“Charlest, SC - Southern Hospitality at its best!”
Review of Charleston

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
New York City, New York
214 helpful votes
“Charlest, SC - Southern Hospitality at its best!”
Reviewed 24 April 2009

I was in Historic Charleston from 4/12/09 thru 4/15/09. The city and it people are beautiful, warm, and friendly. We learned while there that the prior week was quite busy with visitors for the Easter break. We experienced no crowds at all. The historic district is clean and very safe. If you have ever been to Boston or Salem, Charleston is similar in that you can walk form the visitors center on the north end to the Battery in the south end. The visitor's center is the first place you must start at. It is the most organized I have ever encountered. There you can schedule tours and book hotel rooms. Parking is limited on the streets but there are plenty of multilevel garages located strategically throughout the city at very good rates. Do not drive the city, the streets become narrow. Best way to experience it is to walk. Historic homes and landmarks are clearly marked. I just wish I had time to visit inside some of the homes and museums.
Highly recommended and to truly see it all it has to offer you need a full 5 days.

1 Thank John O
Bettendorf Iowa
34 helpful votes
“Things to do in Charleston SC”
Reviewed 22 April 2009

Book a room at 15 Church Street B&B[--]the best B&B in town! This is a great place to stay as most restauruants and attractions are within walking distance. And what a walk it is through historic Charleston amid beautifully maintained historic homes and gardens. There are several homes open for tours. Walk through Battery park and along the harbor, it's beautiful. Book a demonstration cooking class on "low country cooking" at Charleston Cooks [--] and sample some local cuisine. We learned some new cooking techniques as well. Take a carriage ride through town and learn facts about Charleston's rich history and culture. We used Palmetto Carriage Works [--] Our tour guide was informative and entertaining. Book a Gullah Tour and learn about the Gullah culture. [--]. Eat at Magnolia's on East Bay [--] and enjoy some of hte finest seafood. Eat where the locals eat - Hominy Grill on Rutledge and try the Shrimp & Grits. They have hte best chocolate pudding ever! Wear good, comfortable shoes and enjoy the city on foot. The beauty of the historic homes with their rustic gas lights flickering is romantic and mesmerizing.

4 Thank Karen C
New York
2 helpful votes
“Spring in the South”
Reviewed 25 March 2009

Travel to the south is a part of being a Northeaster. You want, no need a break from the all too long winter that tends to ramble on with no end in sight. Charleston is a welcome change. I traveled last week to the city and fell in love yet again. With spring being in full swing, there was no shortage of flowers and warm weather. As part of my job I take students on art tours of different cities, Charleston did not disappoint. From the amazing architecture and wonderful collections my days were culturally full and lengthly.

To see the high styles of one of the richest cities before the Revolution go on an architectural walking tour. See the Nathaniel Russell and the Aiken Rhett houses, cared for by the Historic Charleston Foundation. Drayton Hall, a plantation across the causeway is a must see.
Don't miss out on pralines. I think my students made themselves sick on them. And although the line may be around the corner, you must go to Jestine's kitchen at 251 Meeting Street. The staff is wonderful and the food is perfection.

For all of it's hustle and bustle with tourism, you don't feel like you're in a tourist city. I ran every morning around the battery and downtown Charleston and it was pure bliss to hear birds chirping and the waves lapping the battery wall.

There is so much to explore there and I did not see everything. Go to Charleston, you won't be disappointed.

2 Thank dtreski03
Missouri
4 helpful votes
“Charming place but very busy”
Reviewed 21 March 2009

Charleston has so much to see and do, especially if you're a history buff. There's great shopping, dining, and friendly southern hospitality. The streets are quite busy though so if you're driving, make sure it's a smaller car. If you're looking for a place to visit, I recommend Charleston, South Carolina.

2 Thank twister8263
Atlanta, GA
5 helpful votes
“Dining in Charleston - Two Thumbs Up”
Reviewed 4 March 2009

Just finished a restaurant marathon in Charleston last weekend (Feb 27-Mar 1). I was the reluctant traveler but came away thoroughly impressed. Friday night dinner was at "Coast" and it was the best. There were two of us and we ate at the bar. Parker was the bartender/waiter and he and the other guys behind the bar were fantastic. The scallops wrapped in bacon were delicious as was the rare tuna entree. For the rest of the weekend every place we ate we compared to Coast.
Saturday had lunch at 39 Rue (very good) and dinner at the Charleston Grill. If you like stuffy it's the place to go. The food is very good, I'm just a more casual kind of girl. Sunday brunch was at Magnoia's. Great shellfish over grits dish and white tablecloth without the attitude. I think that Coast and Magnolia's are a must for dining in Charleston. Can't wait to return.

3 Thank Ida_Bea_Goinow

Been to Charleston? Share your experiences!