“Best food ever”
Review of Punjabi Dhaba - CLOSED

Punjabi Dhaba
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Buffet, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 5 November 2012

The buffet was so good over there .my kids love tandoori chicken and garlic naan.All staff are very friendly.i love the atmosphere over there.

1  Thank deepa12345678
There are newer reviews for Punjabi Dhaba

Reviewed 18 September 2012

Wish we read Brian G's review before our visit. The place is exactly as described by him. Filthy in one word. The food is one of the worst we have ever had. Starters were stale, the main course wasn't much better either, excessively salty, badly cooked and full of artificial color and saturated fats.

Reviewed 2 September 2012

I am here for few days and with my family have been trying Indian food in various places. I liked the service of Punjabi Dhaba , the service is really good, the lady at counter was really good. South Indian dosa not that exciting , but good range of North Indian food.

1  Thank Absus
Reviewed 18 August 2012

I was only brave enough to attempt the veggie dish but it was very tasty! Service was good & they took their time to explain different dishes and preparation. I've actually eaten here 3 times and haven't had an problems, but I always eat the same thing.

1  Thank akinginsc
Reviewed 29 July 2012

I am sorry it is so long, but there are a lot of important details. I wrote this review for various sites, and wanted to be sure to put it here, so don`t be surprised if you see it elsewhere.

We usually go to a different Indian restaurant, but some Indian friends recommended Punjabi Dhaba, so we decided to give it a try.

Pros:
1. The meat was better, he chicken had more flavor
1. The goat was significantly more tender than the other
restaurant.

Cons:
1. Dirty napkins covering food on buffet.
2. Numerous flies
3. Dirty Sari hanging over the windows.
3. Black bugs along window sills
4. Two cockroaches ran across our table- one between the plates
and I had to squash it with my knife.
5. Terrible customer service.
6. Possibly eating in cockroach poison.
7. They are running a buffet with an admitted cockroach
infestation-be careful you are not eating cockroaches.
8. Stomach problems for the next 5 days.

==================

I will recount my visit now:

We walked in that evening, about 30 min before closing. The main bar was in a hallway with all the lights turned off. At first I thought we were the only ones there, except for the staff who were all sitting in the dark in very dirty shirts talking.

The waiter walked us back to the main room, where there were about 4 families and it was better lit-so I felt better. I noticed a few flies, but ignored it, and I noticed that they had some type of Sari cloth hanging on the windows. They were also kind of dirty looking-clearly not washed in a long time.

Whatever, not a big deal to me.

I went to the buffet. There were two dirty napkins laying ON the food in the buffet. Then the staff came, picked it up, and put a little more chicken under one of them, placing the napkin back on the food. I realized that they were using it as a cover. They looked disgusting.

I noticed my wife kept looking around and was not eating much. She is pregnant, so I just kind of didn’t worry, she does that sometimes, but I did notice.

As I ate desert some flies landed on the Sari near me and my daughter yelled flies (2 years old). My wife told me that she had seen some small black bugs crawling along the window sill. As I brushed the Sari aside to see, two cockroaches made an appearance, one ran across the window and then under our table. The other was on our table-I don’t know where he came from, and was running between our plates. I squashed him with my knife and called the waiter over. I showed him the cockroach and told him what happened. He said, “I am so sorry sir. We just sprayed for them last night and we don`t know where they are coming from.” Then he gave me my bill.

Normally I would have been outraged and yelled, but I was more shocked than anything else. I paid and left, but I was thinking: wait a minute. If you fumigated last night, how can you be open today? If you sprayed it takes time to kill, plus everything needs to be cleaned. The Sari were certainly not washed, did I just sit in and eat fumigation spray?

Then I realized, they opened a buffet with a known cockroach infestation. How many cockroaches must there be to run across the middle of a table in a restaurant with 3 people sitting at it-one a two year old- sunlight still coming in the windows. Also, had it already run across our silverware and cups while they were sitting empty on the table waiting on a customer to come into the restaurant?

Then I thought, even worse, if he did not give me a discount or free meal, then this must happen all the time. If it was a onetime occurrence, then surely he and the managers (that heard me-they were watching closely but did not even move or say a word to me) would have stepped in and done SOMETHING.

Then I realized, to my horror, if there are that many cockroaches, you KNOW they got in the BUFFET. How could they resist, and in the midst of curry with a bunch of chunks of unknown food items-how could I even tell if I was eating a cockroach? I would not be able to tell.

It may have been mental, but for about 5 days my stomach hurt and I had light diarrhea.

2  Thank Brian G