“Pleasantly surprised - way better than I thought after reading these”

Sleep Inn near Ft. Jackson
Ranked #50 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
Traverse City, MI
“Pleasantly surprised - way better than I thought after reading these”
Reviewed 16 March 2009

I was concerned after reading the reviews on here and was pleasantly surprised. We had three rooms for our son's graduation from Ft. Jackson and all three were clean, had ample supplies and working features. The beds were comfortable and had more than one pillow. The hot water took a little time (maybe 1-2 min) but then was very hot and excellent water pressure. The breakfast wasn't gourmet but we all had enough to eat and the staff was attending to it constantly. The location and price were good and the staff was friendly. It was quiet, we didn't hear other resident's nor the highway which is right outside. It's not a $100.00/night 5 star hotel but then I guess you shouldn't expect that for the price. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Maryland
Reviewed 3 March 2009

The positive was the new flat screen TV that worked, had toilet paper, towels (although not enough for 4 persons) and eventually the hot water.
We have stayed in many Choice Hotels and this was worse than worse in conditions. We stopped here as we were tired and traveling late at night. The countertop around the sink in our bathroom was very dirty, huge gap at entrance to room door as you could see light and place your finger in the gap, toilet paper holder only 1/2 there (but we did have toilet paper) and the morning continental breakfast was disgusting. Filthy conditions, no cereal, batter for waffles was not mixed properly and would not make waffles as we know them, no forks, no spoons, napkins, warm coffee, cold hot water (to make oatmeal and grits), noone behind desk, but a party going on in the backroom with lots of laughing , the kitchen door was open and it was a disgusting mess--nothing clean and really grossed us out. The public bathrooms by the eating facilities did not have hand soap. There was no hand soap in the rooms, either. Just one bottle of shampoo......

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
Hagerstown, Maryland
Reviewed 16 February 2009

We've always been pleased with Sleep Inns. Not this one. Very poor management is evident. Incompetent maintenance. Untrained, unskilled staff. Assigned room had paper holder falling off wall and hence no toilet paper. Why wouldn't housekeeping have reported this to management and if so, why were guests assigned to room before it was repaired? Reassigned room had towel bar loose from wall. No easy chair or side chair in room. Sleep Inns always have one. This one apparently has none in any rooms according to desk clerk, who had no idea what an "easy chair" was when we inquired if we could please have one. She said we would have to wait until morning, but, she had just checked us in for one night, so what good would that do? Duh! She then produced a straight chair from another room, where she said someone else had requested a chair. The hotel Web site clearly shows a side chair in the room photo. That's false advertising. Skimpy, unattended breakfast. Out of waffle mix. Out of cold cereal except one unacceptable. Unclean surfaces. No bread, and when requested, desk clerk said they had none. We had to go elsewhere for breakfast. This is the first time we've ever had to do that at any Choice property. Halls not clean, although room was clean. Housekeeping areas in disarray, an indicator of management neglect. Maintenance man was just standing around in the morning doing nothing except conversing with desk clerk when there were numerous needs unattended to. In the evening, desk clerk was only staff person in the building. We overheard numerous other guests complaining about various inadequacies, both evening and morning. This Sleep Inn should be renamed Cheap Inn. It doesn't deserve to be part of the Choice Hotel group.

• Liked — Good Wireless connection.
  • Disliked — A lot of things - poor maintenance, unacceptable breakfast, no easy chair in room, etc, etc.
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Resqmom
Reviewed 7 January 2009

3 night stay. Room not cleaned after 1st night. I asked desk clerk for clean towels. He said we would bring them to me. He didn't. If there were no clean towels or he didn't intend to bring them, he shouldn't have told me he'd bring them. I had to use wet towels 2nd morning.

I had asked the above mentioned desk clerk to have the manager call me when he arrived the next am. (He stated the manager arrived at 0630.) He didn't call. When I returned for the evening, I had to find him. There was a light out and a broken chair in the room. He was having them repaired due to a note I left housekeeping on the 1st (not cleaned, and 2nd day). He said he would adjust one of the nights rates.

The last evening, I asked a clerk to print me a mapquest map to the Atlanta airport. The server was slow and she was waiting for the maps to open. I offered to pick up the maps if she would call me when they printed and I'd come and pick it up. She never called. If she couldn't get the maps to print, she should have given me the a call so I was aware that I would need another map. When I checked out on the 18th @ 5a, the only really nice employee I met at the facility, couldn't adjust the bill and offered to print the map, but indicated it would take a while. I thanked her, but I had written it all down from the laptop.

Aside from the room not being cleaned, and wet towels, I found the lack of consideration and follow through to be very difficult to accept. If someone says they will do something, they should do it.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — inconsiderate employees
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled solo
Missouri
Reviewed 21 October 2008

We almost didn't stay here because of the negative reviews on Trip Advisor. But, due to some complications with our original hotel, we decided on Sleep Inn. We were very impressed at the condition of the Hotel. Good price, clean, no odors, quiet, friendly, good maid service, adequate continental breakfast (even had waffles). The shower door did leak if you shut the door wrong, but we had plenty of towels to keep it under control. The motel was just minutes from the base where we attended our sons graduation. Overall we had a great experience and would go back again.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
FL
Reviewed 7 October 2008

We booked our stay through the base, and they recommended this hotel, but I called and requested they NOT recommend it to anyone else.

Although the hotel had newer fixtures, carpet and the like, this hotel is far from being "recommendable". The TV cable reception is fuzzy, the Internet is slow and the shower door was poorly installed - as it leaked every time you used it. It turned cold but when we turned on the heater, the smoke alarm went off, so we quickly turned it back off.

My brother stayed in another room, and his room was even worse. In addition to the TV being fuzzy, the shower door would not close, he phone didn't work and with no alarm clock he couldn't even get a wake-up call.

In addition, you can hear the foot falls of the people in the room above you, so good luck sleeping. The breakfast was okay, but the syrup for the make-your-own waffle was extremely watered down.

My recommendation - stay somewhere else. There are many other nearby hotels, and this one is not worth the money.

• Liked — elevator
  • Disliked — smoking hotel
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
Arizona
Reviewed 1 December 2007

We arrived around 11:30 at night, and the front desk lady seemed to be upset that we disturbed her and her man friend as they viewed their laptop computer. The room was one king bed and a shower only bathroom that had a broken "pocket door" that didn't close all the way. It seemed to have been remodeled by someone that didn't know what they were doing. Corners were cut and some things not even finished. Sometimes we had hot showers and sometimes we didn't. Bed spreads with burn holes might need to be replaced, don't ya think.

• Liked — The outside of the motel was well kept.
  • Disliked — Where does one start? Night desk person, the bathroom.
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple