“Management Turns a Frown Upside Down”

Courtyard Columbia Northeast / I-77
Ranked #40 of 93 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Visiting Columbia for grandson's graduation from USC. Made reservations many months in advance. Checked in and asked for upgrade since we are platinum. Advised no upgrades available but they would put us in a nice room. AC was very noisy and I advised front desk. They were to have engineer check it out. Returned later that night and AC still very noisy. Called front desk and was advised engineer gone home for the day even though they had advised him of a problem with this room the day before. After a miserable night I met front desk manager. She took charge of the problem. Moved us to a suite, comped our breakfast and apoligized for our problems. Good recovery and ownership of the problem and happy customers as a result.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank William H
Erin T, Manager at Courtyard Columbia Northeast / I-77, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear William H,

Good afternoon and thank you for sharing your honest travel experience with us on TripAdvisor! We also want to thank you for being a Marriott Rewards member.

While I am saddened to hear about the inconveniences you experienced regarding your air conditioner during your stay, I am thrilled to hear that our management was able to rectify the situation to your satisfaction. We understand that when traveling our guests require a safe and comfortable environment and in the end this is what you found while staying at the Courtyard by Marriott Columbia Northeast/I-77.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future. Until then, take care!

Reviewed 7 May 2014

We were very well greeted by Glynnisia the night of our check-in. She was very caring and when we inquired about dinner. She not only recommended a great restaurant but also, called them to make a reservation for us and printed out the directions. Many 5-star hotels I have stayed at have not been so kind and helpful.
Thank you Glynnisia for making us feel welcome.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank bitloo

Good afternoon bitloo!

We hope you are well in Toronto today! Glynnisia is one of our many shining stars here at the Courtyard by Marriott Columbia Northeast/I-77. We are very proud of the way our staff goes above and beyond for each guest to show them the true meaning of "Southern Hospitality". Our main priority is guest service excellence and I will make sure that Glynnisia is aware that she exceeded your expectations when it came to this!

We look forward to wlecoming you back the next time you're in the Columbia area!

Reviewed 1 May 2014

Had a great time staying at the courtyard Marriott. Everybody was friendly and always answered all our questions. Cassie was amazing! Really friendly and made us feel at home! I would recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: May 2014

Dear Mayra199,

We appreciate you taking time out to share your honest review with us as well as other travelers on TripAdvisor! We hope all is well in Houston!

Our staff strives to obtain complete guest satisfaction and the utmost in customer service excellence, and I am so happy to hear that this is exactly what you experienced! I will make sure that Cassie as well as our other staff are aware of the great job they did to welcome you to our Courtyard by Marriott family!

Thank you for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott Columbia Northeast/I-77 and we look forward to welcoming you back soon. Until then take care!

Reviewed 20 April 2014

My boyfriend and I decided to get away and stay here for the weekend, we chose to stay in the king spa room. Upon arriving, I noticed there was only ONE pillow on the bed, later we called to see if we could get more pillows and we were told, "Hold on we are currently trying to locate the pillows and we will call you back." We never got a call back. We eventually got pillows the next night when housekeeping came by. Our room was situated near the lobby and you can constantly hear music 24/7. The second night we stayed we tried to use the jacuzzi tub and it was NOT functioning whatsoever. Housekeeping is extremely persistent and will be by your room really early (9am) for us. It looks like they have a continental breakfast set up however in fine print it says $7.00 per person, which is a total rip since it's like cereal, muffins, and bagels. We arrived with one hour left of breakfast service and there was hardly anything left. You might as well spend less money and stay at the Best Western Plus on Two Notch Road, significantly better.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Emma D
Katie R, Manager at Courtyard Columbia Northeast / I-77, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Dear Emma D.,

I hope all is well in Charlotte, NC!

We regret to hear that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. We strive toward 100% complete guest satisfaction and are constantly working to reach this goal.

Regarding housekeeping, we ask that guests place the Do Not Disturb sign on the door. We have express checkout where guests can just leave the room keys in the room upon departure so we have no way of knowing if a guest has checked out. With a Do Not Disturb sign, housekeeping will check back later to clean the room once the sign is taken down by the guest. Also, all of our spas are and have been in working order. For proper function, we ask that guests wait for the tub to be filled before turning on the jets (there is a sign with instructions by the spa). If this is not done, then the spa will not work properly. We apologize for the lobby music being heard from your room. I have spoken to management to ensure that the volume stay at a low level as to not disturb guests.

We hate that you missed out on our amazing, mouth-watering breakfast. Last year, we were rated #7 in breakfast out of 880 Courtyard by Marriott hotels in the nation. Our shrimp and grits and made-to-order omelets by Chef Melanie are one of a kind and is the best breakfast that you will be able to find in Columbia. For only $5.95 (for the continental) & $7.95 (for the full buffet), our guests can see what all the rave is about. Our website clearly states the price of breakfast. Please feel free to let us know where the confusion lies so that we can make any necessary changes. We want to have clear communication and honesty with our guests.

We hope that you will give us a second chance and visit us again soon so that we can show you what southern hospitality is all about. Please contact me if I can assist with future reservations. I will be happy to personally coordinate your reservations, including breakfast. Until then, take care!

Yours in hospitality,

Katie Register
Katie.Register@marriott.com

Reviewed 15 April 2014

From checking-in to checking-out, this hotel made sure that I was comfortable and happy. very clean rooms and a very comfortable mattress. I slept like a baby. The happy hour in the lobby is a big plus. I will definitely stay here again if I 'm in the area.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Katie R, Manager at Courtyard Columbia Northeast / I-77, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Dear Brian K,

I hope all is well in Charleston!

Thank you very much for the raving review! We are so happy to hear that our staff showed you what true southern hospitality is all about and that you enjoyed our accommodations. We hope to welcome you back the next time you are in the Columbia area! Until then, take care!

Yours in hospitality,

Katie Register

Reviewed 5 April 2014

Stayed during the weekend. Representatives were very friendly and helpful when needed. Breakfast had all the varieties you could ask for. The social in the evenings during the workdays were very appreciated after a long day of work/business.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Erin T, Manager at Courtyard Columbia Northeast / I-77, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear Tung B,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful lodging experience with us as well as other travelers on Trip Advisor! We greatly appreciate your honest review.

We are thrilled to hear that our hotel as well as the staff exceeded your expectations. Customer service excellence and complete guest satisfaction is our main goal! We understand that before a long day a hearthy and healthy breakfast is important. I am pleased that you were able to take advantage of it along with other amenities we have to offer!

Thank you for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott Columbia Northeast/I-77. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 1 April 2014

We stayed at this property enroute to Florida from PA. What we found was an exceptionally clean Courtyard with very friendly, welcoming, and outgoing staff. Our room was spotless, the bed was very comfortable after nine hours of driving. We would recommend it for longer stays as well. We will make it a stop on our future travels to Florida.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Erin T, Manager at Courtyard Columbia Northeast / I-77, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Dear VetteMike,

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time in Columbia and we are so grateful that you took the time to share your experience with other travelers on Trip Advisor!

Our main priority is complete guest satisfaction, and I am delighted that this is exactly what you experienced during your stay. We take cleanliness as well as hospitality very seriously, and want to make sure all of our guests feel safe and welcome.

We hope that we can welcome you back soon, and thank you for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott Columbia Northeast/I-77! Until then, take care!