“Convenient and quiet” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #41 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Franklin, North Carolina
“Convenient and quiet”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2012

My family of four stayed here in route to the beach. Per the polite clerk at check in, we had reserved the last available room. There were no bugs. Furniture was worn but clean. Although it was an older hotel it was very quiet. Breakfast was simple but adequate. The maintenance man held the back door open and was very polite as we checked out. Although we did not check out the mall or surrounding restaurants, the location appeared very convenient. I considered it an excellent choice for being under $100.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jonbell F, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Columbia Northwest/Harbison, responded to this review, 25 October 2012
Thank you for your survey. We take great pride in providing a clean room at an affordable price. Our staff members are always looking for an opportunity to go above and beyond, and provide our guest with an at home feel. We hope you all can return and stay with us again.

With kindest regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Cruising on a sailboat in FL Keys
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2012 via mobile

The hotel is convenient to I 26 so it was easy to pull off and find. We stayed in rm 318 for one night. The room was in decent condition. A few stains on the office chair, but nothing too objectionable. The front desk was prompt and professional taking less than 5 minutes from the time we walked in the door without a reservation to heading up to our room. The rooms have new fridges, microwaves, quiet window A/C and LG 32 inch flat screens with HD cable. Add in a very comfortable bed, good shower, complimentary breakfast, lots of parking and you have a winner. We used a coupon which made it even sweeter.

I would have given the property and excellent rating if the A/C hadn't been left running full blast so that when we walked in, everything was cold and clammy. Once we turned it off conditions improved rapidly amd within an hour everything was fine. We will stay here again if our travels bring us into the area.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
We really appreciate your kind words, I appologise for the A/C, it gets really hot here in Columbia, so we want to make sure our guest find a cool climate upon check in. Hope you all can come back and see us again soon, we are getting ready to begin a full rooms renovation.

Charleston, West Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2012

My wife and I stayed at this Fairfield Inn on the way to Florida, and immediately decided to stay there on the way back based upon our experience. We had none of the problems with odor or bugs noted elsewhere. The front office staff is remarkable, friendly, helpful, engaging. There is a pantry in the lobby that has more than the usual cookies, snacks, etc. They have meals for microwaving in the room, so if you get in late and need some dinner and things are closed, you are set. There were apparently microwaves and refrigerators in each room. Breakfast was free, excellent and suited for all travelers. Diabetic? They have sugar free syrup for the waffles you make. Trouble with regularity? They have not only regular fat free yogurt, but also have Activia, which is rather pricey. Also have hard boiled eggs presealed in plastic wrap produced elsewhere, good looking fruit, hot and cold cereal, good coffee, very unusual for this sort of place. The room was clean, the bed extremely comfortable (my wife looked at the mattress to see what it was, hoping to switch to that brand when time to change our own at home). It's near some decent restaurants, and be sure to try the Carolina Ale House across the street, which stays open late seven days week. Also note this hotel did not charge us for any "incidentals." No idea where that one came from . For the price, can't miss.

Room Tip: No suggestions; the whole place is very quiet.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank You So Much for your survey, I will be sure to share it with all of my staff. We are getting ready to renovate all of our rooms, so we hope you all can come check us out again on your next trip south.

Providence, Rhode Island
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel for a quick weekend get away. The hotel's staff is one of the reasons I marked the hotel as a good hotel. They are a delight! The hotel itself is OK. You can tell it is an older hotel including the room decor. Our mattress was a bit lumpy and the AC is a window unit versus central air which made it difficult to regulate the temperature. The locations great including a mall, every restaurant you could imagine and a movie theater. If you are looking for a quick visit and inexpensive then this hotel should be fine. I would not recommend for long stays.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for taking the time to complete a review. We are getting ready to complete a room renovation, and hope you all can come stay with us again so you can see the changes.

