“Perfect hotel!”

Ranked #1 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Coral Springs, Florida
“Perfect hotel!”
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

Traveling with needy elderly parents and yellow lab, welcoming, kind, great suite over looking the lake. Wonderful foot paths around lake and neighborhoods, perfect for dog but for kids as well, playground! Perfect for athletes wanting a good run. After dinner we came in to freshly baked cookies. This is a keeper!

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Wannastay
MellisaAyer, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Columbia-I-26 Harbison Boulevard, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
We are so glad you had the opporutnity to stay with us while visiting Columbia, SC. We'd like to believe we are a perfect fit for the entire group. We hope you will come back and enjoy our master suite again soon!

Director of Sales

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Pittsburgh
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We frequently travel north/south on I77 stopping around Columbia SC overnight. Since we now travel with a dog in tow, we need a pet friendly hotel and cannot stop at the Hampton we used to make our regular way point. The Harbison Blvd Hampton is an ideal stopping place for someone traveling with a pet in many ways. The rooms are nice, the usual Hampton perks such as breakfast and coffee are there. In addition it is situated near a little park with a walking path around a lake which is perfect for walking a dog and stretching our legs after a long drive. We liked it so much we drove 10 miles out of our way to stop here since we started traveling with the poodle. We had stayed here 4 or 5 times without any issue at all. There are always a number of other travelers coming and going with their dogs, too.

Last week, we checked in at 4 pm. I had forgotten the wifi password and while I was on the phone to the desk to get instructions, people coming and going slammed doors. Woof ! Woof! My dog let out two barks to alert me to the problem. That's it, 2 barks. we were on her in a flash to stop the bark but it was 4 pm so we were not overly concerned. A few minutes later we received a call from the desk asking if our dog had barked because there had been a complaint. Yes, she had. We promised to keep her quiet.

By six pm, with not another peep out of her, we decided to leave because we could not guarantee that the dog would not utter a sound for the next 12 hours and we certainly were not going to get a night's sleep worrying about it.

The staff offered to try to relocate us on another floor but by then we had repacked the car.

Here is what I don't understand. Why doesn't this pet friendly hotel have a pet-friendly wing(s) and pet-free wing(s) rather than placing a guest who requires absolute silence at 4 pm next to a room with a dog who may bark occasionally when doors are slammed and there is general commotion? If they attempt to do that and only have a pet room left when a non pet person arrives wanting a room, then they could tell the guest, they may hear a woof now and then. I think that could solve the problem for both parties.

Meanwhile, we are sorry to losing our formerly favorite pet friendly hotel.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sally C
MellisaAyer, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Columbia-I-26 Harbison Boulevard, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
We are sorry to hear we will no longer be a first choice for your travel to Columbia, SC. We do appreciate all of your loyalty thus far. Becoming a pet friendly hotel was a great opportunity for us and we do feel it offers our families with pets a refreshing option. We strive hard to make sure all of our guest are comfortable and happy with our accommodations and service. With offering the Hampton 100% satisfaction guarantee, we guarantee all of our guest will have a pleasant experience regarding all aspects, and we take this promise to heart.

With no pet fees or breed restrictions at times we have many pets in house, and adhere to our terms and conditions found in our pet policy welcome letter. We feel by not having a designated spot for pet rooms we are able to maintain a clean and happy environment for all of our guest and our pets. However, we do offer a pet free floor for those guest who would prefer this location. If you would like to provide any additional feedback to our management staff we invite you to reach out to us directly so we may evaluate your situation uniquely and perhaps we may gain back your loyalty. We wish you well in the meantime.

Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

Just an average place to stay...clean and comfortable (except for hallway carpets...they did not look to be clean) a beautiful walk around the adjoining lake is perfect for stretching your legs and getting some fresh air after a long drive. Nice little playground for the kids as well on the lake walk. This feature makes me want to stop again. Typically loyal to Marriott brand but will return to this Hampton when passing through Columbia.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for giving the Hilton brand an opportunity to host you. We can appreciate loyalty programs and know both Hilton and Marriott offers there travels something unique on both sides. Sounds like overall you enjoyed your stay and experience with our award winning hotel. If there is any additional feedback you would like to share with our management team as to how we could have earned a five star review we do invite you to reach out to us direct. Again, we appreciate you choosing to stay with us and for taking a moment to share a review.

