. That might had been okay if the food matched the elegant serving domes, but it didn't: canned biscuits, pale sausages, salty bacon, okay eggs, with orange juice and cranberry juice.
I won't be back.

Note that there is no indoor pool, though there is a fitness room.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jeanforrister
Erin E, Manager at Town & Country Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

We appreciate your feedback but I do need to correct a few non-facts put forth in your review. Firstly we are not a motel... we are a hotel and additionally we are a full service hotel. There is a major difference between the two. Like all full service hotels we have a sit down style restaurant with servers. We offer this service for those guests who value this convenience. Obviously it is not mandatory that you eat in the restaurant however we do offer a $15.00 per day credit to use that provides value to those who prefer actual food served by a chef over a "food type product" for "free". I am sorry to hear that you do not like those options. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

Our family stayed at this hotel during Christmas week, 2013. We had a double bed room with sleeping sofa. The bed is very comfortable and the room is very clean and new. The front desk is very welcome and is willing to help. We had a corner room and it is very quite. Good rest after walking around the town during the day.

Couple of things can make this place better:
The building looks outdated from outside. The inside is very contemporary though.
Free breakfast instead of just giving people $15 voucher would be very nice. Point this out because in the morning I did see some thought the breakfast is free. The voucher will basically just covers the coffee and milk for kids.
More parking spaces would be better.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are very quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank softmud

I am so glad to hear that you had a very nice stay and plan on returning. We rebuilt the hotel in 2012 and 2013 so all the guestrooms are new construction. Since we have a full service restaurant with waiters and offer this service as a convenience for our guests we have to charge for breakfast to offset the cost of providing this service just as any restaurant would. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

Believe the great reviews about the hotel itself. It is very clean and well-managed. The bedding is like a dream. We'd definitely stay here again.
Just a couple tips, though: ask for a room on the second floor away from the stairwell if you're able to manage it. There was some noise from guests opening and closing the exterior door and climbing the stairs right beside our room and a screaming, stomping child in the room right above us. Certainly not the fault of the hotel, but avoid it if you can when making your reservations.
The $15 daily voucher for Trotter's Restaurant that we received for booking on the hotel's website will cover one guest's breakfast. At $8.99 for the weekday breakfast buffet, the voucher wasn't a huge help for a family of three or more (no discount for a child's buffet, either). We only used our voucher once. The breakfast was just ok, definitely nothing spectacular when compared to the outstanding restaurants available throughout Charleston.

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank NTBFan

Thanks for you kind words and for saying that you would definitely stay here again. Also we appreciate you saying that the hotel was very clean and well managed. We look forward to serving you again. I am pleased that we were able to give you one full restaurant style breakfast with servers and silverware for free as this would cost in another establishment.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

3 Night stay - fairly large room, king bed, flat screen TV, large bath with walk in shower, ample no charge parking. So far so good. Removed the bolster off the bed, and found four HUGE pillows (and I forgot to bring my thin pillow). Found the in-room safe in the closet. Night time - guess I'll try the bed. Next thing I recall was the sunshine through the windows. Wow, did I sleep well. Guess it was time to attempt the buffet breakfast. Huge, plenty of choices, except for the scrambled eggs, which were very good. The second morning I found the juices. Staff was very helpful and kind. Paid for breakfast with the $15.00 voucher given to me at check-in. Voucher doesn't work for tips! Hotel is convenient to everywhere in the area. Will stay there again, for sure.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
6  Thank hendersonvillemike

I am pleased to hear that you plan to stay with us again and that you were pleased with our guestrooms, breakfast buffet, and convenient location. We appreciate your business and please come see us again.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

This was a great value. I agree with the others that charging $2.50 for a cup of coffee and $3.00 for a soda in the dining room is a bit outrageous. The coffee in the room was not an option for me. As a coffee snob, their $2.50 coffee was extremely weak and I basically wasted $2.50 not drinking it. The room was very clean, offered many amenities and had an extremely comfy bed. You can't beat the price. The breakfast buffet was good but nothing outstanding. Not bad for $10.99.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Teacher_0n_Vacati0n

I am glad that you felt we offered a great value in our family owned and operated hotel here in Charleston, SC. You mention that you enjoy premium coffee so I wanted to make sure you were aware that we offer green mountain coffee in the guestroom room for free. Thanks for your business and please come see us again.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

Checked into our room. Found out that the $15 coupon for the restaurant, if you make the reservation directly with the motel, was just for the whole room and not per person. Breakfast is $9 per person. So, I will end up owing $3 plus tax for breakfast each day. But, it looks like it is a nice buffet meal. Ticks me off that I have to pay $2.50 for a coffee for breakfast. A buffet meal but you have to buy your coffee????? The assorted juices are free so I think I’ll get a lot of juice and maybe drink it. What really ticks me off is that the waitress comes around, after you seat yourself, and asks if you want coffee. She does NOT tell you that this is an additional $2.50 charge. Just asks if you want it. Why the deception here? Do they need the money so bad that they will, in effect, steal it from you? Is it worth $2.50 to piss you off so you will look for another hotel next time you visit? There is a hell of a profit when you charge $2.50 for a cup of coffee. We travel a lot and many hotels have free coffee 24 hours a day. It is very stupid, to me and, out of principal, I will look for a different motel next time we visit. I don't like encouraging motels that set out to screw me out of my money.

Our room is pretty nice. Very modern. Easy to connect to internet. Separate shower and bath. Marble tops on the furniture and the bathroom vanity. They have a nice toilet and I am going to look around for new toilets when we get home. These actually flush and they don’t give you a modified, unintentional bidet treatment with every flush.

Room Tip: There is a free coffee maker in your room and you can switch the decaf for regular coffee at the des...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank thevisitorcenter

Regarding the breakfast you may have noticed that you were eating in a large, busy full service, open to the public restaurant with waiters, china, silverware etc... As in all restaurants food is provided for a charge. We do provide Keurig coffee in the guestrooms for free to our guests who prefer that option. If the server made a mistake and forgot to inform you about a separate charge for coffee then that is our fault and we owe you an apology and certainly did not do that on purpose. We have been in the hotel business for four consecutive generations here ion Charleston and place supreme importance of the opinion of our guests so please accept our most sincere apologies for this error.

Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

We stopped at the hotel on our way to a cruise. The staff was very friendly. The lobby was comfortable. The breakfast buffet was average. The location was convenient. Our only complaint was the cleanliness of the room. The coffee pot was dirty and had not been cleaned from the previous guest's use. The comforter on the bed was reversible. When we pulled it down, there was a white substance on it. The comforter was dirty and had just been reversed to cover up the white substance. The manager was apologetic and offered us a discount on our next stay, but we passed and told her we would not stay there on future visits to the area.

• Stayed: October 2013
4  Thank Mabacata

I am terribly sorry to hear of your experience in our family owned and operated hotel. I can assure you that our comforters are of the highest possibly quality (not typical in this price range)and are laundered after each guest as I personally supervise this activity. Additionally each guestroom is inspected by the executive and the assistant executive housekeeper before being released for occupancy again. Please contact me so I can make this right for you.