“Very convenient when visiting Clemson University”

Clemson University's James F. Martin Inn
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Clemson
Reviewed 14 May 2014

This is a wonderful place to stay when visiting the Clemson campus. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Only two issues with this hotel. A complimentary continental breakfast is provided with the room but it is not nearly as substantial as one provided by chain hotels such as Hampton or Holiday Inn. Also, request a room on the lake side to avoid the lobby's a/c unit noise and request a room that is not a connecting room. A lot of noise transmits through the door.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rivtuck
ClemsonCCI, Guest Relations Manager at Clemson University's James F. Martin Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Thanks so much for your review! We have taken your concerns into account and are pleased to inform you that as of July 1, 2014 hotel guests receive complimentary hot breakfast. Also, we are undergoing renovations for all our hotel rooms this year that will fix the noise issue. We look forward to seeing you soon!

Reviewed 18 April 2014

The Hotel is located directly on the campus of Clemson University. The front desk was extremely nice. Even called the dinning-room to tell them to stay open a little longer since we were checking in so late (10:30 pm). The suite rooms are huge and very affordable. Two queen beds, a separate living area with a pull out couch and a TV with DVR. A dining area along with a small kitchen area. Again, great value.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank David G

Thanks for your kind review, David! We look forward to serving your family again very soon.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

Great experience. The three times I've stayed here were all for business conferences and I'm glad this place was chosen. Great location out of the "college scene" of Clemson proper. It offers clean comfortable rooms, excellent service from staff, and very good food at the restaurant. It's also very convenient to the Clemson Golf Course which we also enjoyed.

When I get to stay here for personal time off I plan to bring my fishing gear since their is ample lakeshore around the property.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Bartemus

Bartemus, thank you so much for your review of the James F. Martin Inn. We treasure our opportunity to serve our guests and cannot wait to see you again soon!

Reviewed 24 February 2014

As I've visited Clemson over the last 3 years my son has been a student I have come to stay at The James Martin Inn several times. The staff is terrific. They make you feel at home. The grounds are beautiful with many rooms overlooking the lake. The golf course is nearby. The restaurant has good food and a nice group working there. Is it the 'be all, end all' of hotels. No. It is, however a nice property. It supports a good size compliment of workers. It has an easy going way about it that is consistent with the Clemson way. Sure there are some draw backs. No room service and no late night bites. Overall it's a nice place with the right amount of Clemson vibe. Close to town, close to tailgating, a decent golf course and a great group of people.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Chip D

Chip, thank you so much for helping us improve at the James F. Martin Inn. We appreciate your encouragement and concerns. We actually do offer room service, however, and hope you'll try it the next time you visit with us! See you soon!

Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

As I visited the Clemson I decided to stay on campus for location purposes and for the full college experience. I was disappointed with the hotel. It is defiantly time for a renovation and some updates. I would only stay there again for convenience but not for the atmosphere.

Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Lauren W
ClemsonCCI, Public Relations Manager at Clemson University's James F. Martin Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Thank you for your feedback. Great news! We are happy to announce that we are in the process of a full renovation. Come back soon and see the new and exciting changes taking place at Clemson's very own James F. Martin Inn.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

I spent 2 nights here last weekend (Nov 9-11, 2013) clean hotel, great staff and beautiful grounds. Golf course on site looks beautiful. The only reason it did not get 5 stars- continental breakfast that came with our room was pretty scarce- we got there with an hour and a half to go with the breakfast buffet and there was next to nothing to choose from- fresh fruit almost ALL gone, no yogurt, you could get a waffle, plain bagel or cereal- muffins and pastries almost all gone too except for the big chocolate ones. Also fitness center- really small only 3 machines, no treadmill. And lastly, walls on the thin side, could hear our neighbors and their alarm clock even woke me up - I was trying to figure out how to shut it off when I realized it wasn't mine! However, room nice size- had a micro and mini fridge (which did hum a bit), bathroom nice size and the proximity to campus great. The best thing about this hotel- the BEDS were GREAT!

Room Tip: make sure you are away from elevator
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank GET_TRAVELING247

We have listened to your feedback and made some adjustments. We now offer a full hot breakfast with your stay (Up to two complimentary per room night) and children under 5 eat free. We have also completed renovations on our fitness studio. We have enlarged the fitness studio and have furnished the room with new equipment. We are currently in the process of room renovations-- complete with sound proofing efforts! Thank you for your suggestions in making our property even better.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

The James F. Martin Inn is attached to the Clemson University Conference Center and was recommended to me by the staff at Clemson. I'm sure they've never stayed here however. The first room I was given when I arrived after 10 PM was on the ground floor and had an exterior door to the grounds of the Inn. A single female traveler doesn't necessarily prefer this type of room for security reasons. Food service ends at 10 PM, so no dinner or snack was available for this weary traveler. Additonally, the room had adjoining room access and I could easily hear the T.V. and phone conversation the next door guest was having. So I went back to the desk and asked to change rooms. Fine and well. I was given a different room on the 4th floor also facing Hartwell Lake and a lovely morning scene. No next door neighbors the first night. Not so the second night. My new neighbors had their T.V. on and I was able to hear it very well until around 11 PM when they finally turned it off after I knocked on the adjoining room door and asked them politely to turn it down. I had to turn the room fan on all night so as not to hear corridor noise and my neighbors. In addition the tub drained very slowly and by the end of my shower, I was standing in ankle-high water. No breakfast room service - must go to the hotel restaurant and there is an upcharge for the hot items while the cold items are complimentary. I don't want to insult my Clemson hosts with the truth about the hotel they recommended, but I won't rebook here for my follow-up visit later in the year. There is a new Courtyard by Marriott very close by. I don't know if the view is as lovely, but I'm more interesting in getting a full night's sleep.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business