Safe travels,

greenville, United States
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Great hotel! We stayed at this location due to a military event for my daughter. While she was busy, my other children enjoyed biking, fishing, swimming, and strolling around the lake! Great staff, great breakfast! Will return!!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Hello SandraM,

It is so awesome you chose to stay with us while on military travel with your family, we are glad we had a part of it all. We thank your daughter for all her services! There is plenty to offer a family with some downtime, besides our hotel amenities, one would find Frankie's Fun Park, 2 movie theaters, bowling, mall and much more just minutes away. We look forward to welcoming your family back again soon.
Best wishes,

Barnwell, United States
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Lobby personnel were friendly and helpful. Room was clean and relaxing. Had everything I needed. Having complimentary coffee available at all times (Lobby) was wonderful! The complimentary breakfast had a wide variety of choices...not just a bunch of pastries. Wish I could have stayed longer!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thank you AnnT for your 5 star review. We are so thankful you chose to stay with us while traveling for we know there are many options to choose from. We wish you could have stayed with us longer too, come back again soon!

Take care,

Oak Ridge, New Jersey
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Let me start by saying this hotel is easy to get to, though GPS helps, and it is clean and attractive in a fairly standard Hampton way. Staff was pleasant and got us checked in quickly. The room was clean and very quiet, and all amenities were clean and working properly.
My wife and I had a difference of opinion on my two fairly minor complaints, which she said were nothing. You can judge if they would bother you. First, upon checkout, the two women at the desk were carrying on fairly animated, loud conversations with male guests loitering at the desk. The conversations continued as we checked in, distracting both the desk clerks and me. As a former hotel employee, I believe that the guest(s) with whom you are conducting business should be your sole focus. Everything else should cease until you are finished. My second issue was that, upon returning to the hotel later in the evening, all I wanted was a cup of tea. There was no hot water urn and, after waiting 15 minutes, I gave up. The lack of a back-up switch out and assure little or no wait is just poor planning, resulting in poor service. My wife said I was too critical, however; she noted that her earlier tea water from the lobby urn tasted of coffee. She can't stand coffee, so that was inexcusable to her.
As I said, our issues were minor and may not bother others, but I also know I am not the pickiest traveler out there. Overall our experience was very good.
To return to a high point in closing, I stupidly left a couple of good shirts in the closet, and didn't realize it until we were all the way up to Maryland. My wife called and spoke to Laura, who very nicely located the shirts and arranged to mail them to me, tacking the postage onto our credit card charge. She must have handled it immediately since I got the shirts in good condition one business day afterward. Many thanks.
BTW, this property is close to a number of dining choices, as well as the plethora of shopping centers along Harbison. This will be a top choice for future visits to Columbia.

Room Tip: Even rooms near ice and vending are quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear HowlnBubba,

We are grateful you took a moment to share your experience with us and all of our viewers. We like to know about all guest experiences, no matter how particular they may be. It takes all suggestions to keep us at the top, as our property is always a high ranking award winning hotel within the Hampton brand. We are glad to hear the accommodations and overall service et your needs. We do encourage our staff to be playful and always remind them no matter what, they are always on stage. We have already shared your observations and experience with the team as an opportunity to learn. We do hope you will plan to return again soon.

Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We had 4 families staying one night, on a Friday evening, when traveling from TN before we headed to the beach the next day. We booked 4 rooms and when we arrived we found an absolutely unique hotel tucked in against a lake, with a park-like setting. The outdoor area had a wonderful medium sized pool tucked in against an outdoor grilling/living room type area, replete with outdoor fireplace and big screen TV under a cabana-like area with great couches and chairs. A great family setting and very close to things like the mall and Greenwoods discount wine, but in a nicely quieted setting due to the large number of trees that line the roads.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear auklazer,

We couldn't have described our hotel any better ourselves-thank you for your kind review. Many times our guest are surprised to find our quiet little hotel to be such a retreat in the middle of such a busy exit. It really is all you need. You should see the lake in the fall! Please know you're welcome back anytime!

Safe travels,