“This Marriott was not what I expected it to be!”

Courtyard Columbia Northeast / I-77
Ranked #40 of 93 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Spa did not work the water was cold. Also, the staff was rude at breakfast and you can only have 2 adults eat breakfast or they will charge you more. But, the breakfast was not all that for them to be trying to make you pay more.

Room Tip: Spa did not work the water was cold. Also, the staff was rude at breakfast and you can only have 2...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Erin T, Manager at Courtyard Columbia Northeast / I-77, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear lmaxvill,

Thank you for sharing your recent travel experience with us as well as other travelers on TripAdvisor! We appreciate the feedback you have shared and find it essential to providing all guests with the top-notch customer service we are known for.

I am, however, saddened to hear that you did not enjoy your overall stay. When purchasing our package that includes breakfast, our website is very clear that it only provides breakfast for up to two adults. We pride ourselves in providing our guests with a breakfast that is healthy as well as nutritious. In fact, our breakfast scores consistently higher than other Courtyard by Marriott properties across the nation.

I do understand the importance of maintaining our spa tubs, and I can assure you that our management team has thoroughly inspected each of them to ensure they are in working order. We hope that you will give us another chance to prove to you our commitment to guest service excellence next time you come to the Columbia area! Thank you for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott Columbia Northeast/I-77.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

I stayed at the Courtyard Marriott on the week of 6/14/2014. I don’t have a lot of experience with staying at hotels, but I would say this one is pretty average. It had a nice outdoor pool, and indoor spa, but there were no towels to use, this was about the afternoon and no one else were using these facilities. Good thing I brought my room towel. The AC/Fan in the room runs constantly and it is really loud. It does not have a feature to turn on if the room gets too hot, but it will keep the room cold. The hallways to the rooms, except for the lobby, are extremely hot. I was on the 3rd floor. The rooms were neat and clean. The bad part is there was, what looked like a cockroach scurry across my floor from where the fridge is, to the other side of the office desk. I am not joking here, it disappeared under the desk, but I only saw it once. The hotel staff were friendly, but not really knowledgeable about local hang out places like where is a good BBQ place to eat, or where is a fun bar to go to at night. Overall it was not a bad place to stay, and things like bugs just happen.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank jaded r
Katie R, Manager at Courtyard Columbia Northeast / I-77, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Dear Jaded R,

I hope all is well in beautiful Virginia! Thank you for taking the time to share you honest and opinionated review. We truly welcome and appreciate all feedback as 100% guest satisfaction and service excellence is our primary goal.

Just to update you on a couple of issues-- our A/C did in fact go out in the 3rd floor hallway. As I type this, we have a repair crew working on the units. Also, we have pest control company coming out to spray the entire hotel this week. We have them come out regularly for preventative maintenance, but as you stated it (unfortunately) can happen from time to time-- though very rarely! We thank you for your understanding and for bringing it to our attention. Regarding the pool/spa towels, I have spoken to our Accommodations Manager to ensure that our staff is replenishing the towels by the pool/spa at all times. We understand the inconvenience, and sincerely apologize.

On a last note, I have spoken with our front desk supervisor regarding local inquiries. We have some great hidden gems of restaurants and bars here in Columbia, SC, and am so disappointed the information was not passed along to you. In fact, we have a flier made of our favorites! We will make sure our staff is up-to-date on this information as some of these restaurants/bars are truly one of a kind!

We hope to welcome you back next time you are in the area so you can see for yourself our dedication to complete guest satisfaction. Please contact me at the email address listed below if I can personally assist in coordinating your future reservations. Thanks for your honesty and for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott Columbia Northeast/I-77. Until next time, take care!

Yours in hospitality,

Katie Register
Katie.Register@marriott.com

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Stayed two nights in 2 rooms side by side with Hubby and 2 almost grown sons! Were visiting family in the area for a high school graduation. Arrived around dinnertime on Friday evening. Nice rooms with plenty of space. Clean and bright, no complaints here. The hallways were very warm while waiting for the elevator to go to the lobby. Continental breakfast service was very convenient and more than adequate. enjoyed our stay and would return anytime!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Erin T, Manager at Courtyard Columbia Northeast / I-77, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear MYNATIVEBBB,

We are so appreciative of you taking the time to share with us your honest opinion of your recent stay! It has been proven that future guests love to hear what our previous guests are saying about our beautiful accommodations and top notch customer service!

We are thrilled that you enjoyed your overall stay and hope that you and your family will return and make us your #1 hotel choice when staying in Columbia!

Thank you for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott Columbia Northeast/I77 and we hope that we can welcome you back soon! Until then, take care.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Overall, the property is well located right off of the interstate and close to a Cracker Barrel and a couple of other restaurants. It was a long drive from Savannah after working all day. I was looking forward to a nice adult beverage and the Hummus plate offered in the Bistro, not realizing that the lobby wasn't updated. I made do with a bottle of water and some snacks 'cause I didn't feel like getting back in the car. In retrospect, I should have paid more attention to the description when I booked because Marriott typically shows which lobby's have been updated. I wasn't paying attention...

