“Regular Business Guest”

Ranked #16 of 94 Hotels in Columbia
New York City, New York
“Regular Business Guest”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

For the past 16 months I have been a regular business guest at this location with stays on average of three days every six weeks.

The rooms are standard mid-tier Marriott with thin doors to the outside hallway.

Hotel is generally very clean and I have never had an issue except for the random stray hair.

Bedding is the typical heavily used sheeting and could use an upgrade.

What hurts this hotel is the complete lack of a business center. The facility demands, due to its location, a 24 hour room with parcel service, copier, computers and wireless printers/scanners for those with their own PC.

The concierge lounge is always packed early for an acceptable breakfast and it is a MUST that you have access.

However, even the printer in the concierge lounge is always out of paper or toner.

Internet is reliable and typically slow for the free option. As with any business traveler an investment in your own mifi device is recommended.

Staff is excellent and friendly - in particular the bell staff and a fine man named Eugene who is there during the day. He is a gentleman who cares about all he meets. An asset to be applauded.

In short: the staff deserves a better facility even though there has been a lobby upgrade within the past six months.

I will always return - that is the important part of the review.

Room Tip: Concierge access is a must.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
JoelDarrGM1200, General Manager at Columbia Marriott, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear Louis H,
I thank you for taking the time to share your comments with the Tripadvisor community. I am happy to read that our team has taken great care of you and that you find the hotel to be clean. We are working on improving the Business Center and better high speed is on its way. Thank you for your loyalty and for choosing to stay with us.

Joel Darr

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Having been to this facility many times in the past, it is now a property to be proud of. It is state-of-the-art and more than eye-appealing. It seems they have thought of everything when they untook to update this facility. Their food is, by far, the best I have tasted in Columbia. I couldn't have said that a couple of years ago. I highly recommend the Shrimp and Grits! But all the dishes look and, the ones I've eaten, taste scrumptious. I thought I had the best Columbia had to offer until I ate at the Marriott. Many of our out-of-town guests only wish to stay at the Columbia Marriott Downtown --- now I understand why! It is fabulous!

Room Tip: King Suite is fabulous!
Dear Marie B,

Thank you for taking the time to share your amazing feedback about the Marriott Columbia and the food / service in Midlands'. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us and hope to welcome you back soon for some more Shrimp and Grits!

Best Regards,

Rockwall, Texas
Reviewed 6 May 2014

For several years I have been coming to Columbia, SC and have stayed at a number of hotels. Each tries, but the Columbia Marriott has assembled the premier team of consummate professionals who make the difference. As most know, a room is a room, but the real difference is the staff. They cook, clean, service and pay attention. The Columbia Marriott has assembled a wonderful team of dedicated, caring, and professional team members who truly work to make your stay as enjoyable and productive as possible. You may not know or remember their names...but they remember yours. Erin, Julie, Chelsea, Josh, Maria, Nancy, Rachel, Alan, Christian, Keith, Katrina, Eugene...they all get it right. What is so amazing is that you can tell these people really are genuinely sincere. The type of care and sincerity they provide is not mandated in a mere job description. You can probably find a cheaper hotel...but you will not find a hotel that cares about you and takes as good care of you as the Columbia Marriott and their team of wonderful professionals. It is a pleasure to come to the Columbia Marriott repeatedly as they repeatedly do a GREAT job of taking care of guests and caring about each and every individual. As a testament to how well this place runs...for the first time in about 15 years...I overslept this morning...It doesn't get any better than that!

1 Thank dcseny
JoelDarrGM1200, General Manager at Columbia Marriott, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear dcseny,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share such amazing comments with the TripAdvisor community about the Marriott Columbia. My team and I truly appreciate you choosing to stay with us every week. We consider you family and look forward to each of your visits with us. I am so happy to have the privilege to work with great guests like you and associates of the hotel. Thank you again and I look forward to next week.

Best Regards,

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 5 May 2014

You won't find a better staff in any hotel than Josh, Christian, and the team at the Marriott. I have been coming here for over a month each week for work and after the first stay the team knew who I was by name as if I had been staying there for years.