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2012

Location is convenient to all the shopping, and the desk clerk was nice. However, the room was damp and had a musty yet slightly sweet smell. We thought it was a weird smell, but we were so tired that we put it aside. We had a terribly restless night, so we were up early and as I woke up, I found a bug on my pillow. We quickly grabbed one of those plastic bags you put ice in, and grabbed up the bug. When I got home, I called a professional exterminator and took the bug to him to identify it. He said it was definitely an adult bed bug and that I should call the hotel manager to alert him. In addition, we had to wrap our bags and clothes in plastic, wash everything in extremely hot water, get the car professionally cleaned, vacuum everything like there's no tomorrow, and we've been nervously watching for signs of other bugs. The exterminator said that there must be a bad infestation to find a bug crawling on a pillow after daylight, and that sweet musty/mildew like smell is a smell that comes from infestation. Needless to say, I called to tell the manager, but I called repeatedly over the course of a week. I talked to an assistant manager, but the manager wouldn't return my calls. Finally he left a message on my phone saying that they don't have any bed bugs at his hotel and we must have picked the bug up somewhere else.

After no satisfaction from the hotel management, I called Columbia DHEC, and they said they don't check hotels for cleanliness or bed bugs. In fact, no one monitors hotels! You stay at your own risk, and no agency checks up on them. I can understand that hotels may occasionally have to deal with a few bed bugs, but if a hotel gets an infestation, which takes time to develop, then they are not taking responsibility or precautions for routinely and frequently inspecting and cleaning. This has been a nightmare, and the manager's arrogant attitude certainly hasn't made it any better. Obviously, we will never stay there again, and I will be extremely careful to check under the mattress and box spring and behind the headboard from now on.

1 Thank gbb2013
Jonbell F, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Columbia Northwest/Harbison, responded to this review, 29 October 2012
I arrived early on a Monday morning to find an email from a guest stating they had stayed in our hotel, and they had captured a bed bug before checking out of the hotel. They stated they had it professionally inspected when they arrived back in Greenville that night. I attempted to call the number provided in the voicemail, but the number was no longer in service. We called in exterminators to check the room they said they were in, and nothing was found We also incurred the high cost of the inspection as well as treatment of the room, just in case this guest was carrying the bugs with them.
The room number provided was not registered to the person leaving the voicemail, nor could I find where they were ever registered in our hotel. After several day's, I recieved another voicemail from this person, and they then provided another number. They were looking for compensation. I called several times hoping to speak to someone in person, as I was still curious about the name they were actually registered under. I left the person detailed information about our service's findings, as well as how to contact our corporate office if they should have any additional needs.I never heard anything else. I requested Trip Advisor to remove this post when I discovered it, as this person was not a registered guest, unfortunately they declined, stating they used proper protocol filing the complaint.
We strive as a Marriott hotel to meet and even exceed our guest expectations, and take these allegations very seriously. These bugs are in airports,(luggage handling) taxi's, car rentals etc. I advise anyone who may suspect they have stayed in a room with insects, to make the hotel aware immediately, It's to no ones advantage not to do so..
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2012

This hotel charges $20.00 on top of your room charge for "insidentals" when you check in even if you never purchase any insidentals. You have to call back to the hotel and complain go get a refund in the "next few days". What a RIP OFF. Avoid at all cost.

Room Tip: This hotel charges $20.00 on top of your room charge for "insidentals" when you check in e...
1 Thank Bud R
I would like to say how sorry I am that you experienced issues, unfortunately, this happens all too often. We have never charged anyone additional monies for the incidental authorization. This occurs automatically when checking into a hotel, or when buying gas. It's never the hotel that is holding money, it is in fact your financial institution. This can be especially time consuming in correcting in cases where persons use their Debit cards for such transactions.
We have detailed information about authorizations at the desk, and make a point to go over those in detail when someone uses debit cards. We always gladly provide release forms to any guest that can not wait for their banks to release the hold.
Again I am sorry for your experience, if there's anything I can do to make up for your experience, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

Stopped here on our way to Savannah, Georgia. The location is great, next to Mcallisters deli, Five guys and several others-all within walk g distance. Hotel is clean and desk clerk was very nice. The mall is right behind hotel which is nice. Highly recommend this hotel, great value and great stay.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We really appreciate your feedback, please come see us again soon.

With kindest regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Columbia
Holiday Inn Express Columbia I-26 at Harbison Boulevard
TownePlace Suites Columbia Northwest/Harbison
Comfort Suites at Harbison
Comfort Suites at Harbison
#30 of 94 in Columbia
Wingate by Wyndham Columbia/Harbison
Residence Inn Columbia Northwest/Harbison
Hilton Garden Inn Columbia - Harbison

Been to Fairfield Inn Columbia Northwest/Harbison? Share your experiences!