“Love to stay at the James Martin Inn”

Clemson University's James F. Martin Inn
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Clemson
Fairfax, Virginia
“Love to stay at the James Martin Inn”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I have stayed at the Inn many times since my daughter enrolled at Clemson University. It is my preferred hotel in Clemson. The rooms are clean and if you are a member of the parent's club they offer a free night after you have stayed for five nights. They have a nice breakfast and always have a paper in the morning. I have eaten at the restaurant only once and it was just fair. You cannot beat the location right on campus, but still secluded and peaceful.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 16 March 2012

We stayed at the Inn as potential Clemson Tigers and got a discounted rate. It is in a lovely setting with a view of the lake and very close to campus with no traffic to deal with. The suite we were given was huge and I wished we were spending more than one night there! We had a bedroom with two queen sized beds, bathroom, separate sink area, living room and kitchenette all for the same price as the chain hotels in town. Quite the deal and the beds were comfortable. Now for the negative. Folks in this hotel do not know how to quietly close doors! From 6:30 a.m. on we were treated to "slam" "slam" "slam" as people left their rooms and just let the doors swing shut behind them. Grrrr. Then we went to breakfast and there was very little space for an inn of this size. I can't imagine what it's like during a busy game weekend. The food choices were very poor. Except for the waffle iron, there were no hot items available. (there was a microwave and toaster). No protein options for breakfast-not even the fake powdered eggs you get at a lot of chain hotel breakfasts. We almost left except we didn't have time to go find someplace else to eat before our tour. The folks at the front desk when we checked in were O.K. I wouldn't say they went out of their way with warm Southern charm and when our toilet clogged their solution was to bring me a plunger and let us fix it and then leave the plunger in the hallway!!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank cardbucfan
Pinopolis, SC
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Stay at the James Martin Inn when I am in town on business. Great rooms, breakfast and friendly service! Love Season's by the Lake too!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Austin
Reviewed 17 January 2012

We stayed at the Martin Inn while visiting family in Clemson for Thanksgiving. The room was very nice and the location outstanding. I am rating this 'average' because, location aside, the accommodation was average for this price point. The 'fix it yourself' breakfast did have microwave breakfast sandwiches and a waffle machine in addition to cereal and pastries.

My only complaint is that the rooms' doors are very noisy, a fact that became very obvious as a visiting basketball team was checking out before 7AM on our first morning. Ask if there will be a big group checking out early during your stay.

Room Tip: Ask if there will be a big group checking out early during your stay.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank k5tm
NC
Reviewed 30 July 2011

My daughter & I stayed here while my son attended baseball camp at Clemson. Stayed in a 2 room suite overlooking golf course - gorgeous view. Feel in love with the quaint town of Clemson !!! Friendly southern charm. Our hotel stay was average. Pros: Large Room - close to University - extremely friendly and helpful front desk staff - friendly cleaning staff. Cons: Room needed deep clean, pink mold in shower - exhaust fan kicked on every time you turned on light in bathroom and it sounded like a jet engine - enough noise to induce headache when showering. This room had an ajoining door to suite beside us and we could hear EVERYTHING in next room b/c of that... not cool !! Also, we did use the pool one day and only one day because it was EXTREMEMLY dirty.

Room Tip: If you choose a suite make sure it doesn't have the option to adjoin with neighboring suite.
6 Thank familyof4Nc
Ohio
Reviewed 7 July 2011

We stayed July 1st thru July 3rd for a wedding. The rooms were very clean and offered a wonderful view of the lake. The complimentary breakfast was a great amenity. The staff at this hotel were friendly and very helpful. Computers in the lobby helped with boarding pass printing, email and facebook viewing.

The reception was at the Mandarin Center which is attached to the hotel. First Class all the way.

Would stay again if we are in the area.

2 Thank rberger669
Ashburn, VA
Reviewed 6 July 2011

I stayed at the James Martin Inn while visiting Clemson for new student orientation, with my son. The inn is very close to Clemson, not close walking distance, but the orientation shuttle stopped at the inn so it was very convenient. Got a room with two queens on the first floor. I usually worry when staying in a non-chain if the beds will be comfortable ... nothing to worry about here! The Queen beds were VERY comfortable and came absolutely loaded with comfortable pillows. I appreciated the fridge/microwave, which came in handy for storing bottled water and making popcorn in the evenings as a snack. The room was spacious, and had a glass panel door that opened out onto a little patio area with a table and chairs - what a pleasant setup! The staff was very friendly and helpful. I got a newspaper at my door each morning. The wireless internet worked fine, and I printed our boarding passes for the trip home at a computer set up in the lobby - no problems there. The free continental breakfast was not an impressive array, but it was all I needed. The waffle irons worked great and made great waffles. Coffee, tea, couple of juices, yogurt, instant oatmeal, fruit, cereal, and breads, all were just fine. My son liked the donuts. There was also hot entrees, looked like biscuits and gravy, but I didn't try those. One morning it was crowded at the tables and I saw a sign saying there was more seating outside. Wish I'd seen it sooner! Nice table/chairs on the patio with a view of the lake behind the hotel - very pleasant for breakfast with a newspaper. The fitness room was small, but set up just fine - an elliptical, a recumbent bike, and a weight tower, a TV, and a water cooler. There were cookies in the lobby in the evening (very tasty ones!). There was plenty of parking around the hotel. The price was very good (better than the hotel chain we stayed in during our prior visit), it had everything I needed, all was clean, the whole hotel smelled good, it was a very relaxing and pleasant stay and I definitely hope to be able to stay there in the future.

The A/C system in the room makes a dramatic difference when on/off. I had a hard time finding a just-right setting. I got cold when it was on, and warm when it cycled off. But I've run into that at hotels before, and it's not enough to deter me from staying at a wonderful hotel! I also wish I could book a room online in an automated system like the chains, instead of having to email or call, but that won't stop me from reserving again either.

1 Thank Barefoot4