I have stayed at dozens of hotels over the years inside and outside the states and you won't find a more welcoming or friendly staff. Even after a long day of travel or a long day at the client site, the team at the Columbia Marriott always brings a smile to my face and a laugh or two to make the day right.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side of the building offer great sunrise and sunset colors on the city.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
JoelDarrGM1200, General Manager at Columbia Marriott, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear BrianSichi,

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to post such nice comments about the Marriott Columbia, Josh and Christian. I agree, they are Brilliant Hosts. My team and I know you have a choice of where to stay, we very much appreciate you choosing the Marriott Columbia. Thank you again for your comments and your loyalty. I wish you safe and exciting travels.

Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I pre-booked a paid-in-full room online via the Marriott official web site months in advance, was told I would be charged for the room immediately. Arrived and confirmed at check in the room was pre-paid, confirmed at check out the room was pre-paid, and then I wake up today to find a huge charge on may card for the room. Apparently my pre-payment got lost by their system. Now I'm stuck spending my day at my bank trying to figure things out and prove I paid for the room twice, dealing w/ reimbursements from my company, talking to hotel managers, etc.

Extremely frustrating and front office staff's attitude was combative and unhelpful.

The room was acceptable if somewhat dated, no ventilation in the bathroom, the internet was un-usable all weekend regardless of whether you use the free "slow" connection or pay for the premium connection. Those issues aside this would be a 3-4 rating if I weren't going to have to spend my valuable time figuring out their billing mistake.

Wish I had paid a little more for the Sheraton right down the street.

1 Thank Matthew R
Dear Matthew R,

Thank you for posting your comments regarding your recent visit. I am glad I was able to speak with you today on the phone as well. I am happy that you found the hotel to be a nice place to stay. I am very sorry my team did not promptly charge you in advance as your reservation required. I fully understand your frustration with our team not charging you properly and that you did not find the complimentary internet as strong as you would like. We do have a tiered system that increases the speed allocated per user with a small fee. I hope you choose to visit us again my apologies for the poor billing experience.

San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Our stay at the Marriott was quite remarkable. We have traveled the world quite extensively, but we have yet to find the customer service that we received at the Columbia Marriott. The front desk was wonderful. The two managers, Rachel and Cheryl(I believe that was their names) were so very people oriented. The property was extremely clean. The one thing that made us so impressed however was the manager of the property. Mr. Darr was very visible on the property every day from sitting people at the breakfast brunch, to seeing a lady with luggage and helping her with them. I don't believe that I have ever seen the executive general manager of a four or five star hotel making every effort to make sure his employees and his guest were good. It is refreshing to see a hotel that one can go and feel the atmosphere as one that is inviting as it is at the Columbia Marriott. Thank you to all of the employees at the Marriott including Ben who took us to the airport in the shuttle. Great job everyone!!!!!!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
JoelDarrGM1200, General Manager at Columbia Marriott, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Dear Coach012,

I would like to extend a personal thank you for posting such nice comments about our hotel on Trip Advisor. Your comments help validate all of our hard work and focus to make your stay Brilliant. I am blessed to be surrounded with amazing associates who truly care about their guests. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for recognizing our team for their efforts. I wish you safe and exciting travels and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Matthews, North Carolina
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Being a military officer I find it necessary to be at Fort Jackson frequently. I always seek to stay at the Columbia Marriott hotel first. The reason? Their people. From the front desk to housekeeping to the excellent personnel in the restaurant and the coffee bar the Columbia Marriott exceeds expectations. I want to particularly note the excellent service of Liliana and Roxy and Nico. What a tremendous team.

One antidote: on one of my visits I fell ill while in the cafe. It was an internal, neurological condition. I fainted. The staff, led by Liliana, carried me to the room. They stayed in the room until I got better. They telephone my wife and received instructions from her. When I returned appearing much better, the staff greeted me and said, "welcome home."

In fact, that is exactly where I felt I was staying.

Dear Michael M,

Thank you so much for posting such a nice review regarding your experiences at the Columbia Marriott. I must agree, Liliana, Roxy and Nico are all among the best in the business. I will be sure to share your comments with the team as their service needs to be celebrated. My team and I very much appreciate you choosing to stay with us and hope to welcome you back soon. I wish you safe and exciting travels.