However, I was VERY pleasantly surprised that my room was updated. So if it came down to updating the lobby into the Bistro or updating the rooms, I'm glad that you chose to update the rooms! There is something about the bedding that is magical and I sleep like a baby each time... the mints left by housekeeping was a nice touch. The front desk staff was helpful and cheerful.

I'll return as it made my subsequent drive to Charlotte pretty easy from there rather than pushing to get there the previous night.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Dear Glassgal,

We are elated to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay and thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor and we hope all is well in Beaufort!

We remain 100% committed to providing the utmost in customer service excellence, I am so happy to hear that this is exactly what you experienced when staying with us! We also love our Marriott bedding and the comfort it provides our guests to make you feel at home!

Thank you again for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott Columbia Northeast/I-77 and I hope that we will see you again soon!

Reviewed 11 June 2014

As a Platinum Elite member I have had the opportunity to experience numerous Courtyard Hotels. This Columbia location is truly behind the curve and management is not the least bit interested in evolving.
1. No Bistro? Hotel has not been remodeled yet (this included rooms and lobby) What are they waiting for?
2. Wall A/C w/out a thermostat. This means either you leave it on all night or turn it off, either way it makes for a less than average experience.
3. A/C did not work well, and emitted out an unpleasant smell. This was confirmed by a front desk associate who came up to bring some air freshener. There were no additional rooms available.
4. Day 1, I returned to the room and it was not cleaned. After calling downstairs to have this corrected while I went out for Dinner, I was informed that Cleaning staff was not available and my room would not be attended to, till the following day. Really? Front Desk staff could not handle? Where is the initiative...? I’m sure front staff could have taken out the trash, brought towels and made the bed, but they did not offer or handle.
5. No this is petty, but I enjoy water in the workout facility. This is the first I have come across w/out a water dispenser in the Gym. Little things do matter though.

I have not received a call from management, I have however filled out the courtesy card in the room and now this. Needless to say the visit did not live up to my past experiences with Courtyards..

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank ggarz
Erin T, Manager at Courtyard Columbia Northeast / I-77, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Good morning ggarz,

I hope all is well in Texas today and you are able to stay cool! I am extremely saddened to hear that you did not enjoy your overall stay. Our main goal is 100% guest satisfaction, and I can see we did not acheive this with your stay.

In regards to our rooms, we actually completed a renovation less than a year ago, and are very proud of the beautiful outcome! During the hot, humid summers here in the south, sometimes air conditioners do have to work a little harder, and I apologize for any inconvenience the noise from it may have caused. We have our engineer looking into it to make sure no further issues arise from it.

I am sorry that we are not able to offer water in the workout facility, but we do have two water fountains directly outside of it for our guests' enjoyment. We know after a great workout hydration is key!

Ggraz, Again I am extremely sorry for the circumstances surrounding your stay, but I am glad that our General Manager has been in contact with you to come to a personal service resolution. We hope that you will give us another chance in the future to show you our commitment to guest service excellence. Thank you for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott Columbia Northeast/I77

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Great Job by the staff! The family had two rooms for family. The rooms were very clean rooms! Great Breakfast! Very nice place to stay! It was actually a well done suites, with a full kitchen with granite counter tops and a living room with a bog flat screen TV.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Mike D,

We are extremely proud of the recent beautification process our sleeping rooms went through and glad that you enjoyed your room. Thank you for sharing your wonderful sentiments with us and future guests on TripAdvisor!

One of our top priorities is overall guest satisfaction, and I am thrilled that we were able to achieve this with your family's stay. It is our hope that we will continue to be your choice for travel in the Columbia, SC area.

Thank you for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott Columbia Northeast/I-77. We look forward to seeing you back soon!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

My job requires me to travel a lot for business. I've been to many hotels and experienced many levels of service. The people at this location in Columbia off i-77 are the best I have met anywhere in the country. They are the friendliest and most helpful people I've ever met. The rooms are clean as you would expect. The hotel is well maintained as you would expect. The pool area as well as the grounds are very well maintained as you would expect. However, you do not expect the level of courteousness and out right kindness as you find at this location. They take service to a whole other level. Every other Courtyard, Marriott Resort and every other hotel chain should take a page from their book. They are the best!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank WorldTvlr

Dear WorldTvlr,

It is with our delight to read your amazing, honest review! We thank you from the bottom of our hearts for sharing your recent stay with us and other travelers on TripAdvisor.

Our management builds our Courtyard family as to offer our guests the best that there is in customer service. We want our guests to arrive and get a true feeling of what "Southern Hospitality" is like, and we appreciate you taking note of this!

Our wonderful amenities matched with our amazing staff makes our hotel a shining star in the Columbia area. Thank you again for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott Columbia Northeast/I-77 and we look forward to seeing you again soon!