“You get what you pay for”

Extended Stay America - Columbia - West
Ranked #72 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Columbia, South Carolina
“You get what you pay for”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2011

I stayed here for a week while waiting for another property to open up with a vacancy. This place was not my first choice and it will not be my first choice in the future.

First, the customer service was lacking. Upon check in we waited for sometime while the girl at the desk handled several things at once. She seemed very overwhelmed. The rooms are very basic with no frills at all. They seemed to be fairly clean and suitable to fulfill your basic needs. When I first walked into the room it smelled from the last guest. It was a smell that was fairly strong and did not seem to fade. The trash at the corners of the halls seemed to accumulate very quickly and was not taken out on a regular basis. The outside access to rooms is not a desirable quality for those who are looking for security. Its a very inexpensive place to stay and not much else.

BOTTOM LINE: There are no extras here. You get what you pay for and it's not much. I would not stay at this property again if the other extended stay properties were available.

Room Tip: There is no elevator at the property. First floor rooms are easiest to get too, but not the most sec...
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank PandJAllen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Columbia, South Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

Found a roach in my room around the 4th day of my stay. The bedspread had
several cigarette holes in it eventhough I am in a smokeless room. People roaming around outside with their doors open and drinking alcohol.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
festus, mo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2011

I came to columbia, SC for a job. My apartment my company was putting me in was not ready yet so they reserved me a hotel for a couple of nights. The first thing was I walked in the Lobby to a businessman yelling at the desk clerk bc internet was down. They did not seem to care that it was down. With an extended stay that is a problem now days with many business people needing internet to work or communicate. I walked in to the room and it stunk! the floor was nasty-did not want to walk barefoot. the kitchen was not clean. I even saw on the carpet what looked like blood stains. There appeared to be mold or mildew on the mattress. I slept horrible. Me and my boyfriend both felt like things were crawling on us all night. and with the bed bug scare going on right now. i was nervous. The next morning i called my company and requested they switch me hotels. they did! They had no idea the hotel was this bad.

Room Tip: Don't come here
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
oceanside, ca
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2011

Use caution when reserving this property! Bed has no Blanket! Weekend trash piles up all weekend. Shower volume is equal to that of a fire hydrant, I thought the South was in the middle of a drought! So much water comes out of shower head that it leaks all over the bathroom and adjoining kitchen floor. When asking for 1 aditional pillow (the room had 2) the front desk said they had none and would have none. We have stayed at Extended Stay properties before but this one needs to be avoided until management puts some effort into it.
Caution, Caution, Caution.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Beaverton, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2011

This place was absolutely disgusting...the worst Extended Stay I've EVER stayed at! The first room I was put in had questionable dark stains on the carpet and chair (I swear they were dried blood; I don't know what else they could have possibly been), the toilet and tub we're dirty, and there were BUGS. I was afraid to lay my infant daughter on the bed...there were several cigarette burns in the sheets, and the pillow cases were dirty. The stove was clean enough, but the freezer door was stuck shut. When I opened it, it looked like something had melted in there? I complained, and was moved to another room.

the next room was much better, compared to the first, but it still wasn't as clean as it should be. i still wouldn't lay my daughter directly on the bed, and i slept in my clothes. it was bad enough having to put my head/face on the pillow =/ the bathroom and kitchen were clean enough. i wish i'd taken pictures; from now on, i'm going too!

DO NOT STAY HERE! I booked it because I get coupons thru my email, and have never had a bad experience with ESA...but I'm never staying at one again. Screw the $20 back. I'd rather pay more for a good hotel.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank MommyMarcelino
Augusta, GA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2009

as my title reads,k I waas very pleased with my room. We got a deal on the room at 1/2 price which I thouhgt was awesome. The room had a small kitchen in it with a 2-burner stove, which I thouhg was great because I could spend under 5 dollars and buy eggs, bread and grits and make a nice breakfast, which covers for the missing contenintal(however you spell it) breakfast. It was MUCH nicer than the Scottish Inn that we were going to stay in(it looked ragedly from the outside).The only thing I didn't like was the fact that I had to pay 4.99 for wi-fi, but other than that I would Definitey stay here againg an I would rec. it to anyone. B Blessed

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
south carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2008

the management is very very bad. i am going to file a discrimination report. one of the manager has judged people by race, sex origin, and age. other managers left to fill in for him were also poor managers. by this i mean they was given orders to lock people out without a key to let them back in. my son has been locked out for 2 nights, the front desk set and talked on the phone with several of there friends for approx. 4 hours while attempting to so calling the manager. i have no idea who is in charge. my son sat for 8 hours withoput any food or clean clothing. they would not or could not let him in the room because of ADAM. I also know that money is misssing from the register because of ADAM, by overhearing conversations by phone .overhearing converstation by ADAM talking to him friends, the management has left employees and customers ifo out for the public to view

• Disliked — poor management
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank redreed4401